Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Mini-review of Samsung Moment

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by AnthroMatt, Feb 8, 2010.

1. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I was debating whether or not this should go in the Samsung forum, but since the Moment is a Sprint exclusive in the US, I decided to post it here.

I will give a brief rundown of some features on a 10-point scale, then go more in depth.

Reception: 8/10 with one caveat (explained later)
    Call quality: 9/10 (earpiece), 3/10 (speakerphone)
    battery life: 2/10 (with GPS on) 10/10 with GPS off
    Screen: 10/10
    Menu speeds: 9/10
    Keyboard: 7/10
    Camera: 6/10

First off, for a Samsung, this phone has exhibited the most "stable" reception of any previous Samsung I have used. The signal bars do not fluctuate nearly as much as they did on my Instinct, for example. There does seem to be an issue with the phone and the Airave...sometimes I miss calls and can't make outbound calls. I did get a new router on Saturday though, and since then, no issues. I can't say for certain that the problem has been solved, but 2+ days without incident is a good sign.

Call quality through the earpiece is excellent, perhaps the best I have had on any CDMA phone. The speakerphone is lousy...very tinny audio. I wouldn't use it except if on hold or navigating through automated systems.

Battery life really depends upon how you use the phone. With GPS enabled, Google Maps/Latitude would update my location every 30 seconds or so and I would have a dead battery in less than 8 hours with very minimal usage. With GPS disabled the battery easily lasts all day with moderate usage. This is all the more impressive considering the phone has an 800MHz processor. Typically phone manufacturers will ship CDMA variants of GSM devices with slower processors to save on battery life. With a smaller battery, the Moment gets equal talk time as the HTC Hero, which has a larger battery and slower processor. I think this is attributed to the GORGEOUS 12million color AMOLED display. Not only is the display stunning, but this type of display is a great conservator of battery power.

The phone does not lag much at all, except for when it first wakes from sleep. Most smartphones have some sort of lag now and then, and the Moment is certainly not any worse than any other phone I have used.

Web browsing is very quick and the browser is excellent. Not quite as good as Safari on my iPod touch, but definitely quicker and better at rendering than the BB native browser.

The physical keyboard is the main reason why I selected the Moment over the Hero, and it is one of the best slider-style QWERTY keyboards I have used. I still prefer the keyboard on my old Tour, but the Moment's is perfectly adequate.

The camera is a good camera. Not as good as the 3.2MP camera on my Tour, but pretty close. Like the Instinct though, there are not many additional user controls so it makes adjusting for poor lighting conditions nearly impossible. At least there is a flash on the Moment, unlike the Hero.

The touchscreen is very responsive as well. Certainly an improvement over the only other Samsung touchscreen I have used (Instinct).

Overall I think that after 2 weeks with the phone I would give it an 8/10, which is probably as high as I would ever rate a phone.

I have attached a screenshot of my phone just for the heck of it...I am using Open Home with a Gators skin. :biggrin:

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sounds good. So does this mean you'll keep the phone for longer than 3 months? ;)

Hopefully the CL14 update will allow future OTA firmware updates so people don't have to try and find a service center who can actually do the update.

Also the one minor annoyance that I had at first was no clearly labeled 'shift' key on the keyboard. But once you figure that out it's easy.

3. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Allegedly it does. I guess the original firmware release did not include any kind of recovery mode, so a failed update = a bricked phone. The CL14 update supposedly adds a recovery mode that will allow a phone to be saved in the event the OS or firmware update goes horribly wrong.

4. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Oh how naive I was when I wrote this! lol.

I revise my score to 6/10!

5. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    i don't blame you. that phone is a junker

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Did you ever get it to work on the Airave? lol

7. a1018

a1018 New Member

um mb u can help me i have an m900 and i wanted a better home launcher so i downloaded panda big mistake now i cant get into my phone what do i do:(:(

no i didnt but im so screwed

some one help me please:(

#7 a1018, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2010
  8. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah, Panda is not a good choice. LauncherPro and ADW Launcher are better IMO. If you can't get into your phone at all (meaning you can't get it to turn on) I think th eonly option is to re-flash the software back to stock. THey can do this for you at a Sprint repair center or you can do it yourself if you download the Samsung Moment software from Sprint - Software Downloads - Select your device type

9. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Not really. It would work on the Airave about 30% of the time.

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I'm sure your Epic will work much better! :D

11. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    LMAO. I think I may give up on Samsung for a while.