Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Microwave radiation GSM vs CDMA

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by DrRoger, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    I think in non Gibberish that means that thick walls weaken Radio Signal. I could be wrong that may be Mambo Jumbo:rolleyes:
    Anyway: Sounds good.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    I tested my microwave oven for leakage. No problem with the official microwave oven tester. However, with a near field (RF) tester the radiation registers strong and from the practical aspect it can knock my WiFi off the air, (with the computer near it) interfere with a cordless and make a potato really mushy. That is a lot of radio power in that box and could do some mean stuff if too much gets out.

My local VZW cell 2600 feet away,puts out up to 22 watts (per radio). That is not going to cause much damage. Or cook a potato.

I don't know the output of a typical (local) GSM site. What is it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Jerro, inverse square law means that as you get away from an energy source (real-world test example - play with a light bulb) the energy decreases by the square of the distance.

And yes, the attenuation of the building materials is referring to your walls blocking the signal.

4. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    That is very clear, many of us understand the concept. No disrespect: However I was trying to make the point that many people here, including you are apparently adept at physics and engineering but many are not nor are all familiar with niche technical terms. And if we are going to use such terms then we should perhaps not aim over the heads of those who are not fluent in that particular field. A concept is easily understood by many more when it is in plain English. Thats all, from my prospective, the horse is dead.

5. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    The GSM I use is 46 db at the PA but thru the cables and combiners output power is around
    22-25 watts going to the ant. Similar power output to CDMA but it all depends on the manufacturer such as Nortel, Motorola, Nokia ETC. I know Alltel in my area uses Nortel which averages 30 Watts before the combiner.

GSM tends to perform better propogation wise because the Base station stays a constant ERP and only the handset cuts power, altho CDMA doesnt rely totally only power because of the Soft and softer handoff.

I love RF talk but some is redundant mumbo jumbo.

6. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Yes,but it is nice (not condecending or pretentious) mumbo jumbo. So please keep talking. Seriously, thanks for the GSM output info. It is interesting that it is similar to that of CDMA.

7. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    That tower right behind my house is 100% GSM, but I have Alltel (CDMA),
    so that tower is of no use to me other than RF potential,
    and I might see someone climb it every once in awhile.
    Sprint needs to put some panels on there ;)
    The Alltel tower serving my house is about 3 miles away at Interstate 85.

8. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    All I see is that the original article in that blog is written by CDMA fanboys. If they believe that pulsing radiation is more damaging than constant radiation they also believe that when a phone call is breaking up and signal is fading they can boost the signal and make the call clearer by talking louder or screaming. LOL! Just using their naive imagination. RF is RF no matter what kind.

9. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    It may not apply here because of the low power. But pulsing RF,and other types of radiation are used in medical therapies. We can at least assume that it has a different effect than constant power whether that is better or worse. Who knows? Also the studies coming from Europe are often old and are mostly based on GSM anyway. Right?

10. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Wow, what a messed up thread. I go away for a few days and all hell breaks loose :p

Yea, that about sums up the original article.

It's good use some "common sense". Cellular phones weren't made to replace land-lines, but to give people mobility. If a landline is near, I'll also reach for that first. And it is a good idea to limit the daily use of your cell phone. By how much? That's a good question. I say ~30 minutes a day, but that's just me. I suppose 1-2 hours is OK too. But 5+ hours a day I'd guess isn't too good.

Carrying the phone turned off doesn't make much sense. The signaling is not constant and very low power. And what sense would it make to have a mobile phone, but turned off? :confused: That makes about as much sense as watching your TV while it's turned off :p ...and I guess that's safer too :D

"Free space loss" is a better term when talking RF, but OK, I guess you can "inverse square loss" if it makes you feel better ;) Anyway, I agree with about 90% of your posts on this topic. :thumb:

Yea, I agree. People don't realize how much RF is really around them. Only when they start reading and thinking about it or can see an antenna is when they start to freak out. :loony:

11. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Speaking of Land Line phones when people compare their Cell Service to land lines.

I have had some land lines that were not impressive and that due to 50 year old or older copper wires buring in the ground that just get spliced back together instead of replaced..

