Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Moto Q CDMA

Discussion in 'MOTOROLA' started by GoodmanR, Sep 20, 2005.

1. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    Anyone know whether or not there are actually plans for a CDMA Q? I thought I read on phone scoop that there were plans for a Q with EVDO which would be amazing. Can anyone confirm this and/or suggest the quarter we might see this device in? I think the GSM side is expected in Q1 2006 IIRC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Seeing as how the rumors have been DEAFENING silence now aday's? I would say CDMA is QTR 2. But who knows right. The CDMA RAZR is suposed to be a thanksgiving release.

3. bonoriffic

bonoriffic Senior Member

My Phone:
    V9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The Q will only be available for CDMA. No GSM release is planned. Q1 2006

4. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):

Interesting....It seems stupid of Motorola not to release this on the GSM side. Microsoft is really tryign to break into RIM's market, but not many Fortune 500 companies that I know of buy BB or device service from CDMA carriers...

I'm assuming VZW will carry this? Any word on EVDO?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    It's surprising to see the CDMA side get something this nice before GSM (if GSM gets it at all).

6. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I'm surprised as well, but i bet CDMA users will not be complaining.

#6 Tony E!, Sep 22, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  7. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):

Can it complete with the new BlackBerry though? I don't think so..,

8. bonoriffic

bonoriffic Senior Member

My Phone:
    V9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It depends on what features you want. The Moto Q runs Windows Mobile 2005 which has e-mail push, so it will be "Blackberry like" in that you get your e-mail automatically. Assuming this feature works as described, then the Moto Q will be a far more powerful and useful device than any Blackberry.

The Moto Q also has been seen running blackberry software too, I'm just not sure if it will get released.

9. xikle

xikle For rent: inquire below

My Phone:
    BB Curve
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Moble
    So that would be called the Motoberry? Would that just be for a test or a possible future between Moto and RIM?

10. string216

string216 Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
  11. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    And, here comes the new and more exciting question, what will set the "Q" apart (aside from form factor) from the forthcoming Treo 700W, which will ALSO run WinMobile 5.0, but has the added benefit of the Palm reputation for well-built hardware?

12. string216

string216 Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I would definately guess RF. That comes with respective reputations.

13. bonoriffic

bonoriffic Senior Member

My Phone:
    V9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No external antenna design and time to market will be the Q advantage. It is very risky for Zander to claim a 2005 release. Verizon is quite found of just stopping all testing on phones for weeks at a time.

14. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):

Its interesting to hear it's been running Blackberry. I can tell you there is significant resistance from corporate IT managers with regards to Microsoft OS devices. People don't yet trust Microsoft as much as Blackberry. RIM and the BES have a stellar reputation with IT managers and thought to be far more secure than what Microsoft is offering. Additionally, most companies have already invested in BES and are quite happy with it. In short, I don't see this device, or any Treo competing directly with a new Blackberry like the 87XX. They may sell plenty of units, but no big RIM customers will trust their data wirelessly to Microsoft for awhile.

15. bonoriffic

bonoriffic Senior Member

My Phone:
    V9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    But most major corporations have also already invested in Exchange, and are highly unlikely to stop investing in it, and thus instantly support Windows Mobile 2005. The real breakthrough for large corporations will be wi-fi enabled phones that switch to their secure internal wireless network inside a building providing 100% coverage and secure data. Cingular is dragging their feet on accepting these phones so expect Europe to get the wi-fi RAZR first.

16. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    RIM is already selling Blackberries that use wifi and voip...only problem is that they don't also support a cellular network...

Companies have invested in Exchange, but I still don't think they want to open up their handhelds to the worms and viruses that come along with Microsoft anything.

17. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    So...RIM announced today that they'll be using Intel processors (up to about 1GHZ) in the next generation of Blackberries. This is a smart move by RIM, 1GHZ is pretty fast.

18. Industry_Insider

My Phone:
    V551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Yes EVDO included. Confirmed for Q1 release.

19. bonoriffic

bonoriffic Senior Member

My Phone:
    V9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Confirmed by whom? When the CEO comes out and says it will ship this year, it usually does. Even before the CEO made those remarks it had a rough delivery date of the first week of January. This as always is dependant on Verizon's testing schedule but it has already made it through a couple rounds with no real issues.

I'd wait until Moto's quarterly numbers come out next week. If the numbers aren't what people expected, you better believe this phone will be on store shelves in time for Christmas. Listen in to the analyist meeting, a high profile phone like the Q will probably be directly asked about.

20. Industry_Insider

My Phone:
    V551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Confirmed by me. Regardless of Motorola's results this phone will not be out for Christmas. This phone will be launched in Q1.

21. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Care to give us some clue as to how you know this?

22. Industry_Insider

My Phone:
    V551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    I would tell ya but then I would have to kill you...I know cheesey line.

All I can say is I'm confident in my statement. Take it for what its worth, one guy's opinion. I've read enough of bonnorific's posts to know he's right most of the time but in this case I think you will eventually see that I'll be right. If not, no big deal to me, I've been wrong before and will again in the future.:biggrin:

23. bonoriffic

bonoriffic Senior Member

My Phone:
    V9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    As all cell phone release dates are subject to change, especially ones destined for Verizon, I'll give everyone the current situation and you can confirm your own release date.

