Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Missed call alerts on Nokias?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by Flyer00, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Flyer00

Flyer00 Junior Member

I had the Nokia 3390 a few years ago with VoiceStream and thought the phone was pretty cool -- especially the form factor. However, I always wished it would have had a 2 minute beep or something when you missed a call or had a message waiting. I'd always forgot to look at the screen for hours and realize I had a missed call. Now that there's a possibility that Verizon may get some of the new Nokias coming out, I'd be interested in checking them out. But the lack of that feature alone would probably turn me away from them. Can any AT&T or Cingular Nokia users answer this for me? Thanks!

2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    My Nokia phones (s) will display a voice message received. If I don't do anything about it, it beeps at me periodically. I can't say off hand how often, but maybe every 10 minutes.

If it is important to you, I can run a little test.

I think if I ignore the voice message display (ie and make a phone call or do something else), then the beep reminder may go off and only the little symbol in the upper left corner is shown. I guess the software assumes that you've see the display and chose to ignore it.

3. tylerdurden

tylerdurden Senior Member

Every Nokia I've ever had only activates the notification sound one time. If you don't hear that, you're out of luck unless you actually look at the screen.

4. MR2driver

MR2driver New Member

The phone will re-alert you fo the vm message when it drops out of signal and then regains signal. The phone creates a new registration when regaining signal and that is what causes it to re-alert you of vm message.

5. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I was fooled! I retract what I said.

I like my phone so I keep looking at it, almost never do I let a VM sit around. But when I do, apparently the reminder beep was related to being in and out of a 'radio free' area of my office building. MR2driver comment is right.

I did learn something. In GSM mode, driving home I lost the carrier for less than a second, and then the phone beeped, but that was all. It returned to GSM.

However, later the phone lost signal completely again, when it came back in TDMA mode, it beeped but displayed the full banner 'You have a new VM'. The phone (or more likely the provider service) behaves differently for the 2 modes.

Anyhow, Flyer00 its seems your out of luck, at least with Cingular and Nokia.

6. Flyer00

Flyer00 Junior Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I wish Nokia would include this feature! I got used to it with the Motorola v60 and I REALLY miss it on the VX4400. I know the T720/730 has it but the reception on that phone is aweful. Oh well [​IMG]