Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

#MIN Problems - EXTREMELY high mins shown used. HELP

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by boxermansr, Oct 2, 2003.

1. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    Ok. I don't know whets going on, but here's the situation.

My wife and I both have service with Verizon. We have the same plan, and all
    that good stuff. We've made no changes to our calling plans, etc.
    Our cycles both end on the 22nd of each month, and re-start on the 23rd of
    the month.

Every day my wife checks her minute usage by dialing #MIN (#646). I check
    mine every few days.

We each have 800 minutes a month, unlimited night/weekend, 1000 m2m (all the
    standard stuff), and we've never had what I'm going to explain happened,
    happen before. Verizon was very very condescending to me when I called, and
    told me point blank that it's not their problem, but mine. I'm hoping
    someone can offer some insight, or someone who works for Verizon can at
    least look my account over and tell me what's going on.

Nonetheless, my wife checked her minutes today. It showed that she has used
    around 570 peak minutes (more or less, I don't remember the exact #, as I'm
    so worked up right now that it's not even funny). She called me (from a
    landline) and asked me when our cycles were supposed to end, since it seemed
    minutes were quite high. I told her the 22nd, and that I'd call Verizon when
    I got home.

I decided to check my usage. It sent me a text message telling me I have
    used 549 minutes. This is absurd. Each month, I use, if even that, 500
    minutes of my peak minutes. I'm not a real heavy cell phone user, but it's
    nice to have the 800 minutes, just in case.

I called CS, via 611 (free call, or so I thought). I explained the
    situation, and was treated very unprofessionally and very rudely. I was told
    that my usage looked right. I asked if they were able to look at my recent
    calls to determine if any calls that may not have been made by me had been
    (my phone NEVER leaves my side, so someone else using it is impossible).

Me and my wife have separate plans (not family, not shared minutes -- in
    case someone asks that).

So, I explain to him what's going on. He tells me pretty much "tough sh*t"
    (he may as well told me that exact phrase, when the demeaning way he was
    talking to me - like I was some deadbeat calling in trying to get minutes
    that I'd used taken off -- not everyone is a liar you know).

Anyhow, he puts me on hold while he talks to the "tech team". He comes back
    and tells me that he "just got an email stating, "if anyone calls in
    regarding high minute usage on #646 please respond to this email") he didn't
    say what department sent it out, or anything. At that point, he pretty much
    told me "Well I guess they know, so it will be fixed." Then he HUNG up on
    me. WOW.

I waited about an hour. (I have not used my phone for incoming or outgoing
    calls at ALL since I spoke to CS), in fear of having my minutes pushed
    beyond the 800 limit.
    I checked #MIN again, and my minutes were now 566. Remember, I said before
    my call to CS, my total was 549. 549+17 (the number of minutes I was on with
    CS, per my call timer), equals to 566, which means they took AIRTIME out for
    that 611 call.

So.. I wait another hour, and check my usage again, via #MIN, and it now
    shows me 584 minutes of use -- funny when I have not used the phone to make
    or take a single call in the last 3 1/2 hours (going on 4 now).

So, I call Verizon back, and get a supervisor. I thought the first guy was
    rude, this guy was even more condescending and unwilling to listen.
    I explained to him that mine and my wife's airtime via #646 (and via the
    automated min usage @ 611) were both way off. I explained to him that the
    last rep I spoke to told me that he had gotten an email about the issue and
    that it would be corrected -- yet the supervisor knew nothing of this at
    all, and said the rep probably just told me that to get me off the line
    (real nice, huh).

So, we went back and forth for 15 minutes (thank god I called from a
    landline, 15 more mins of being charged airtime would kill me). I explained
    to him that I am not stupid, that I know how many minutes I use per day
    (believe me, I honestly do, as I am sure many people do). I turn my phone
    off each evening at 8PM and turn it back on the next morning at 8AM when I
    leave for work, so that's 12 good hours that it's off. I use it at most 3 to
    4 times a day, for 2-3 minutes each call. Since I am usually at work, and I
    use the phone so work can contact me, there's no usage on it when I'm AT
    work, hence when I'm not at work (ie, on the way home, out to dinner, or
    anything else), I may use it those 3-4 times for a few minutes.