The CDMA Q and CDMA V3 were always projected as Q1 releases. Things have changed, there is no longer a GSM release for this version of the Q. Someone must be confident of Verizon's ability to sell this very expensive phone to set GSM aside for the moment. That speed up Moto CDMA Q development. The CDMA V3 was also identified as an important Christmas release so efforts were stepped up there too.

According to Verizon's own internal estimates, the Q will be approved to ship in late November. Now if Motorola is confident in the phone passing, they start ramping up production a few weeks before this date so they are ready to ship several thousand right away. Moto and Verizon have a long history of always needing more testing time, or Verizon even more famously just stopping the testing effort completely for 1 - 2 months. They also like to start the entire testing cycle over again as was the case with the V710.

Moto most likely won't ramp up the 30 to 40 thousand phones needed for launch too far in advance. And the phone probably slips a week or two because I've yet to see Moto release anything on time. So it will be close, but the phone will still most likely ship this year. Now keep in mind a phone "shipping" and the phone being available at your local Best Buy are two different things. The A840 shipped almost 3 months before you could actually buy it. The V710 was held back for 3 weeks. This is because Verizon may be waiting for large stockpiles so they can have a nationwide ad compaign, or they might be waiting for the phone it is replacing to go on sale, etc.

My point is, things change. Quickly. Nothing is confirmed, despite what Industry_Insider claims to know. Remember he/she also confirmed the PEBL as an August or September ship date, and that phone is still 6 weeks away from being ready. The CEO of Verizon doesn't have a firm ship date, so how could anyone else? The final mystery is the V3. If it came down to Verizon working a few days overtime to get the V3 tested or the Q tested, you better believe the V3 will always win. It is a far more important phone to Moto and Verizon to have ready before Christmas.

24. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Bonoriffic, et al:

I was contacted by someone who works for Motorola and is very concerned about the non-disclosure agreement and information that seems to be appearing on this board that should not be.

This person, (I am obviously avoiding even indicating gender) advised that Verizon testing has not started yet so how bonorifiic can make such a claim is beyond their understanding. According to the source, the phone has not even been submitted by Motorola to Verizon for testing, so it is impossible for the phone under discussion to have passed any testing.

Those of you who are working for carriers, manufacturers or whatever, please be careful about sharing what you know that is not yet public knowledge. Events in the news media ought to be enough to make you think twice.

"Industry_Insider": Bad choice of a user name (in my humble opinion). That's like putting a bullseye on your forehead. I guess you're safe as long as you don't cross the line of non-disclosure.

25. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    My $0.02:

CDMA V3: Sometime between thanksgiving and Christmass (Too big an oppertunity to miss, too much money to be made.)

MOTO Q: No need for a Christmass release...possibly coinside with new Black berry AND a price drop in all other data devices. This will be almost a purely BUSINESS decision (aka: how and when can we time all this to make the most money possible.)

26. bonoriffic

bonoriffic Senior Member

My Phone:
    V9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I don't work for Verizon, so any documents I see I'm not subject to a non-disclosure agreement. aGPS testing has been completed by Verizon, so yes I'm correct in saying the phone has started some level of testing.

As to other comments on this thread, none have disclosed any proprietary information that hasn't already been made public in other forums, news stories, etc. Your friend at Motorola can rest easy. I'd say this forum is almost dead. I'd be more concerned with the Howard Forums boards that opening discuss where to download pirated copies of Motorola software and opening share copyrighted flex files and flashing software. People on this board, myself included, strongly discourage this and make posters aware they are asking to do illegal things.

I'll give this nod to Industry_Insider, he sticking to Q1 and I've been made aware that my inside knowledge was based on estimated schedules, not actuals. So yes KJ, your friend at Motorola is semi-correct, the first official phase of testing has not begun. Although I wouldn't be too proud of being right, this news means Moto is yet again well behind schedule at a critical time of the year.

As I've stated earlier, based on my poor ROKR info I've grown to no longer trust my Moto source. I may hang it up, this forum hasn't seen much activity in a long time, and I may be running out of useful things to say myself.

27. string216

string216 Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Say it aint so, Bono, Say it aint so!

28. Industry_Insider

My Phone:
    V551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Bonoriffic, yes I was incorrect about the Pebble launch, I think I just mentioned I've been wrong in the past and will be again in the future. But I just heard Pebble is launching now, not sure if this includes the US market but they are definitely launching the phone. It may be another few weeks before it's ready in the US though.

Regarding Q, I agree its disappointing that Motorola is slipping the date but my sources are telling me 1st Qrtr hence why I'm making the prediction.

Regarding V3 (CDMA), didn't they release that already?

29. Industry_Insider

My Phone:
    V551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Kevin, I may be new to WA but I'm not new to the wireless industry. I picked the name because it represents the years I've been associated with the wireless industry (12 years). Of course over the years I've made some close friends who have solid information as I'm sure alot of the other posters here have. In the rare case where I am privy to true "insider" information I never disclose. I'm careful not to step over that line as Bonorific mentioned. I'm not sure why that would mean I have a bullseye on my forehead, unless you know something I don't :)

30. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    just more of a kind caution than anything else.