Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Mini Review: Katana DLX vs. Razr2 (V9m)

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by AnthroMatt, Apr 12, 2008.

1. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I have been using the Razr2 for over a month, and while playing around on the Sprint site, I guess I ordered a Katana DLX instead of selecting "cancel." Oops.

So while I wait for Sprint to send me the return kit for the Katana DLX, I figured I could compare it to my Razr2.

[sarcasm] It's not everyday that you get treated to a review of two phones that have been out for 6 months or so, so everyone should feel very lucky! [/sarcasm]

Appearance: Razr2 wins this in a landslide. This is easily the "sexiest" phone I have ever owned. The only drawback is that it likes to attract fingerprints. They wipe off easily enough though. I have the silver version of the Katana DLX, and it is not going to catch anyones attention (unless you blind them with a reflection off this shiny upper portion of the flip). I get the feeling this phone would scratch up easily as well.

Build quality Razr2 wins again, though not my much. The DLX feels cheap and plastic-y. It does have the nice Sanyo click when opening and closing the flip. I'm not sure why I like that as much as I do, but it is nice. The metal housing of the Razr feels much more sturdy, and the added weight of the phone makes me feel like I actually have a phone and not a toy in my hand. I also like the wideness of the Razr. It is more comfortable to hold for long periods of time than the narrower form of the DLX. Also, texting is a lot harder on the DLX because the keys are not easy to feel and they are tough to push. The location of the charging port and the volume buttons on the Katana also leave much to be desired.

Reception Razr2 wins by a little. Can't go wrong either way though.

Call quality Razr2 wins again, though not by much. The DLX earpiece sounds a bit muffled, but it is nowhere near as bad past Sanyos. Razr2 sounds better though and also has a better sounding speakerphone.

OS/Menus/Speed Katana wins this one. The Sanyo UI is better organized and more intuitive IMO. It is also more responsive and the DLX will open programs faster. The DX also includes a much better version of the Sprint Mobile email client than is available for the Motorola. Texting on both requires patience, as they are both slow to respond to keypresses. I actually think the Razr2 fared slightly better in the SMS department.

Bell & Whistles Razr2 wins, but this is close too. The 2 large QVGA displays (inner is 262K, outer is 65K colors) on the Razr2 are very nice. It is easy to take self-portraits and to watch Sprint TV without opening the phone. NIce.

The DLX has a sharper screen, because it is the same resolution as the Razr2, but also is smaller than the Razr's, Still, the smaller screen makes web browsing less fun than on the Razr2.

The camera on the Razr2 is 2.0MP vs. 1.3 on the DLX, but the picture quality on both is pretty darn good for a cell phone. Tie or very slight edge to the Moto here.

Music players are about the same, standard Sprint Music store crap. :( No MP3 ringers on the DLX though, which is puzzling.

Overall, on a scale of 1-10, I would give the Razr2 an 8 and the Katana DLX a 6.5 to a 7.

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Great review thanks.

I'm disappointed in the looks of both of the Katana models. I think the original Katana was better looking and had a better keypad than the Katana 2 and DLX. Sanyo needs to go back to the drawing board and come up with some improvements on future Katana's. IMO

3. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Wirelessly posted (Walkguru's: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

thanks for sharing that. I just got the katana for my daughter lisa.. we will see how she likes it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Nice review.

But I hope Sanyo doesn't drive the "Katana" franchise into the ground like Moto's done with the RAZR...Or for that matter Kyocera destroying Sanyo.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Well, I may need to revise my ratings.

When using the SprintTV or Sprint Radio app on the Razr2, calls go to voicemail (after a series of rings...they are nto sent directly to VM) the phone won't ring, no VM notifications work, and no SMS delivery takes place.

So basically, if I want to use the Sprint TV app, my phone might as well not be a phone.

I might activate the DLX again tonight to see if it behaves in the same way or not, unless someone can tell me how the DLX behaves when using the Sprint TV app....

6. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    That really sounds strange cause when running EVDO it should make calls a higher priority and pause your data. Sounds either like a phone problem or maybe lol it was on 1x.

7. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    It's not a problem with the phone, it is how Sprint has set the default handling of data on all their phones apparently, with the exception of PDA devices.

But I resolved the issue with the help of Yankees368, so all is good now

8. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    This should be known Matt even though it would not help me can you PM me. I have a friend or two this might help.

9. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    That is really sad to read, I thought they changed their stance on this a while ago, but as you mentioned it was with PDA devices only. I wonder if the new Qchat Moto can be edited to have calls come through. If it dose I will be trying to get my hands on one ASAP. :)

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It's werid how certain phones do different things depending on the firmware. For instance my Rumor is capable of sending texts with internet activity in progress (data arrows flashing). My previous LG phones could not do that.

11. Particular

Particular Banned

My Phone:
    At&t Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    At&t, sprint, T-mobile
    Both are good phone's, but the Katana looks a little bit smaller then the frist one, the main thing that i like about all of Sprint's phone's is that Sprint writes good software:) But now answering your question, i would go with the Razr2 mainly because the screen is just a little bit bigger.:D

12. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    When I had the Razr 2 for Sprint for two weeks, overall it was a nice phone. I had to return it due to the fact that it froze up 4 times in less than a week. Plus even with the extended battery, the battery life still isn't as good as it is with my Treo 755p (with extended battery).

13. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I bought the BX50 and battery door. It is an extra 180mah (920 vs. 740 in the stock BX40 battery) and adds only 1.5mm to the thickness of the phone, so it is hardly noticeable and doesn't look stupid like the extended battery. Best of all, the battery door is unbranded, I removed the Sprint logo when the flip is open and changed the startup and shut down animations so my phone has no carrier identification anywhere. Hooray!

I really have not had an issue with the battery life though...yeah I have to charge it every day, but I have done with any phone I have had, with the exception of a BlackBerry.

14. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Why the desire to remove the carrier identification? :D

15. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410

Just something to do I guess... I've removed the AT&T startup animation and on screen logos from almost all of my phones and replaced them with stock logos & animations from unbranded phones. I think its especially cool on my V3's as instead of the Cingular logo showing on the external display while in a call the phone displays the Motorola logo.

-Jay

16. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yeah I think this is kind of neat that you did this Jay. It can make your phone feel like one in a million.

17. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I don't want to be a source of free advertising. I will return all the carrier logos if Sprint wants to discount my monthly service. :D