12. jrip

jrip Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo MM-7400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint,Boost
    just so you know florescent lights emit more radiation than any cell phone. i hope you dont have any of those in the office/hospital you intern at, you might get slowly "cooked" by the lights and blame your cellphone.

13. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Being that GSM pulses offsets the fact that it is stronger than the constant CDMA signal. So because GSM pulsates, that means you are exposed to it less time. But because CDMA uses less power, that means you are exposed with less intensity. Either way, it comes out to the same thing in the end.

A one-hour exposure to a high power signal causes the same effect as a two-hour exposure to a half-power signal.

14. Blue4Life

Blue4Life Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto RAZR 5G,G Stylus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9800/298; U; en))

I imagine if you're really that concerned about the affects of radiation, you could always purchase something like the Silvertex RF Suit. :)

15. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Just think of Police and Fire Departments that still use the old School 2 way radios.

I worked at a Motorola 2 way dealer and worked on tons of 100 watt vehicle radios transmitting on Low and High Band VHF, UHF and the newer Trunked 800 systems.

What about people that are surrounded by Computers, Servers etc or appliance dealers that have hundreds of TV hanging on the walls?

16. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Man, why didn't I think of that? :banghead:

Instead of telling people "Don't worry about it" I should be capitalizing on their fears. I'm on my way down to Wal-Mart now to buy some 3-for-$5 T-shirts and a can of silver spraypaint. Check my website in a few days, I'll have some $100 "RF protection shirts" up for sale :browani:

17. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    If you want it to actually offer some (extremely slight) protection, by way of deflection;get aluminum paint. It would go well with my tin foil RF brain protector hat.

18. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    We had an old trick we use to play on new soldiers in the Army. We would tell the new guys to go find some frequency grease, they would spend hours running around looking for it.

I had one guy measuring the distance on the bars of a grid dish.

Anyways I could take some vasoline and put a label on it the says some mumbo jumbo about protecting from radio waves.

19. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    What's vasoline? a mixture of car fuel and petroleum jelly?

20. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

Not true. The effect of RF energy is a heating effect. However, energy dissipates as well. Think if it this way:

Will 30 seconds in a 1000watt microwave oven cause more damage than 4hours, 10 minutes of exposure to a 2watt radio? OF COURSE! Why? because the body can't cool itself off as fast as the microwave heats it up. It is NOT the same effect when you're measuring hours of exposure.

However, GSM runs a VERY short time slot - 217Hz cycle rate. This is so fast that there is not enough heat generated on the pulses to do any harm and there is time for cool-down right away before the next pulse. Therefore, in a GSM network it *IS* the same but that's due to a 217Hz cycle rate (or any fast cycle rate).

1 hour of twice the power vs 2 hours of a given power is much worse because there is dramatically more heating that can happen. You're right that the energy introduced into the system is the same but you forget that energy dissipates from the system as well. Again, 30 seconds in a microwave vs 4 hours and 10 minutes of a 2 watt GMRS radio? The energy introduced into your body is the same. The difference is how much energy is able to dissipate FROM your body over the exposure period.

21. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    probably will cause cancer if exposed to skin.

22. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Not if you heat it first in a microwave oven for 4 hours.

...I'll explain later :whisper:

23. our3rotts

our3rotts An Iowa Gurl...

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    What an interesting conversation.

Cancers among those people who live near power lines have not been proven to be correlate 100% with the EM from the power lines.

Many of the studies linking brain cancer & cell phone use do not take in all of the confounding factors of the subjects. The media seems to give precedence to poorly conducted research, confusing the general public who do not have a solid scientific education.

As far as ionizing radiation is concerned, it is not confirmed that low doses of IR are harmful. And in actuality, it has been determined that low doses of radiation may actually have a helpful effect. Hormesis - I didn't really believe it until my former physics professor pointed me in the direction of a residential apartment complex in Tokyo where Cobalt-60 was accidentally mixed in with the construction materials. People lived in the building for years - had kids there, etc. They had a significantly lower incidence of cancer than the rest of the population.