Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Motorola - A Brief History

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by charlyee, May 30, 2012.

1. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

"The Rest Of The Story"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  2. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

Reading this article brought me back to a place in time. A time when the only thing I needed my phone for was a simple call or a text. Motorola was one of my favorites back in the day. Matter of fact I still have my Motorola Red RAZR V3xx that I got many years ago and still use once in a while. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

3. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I still have a new RAZR I bought several years ago as a back-up but never used.

As a radio-guy (worked 15 years with satellite and cellular) I have a weak-spot for radio companies with long histories. I didn't realize Motorola radios were used in space on the Apollo missions (learn something new every day). I did know they were first used in combat in WW2, and that I used them in the military in the 90's as well.

The government/military side of Motorola is still in-tact and doing well. It's just the phones/set-top-box division that was doing poorly, and was spun off and bought by Google (I believe Motorola stopped the network side of things, ie: I don't think they don't produce cellular base-stations anymore). It'll be interesting to see how the new "Google-era" of Motorola Mobility pans out. I think it's a good match actually, and I think Motorola has been making a good come-back since adopting Android a few years ago, with a good line of phones boosted by Verizon. Personally I'm glad they are keeping the Droid line going, as there's not many phones out there that have a physical QWERTY keyboard. And of the ones that are out there, the Droid is pretty much the only one that's a quality device, that I've seen.

Speaking of telecom companies with long histories, I was sad to see Nortel fold a couple of years ago and get broken up. They were around longer than Motorola I believe. Things have been moving quickly in the telecom world. Glad to see Motorola will be around a while still.

...and of course no history of Motorola would be complete without a pic of this guy ;)

[​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.