Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Moto Q in Eastern Utah?

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by foufymaus, Apr 23, 2007.

1. foufymaus

foufymaus Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG Glimmer
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Hey everyone,
    I was just wondering if i should purchase the Moto Q or not, Because i live in an area where we don't have EVDO and are in the Axcess Mobile Link (aml) area. I'm wondering if the speeds are too slow for a Q or maybe i should look in to the Blackberry's

so essentially what is the better choice for the Eastern Utah AML coverage area?

thanks

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Hey there,

Where in UT are you located again? (Just wondering).

If you are looking into getting a blackberry or Q, you are most likely looking for a device that allows for internet access, correct?
    Unless I'm mistaken, both phones are EVDO ready, so I would say either one are fine, and when ALLTEL eventually rolls out EVDO in your area you will have a device ready to use it.
    1x/AML is about as fast as a dial up connection. I guess the speed of the connection depends on what you are used to. ;)
    Take care,

Andy

3. foufymaus

foufymaus Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG Glimmer
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    yep your right, i was looking for something with internet access, Im used to broadband/T1 but if its dialup...im not sure. I guess it depends on when EVDo comes out here to Price. If ya have an ETA on when that'll be ;)

I guess i'll save my pennies until it comes eh? Thanks for the reply.

#3 foufymaus, Apr 24, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  4. dolphin_crazed

dolphin_crazed Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel; Verizon Wireless
    Personally, I have not been able to get a schedule for 2007 roll out of EV-DO. So, if anyone else has some contacts to answer that question, go for it.

As far as the connection, 1x is akin to dialup (40-70k, burst of 144k).

When comparing a Blackberry and a Q, they are definitely 2 different devices.

Normally, if you are going to be attached to your email, I would say go Blackberry. IMHO, Blackberries have got the email setup really well (except when the entire North American server has a problem, see issue from last week). I haven't done much web surfing on a Blackberry personally, but what I have done, it has done well. Also, Blackberries can appear to go pretty fast because they are designed to do their data in 2kb bursts.

If you need more of an overall PDA/phone type of device, then go with the Q. It does have a camera, that really awesome screen, expandable memory, the ability to transfer files through bluetooth, and stereo sound.

As was mentioned before, they are both EV-DO capable, so it would automatically (or after PRL update) go up to that when it becomes available in your area. As far as a difference in the 2 networks, I can't really give one because Tampa was one of the first EV-DO markets and that was over a year before any of the smartphones were out.

Hope this gives you some help.

Saving your pennies is a good thing, I need to do more of that. :D