Trust me. I know how much I use my phone. They even told me "gee, it looks
    like you don't use that many minutes each month based on as far back as I
    can see" -- I can easily admit if I had in fact used the minutes.

Bottom line, their system is messed up. It's not perfect, but to be treated
    the way I was treated, and then lied to, and now having to worry about
    either not using my cell phone for another 20 days (when my cycle ends), or
    having to pay a monstrous phone bill (even though they told me if my bill is
    incorrect and I can prove I didn't make the calls (if any were made, and its
    just not their computer adding minutes onto peoples accounts), then they can
    forward it to the fraud department) -- but still hold me liable for the
    entire bill.

Bottom line. Has anyone else been noticing "alot" of minutes racking up on
    their account. Is this some type of glitch, or am I waking up in the middle
    of the night and making calls and not remembering it (I know I'm not, but I
    may as well add some humor)..

Anyhow, I really hope someone can help me out with this.. offer some
    advice.. etc.. thanks

2. jayc

jayc Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A670
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Nope... nobody has complained either. What does it say on verizonwireless.com?

3. therog

therog New Member

That same thing happened to me on CellularONE, now, AT&T Wireless. I had a plan for 225 minutes, and 1000 night and weekends, at a cost of 39.99$ per month. Apparently every month I was going well over my minutes, racking up over $120 a month. Turns out that AT&T THOUGHT I had 125 Minutes, with 1000 Night and weekends, EVEN though my contract showed that 225/1000 was what my name was signed to. They refused to credit the past months, refused to change the plan, and refused to keep my rate at $39.99(which had gone up $10, to now 49.99$) if I changed to the 225 plan. I additionally faxed in my contract to CellularONE, then to AT&T (who bought them in the process of all this crap) and even to the people I bought the service from at the mall. They were shocked as well as I..however, AT&T still wouldnt budge. I felt it was even to get back at them, continue my contract, not use my phone, and only make PARTIAL payments, to keep it under the disconnection limits. I eventually stiffed them with a $53.00 bill, now removed from my credit report. Point being, is that if they stiff me, and want something from me, they werent going to get it, till they did me right...when they didnt, I messed up my credit for 5 years, but it was worth it to prove that I wasnt going to be a sucker....
    Ill mention that I didnt have to pay a termination fee either, because back then, you went month to month after 12 months. It didnt revolve into another year contract. I think that self-renewing contracts are bogus anyway. After you do your time, they better either go month to month, or send you a new contract 2 months ahead of time, with a nice retention plan, and a top of the line phone, FREE, and keep your rate at the same, if they think they can get away with that crap. What customer would EVER agree to a new one year agreement, without AGREEING, and without incentive...ATT DIDNT OFFER ANYTHING

Enjoy

4. boxermansr

boxermansr Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SprintPCS
    On vzserve it was showing the same amount as 611, and #MIN, which was 584 minutes.
    I got a call from the "Corporate Customer Service Center" I assume in New Jersey, though they did not say, as I had filed a complaint online (since the supervisor I spoke to all but wanted to tell me that I was irresponsible and that I probably did use those minutes; come on, yes there are jerks out there who do that, but then there are people with -legitimate- concerns when an error appears).

Nonetheless, I was on with Corp. CS for an hour, and they pretty much told me they don't know whats going on. They talked to tech support and determined my "raw usage" data I guess, or whatever.

