Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Motorola E815 backlight while charging

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by DonVito, Mar 5, 2007.

1. DonVito

DonVito New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I just got a new e815 a couple days ago since I broke my last one. I like the e815 because it has the same feature's as the razr but the insurance and the deductible is cheaper. I had the problem with my old one of turning off sometimes when i was trying to charge it but it wasn't to bad. just turn it off and back on and it usually worked. this new one doesnt have any signs of that yet but ive only had it a couple days. but the thing i noticed on this new e815 is that it wont dim the backlight when its charging i always would wait for it to dim before i go to sleep on my old e815. Ive tried to change the backlight settings and everything but nothing helps. i am just wondering if this is a problem or if it will cause the backlight to die quicker or what?? it doesn't bother me while im sleeping so its not a big deal in that aspect

id appreciate any comments on this

Justin

2. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Whenever I plug mine into the car charger it always stays fully lit even though it will dim after being plugged into the AC outlet for about 30 seconds. I'm not sure what causes the difference though.

This may sound completely off the wall, but I have noticed a couple times when my backlight will stay completely on even on AC charge and it seems to happen more often when I plug it up in the daytime by a window. Could it be possible that there's a light sensor on those phones that determines if the backlight will stay on at full tilt? If so, try doing it in the dark and see what results you get because you might possibly just have a sensitive phone to light. Maybe before too long somebody else that knows a little bit more about what may be causing it will have an idea that's based more out of technical knowledge.

3. E815Blues

E815Blues New Member

The E815 has a light sensor. to test, just cover up the entire area below the zero key and the key lights will come on during text entry.

4. DonVito

DonVito New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    i kniow about the keypad backlight sensor i just ment when the phones closed the screen backlight is full lit and not dimmed like the previous e815 that i had. i also had the v710 before the e815 and that also dimmed when it was charging. i have the backlight set to a 5 second delay when its flipped open and that also doesnt work when its charging it stays lit constantly and doesnt dim but my previous phone would. has there been an update or anything lately:confused: the main thing i wanna know is if it will effect the life of the main screen backlight?? :)

5. E815Blues

E815Blues New Member

Sorry Don, I was actually replying to UFO's comment of wondering if there was a light sensor on the phone. Regarding the backlight during charging. I tried to charge mine via the wall outlet and found that the phone backlight dims after 30 seconds. My SW version is 8720_01.1E.00 and I have had mine for about 2 years. In looking at my phone, I couldn't find anything about a firmware version, so either the OS does not show you the firmware version or the phone functionality is completely dependant upon SW. Im not sure of the SW architecture, but its possible that they made a SW change (thus affecting your rev) such that the code to dim the backlight during charging was removed. Code space is at a premium and since the phone has a power source during charging, there's little reason to conserve power. The backlight is the most power hungry portion of a typical phone. (I was responsible for the post-silicon validation of the processor's power management unit of a couple of Intel's cell phone processors.) I would expect that the backlight would normally outlive the phone (at least the buttons and other mechanics). If your phone does not dim in ANY situation, I think you may have a warranty claim.

6. DonVito

DonVito New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    it dims just fine when its not charging. BTW my S/W version is 8720_05.05.00 i cant remember what my old phone was. so it looks like maybe there was a change to the S/W version but i dunno. i just always liked it when my old one would dim because it was at the perfect brightness to see outside display at night.

7. DonVito

DonVito New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    wow i tried the old charger from my old e815 and the backlight dims perfectly. the new charger that came with this phone has an output of 4.4V with 1.5A and the old one is 4.6V with 0.775A i wonder why motorola changes their chargers voltages from charger to charger.... would it hurt to use the old charger or do i have to use the one that came with this new phone????

8. AndThenScottSays...

AndThenScottSays... Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile (prepaid)
    The one you have will charge the phone much faster. I'm not sure why, but all of a sudden in the past few months they started shipping 815's with that charger.

9. DonVito

DonVito New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    i dont understand why motorola would make so many different chargers with different power outputs. ive had some that output 5.9v 5.2v 4.6v and 4.4v and all with different amps. as long as the plug is the same i should be able to use the old charger right?? i cant see motorola making so many different chargers without them working on all 2 prong charger port phones pds and other devices. the mini usb should become a standard but then motorola wouldnt have to keep producing phones to replace the ones that dont charger lol so i dont think that will happen

10. DonVito

DonVito New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    so can i use either charger without a problem or do i have to use the one that came with this new phone. they are both motorola chargers so i dont think they will hurt it. i just wanna make sure it wont damage it or anything like that :)

11. AndThenScottSays...

AndThenScottSays... Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile (prepaid)
    It won't hurt it. As long as it's the right charging port you're good. Just charges faster/slower.

12. DonVito

DonVito New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    yea time isnt a problem for me as long as i remember to plug it in before i go to sleep lol. i love my e815 its got all the features of a v3c or other razrs but its unique looking because not as many people have them :p when i first got this phone the charger port on my v710 got broke somehow. the only thing i thought was nice about the v710 is that it also had analog so i didnt actually drop calls but i didnt like the static that was on analog so the all digital e815 doesnt bother me so much. then when i broke the whole screen off the hinge of the e815 it still worked on speaker phone so i though that was pretty cool that i could still use the voice command and get my contacts off of it lol :D:D:D:D:D i love alltel and this phone :p

13. K8TEK

K8TEK New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Nextel
    The backlight stays on when charging with an OEM car charger. OEM chargers have an additional positive applied to the 3 charger pins. Plug in chargers do not have this feature. Also, non-OEM chargers do not have this feature, at least none that I have found.