Nonetheless, 20 minutes BEFORE CS called me, my usage showed again as normal from #MIN, 611, and vzserve, as 39 minutes of peak, where it was showing 584 of peak before. My point being -- something was wrong, all I wanted to do initially, was let them know, and see if they knew about it, but it's like I was taking a leak in their wheaties or something.. you get where I'm coming from? [​IMG]

5. G3XP

G3XP Junior Member

Here is the rundown...if you dial 611, activate call forwarding, call any verizon WS toll free number it will be added to the calculation estimate. However at the end of the cylce those minutes will be deducted. Thus you will not be charge/used airtime. The con here is it will throw off the #646 estimate if you made calls to 611 or forward your calls to another mobile number. To play it safe, always call verizon from a landline phone or just remember the amount of time you spent and deduct the estimate from there.

Another way to see the problem check to see your mobile 2 mobile are being deducted seperately. There should be peak mins, peak m2m, off peak, off peak m2m, and wkends...by the way what market are you in?

6. LowTech

LowTech Junior Member

this happens to me once in a while too...check ur previous statement...i bet it will show 584 mins of peak usage. a lot of times it will take a while to update to the new billing cycle..and usage you'll actually see is your previous months usage.

7. AK47romanian

AK47romanian New Member

Enigami:

As someone who deals with your kind of problems everyday, I have learned that there are two sides to every story. Your version, and the company's version. So, in the interest of harmony I would suggest this to you. Go to your local VZW COMPANY***I REPEAT**COMPANY***owned store. Ask to speak to the customer care or customer service person and have them print for you the last few bills. When you go to the store, make sure you have a happy or neutral face, as there is nothing more aggravating to anyone who works behind a counter than to have an angry customer raising all sorts of cane before they even begin to state their problem. You want the CS person to be your "advocate" not your enemy.

Because you are at the store, you and the company have more resources available. Information can be exchanged easier, the CS/CC person can call a manager or ask other store personell for help right then and there. They can also call CC centre and get through easier because they are employees and know the ropes. That said, I have always taken a neutral attitude when it comes to customer's billing issues, because I have seen VZW make its share of mistakes just as I have seen many customers claims be equally wrong.

We all have gotten used to having our problems handled over the phone, and I am as guilty of that as you and the rest of the world, but there are times, such as in your case, when you must deal with something in person. I had a similar experience to yours with my school a few months ago, and I had to waste 4-5 hours on my day off to deal with it, but in the end I was glad I did, as otherwise I would have been out over $500 in a tuition payment dispute.

So my bottom line advice is this: Gather your facts, find out your local VZW store, call them and ask to speak to the CS/CC person and advice them that you are coming to see them in person (that will help setup a friendly tone to the meeting). Once there, let the CC person look over your bill, ask questions, and so forth. If in the end things are not going quite according to plan, ask to speak to the manager or assistant manager. If your case has merit, you should have it resolved or partially resolved before you leave. One last thing though. Be aware that billing issues can sometimes take a few billing cycles to be cleared due to the way our billing system works.

Good luck with your issue

8. jdgill

jdgill New Member

VE JUST OPENED MY VERIZON BILL AND HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE YOU HAD. UNREAL PEAK MIN. AND VERY RUDE CUSTOMER SERVICE. I WAS LOOKING FOR A NEW SERVER WHEN I READ YOUR COMPLAINT. THERE MUST HAVE BEEN A PROBLEM WITH BILLING IN TEXAS.....BUT I'M THINKING IT'LL BE CHEAPER TO PAY THE DISCONNECT FEE AND GO WITH A MORE RELIABLE COMPANY THAN HAVE HIGH DOLLAR CHARGES TO FIGHT OVER EACH MO. TROUBLE IS THERE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ANY HONEST , CARDS ON THE TABLE , WIRELESS SERVERS OUT HERE.

9. AK47romanian

AK47romanian New Member

Jd:

Read my entry prior to yours, and follow the same advice. If VZW is having a problem with billing in the Texas market, the company will make it right for you and all the other customers. I feel very confortable telling you this since VZW stands behind its customers and if the customer's claims are valid, they will be corrected. Again, you need to have your bill looked at by a service rep and both you AND the rep can go over it and see where the problem lies.