Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Microsoft Mobile Mistakes

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices for All Other Operating Systems' started by palandri, Oct 9, 2015.

1. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    JFB, QLR, M in LA and 2 others like this.
  2. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I think MS is being cautious with WP10. The preview is still very beta like. With only about a month before release these phones will feel like 10 on desktop for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlyee and palandri like this.
  3. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I think that's another mistake they made. They have a new device event and people can't go online or to a store and buy it. A month from now, something else will spark peoples interest.

QLR likes this.
  4. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    palandri, I have been meaning to ask your reason for leaving WM and then WP.

Was there a single compelling reason or a combination of factors? If multiple factors, what were they?

What will make you go back?

Enquiring minds want to know. :D

Sent from my iPhone 6s

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    Multiple reasons. I liked the WP OS. It ran smooth. I only had one WP a HTC Trophy from Germany.

I still had a Nokia N8 which was a great phone. I got my wife a Nokia 808 which was a great phone. So I was still liking Nokia.

A few of the WP that came out that I was interested in were exclusive to AT&T and people were having trouble getting them unlocked even when they paid full price. Getting an unlocked one from Europe was expensive.

I was tempted to get the European version of the Verizon Icon in France, but I didn't.

Then the Nexus 4 came out and I got one, and the then Nexus 5.

charlyee likes this.
  6. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks palandri, so it is mainly the lack of unlocked devices. Ironically I had an unlocked Lumia 900 and then a 820. The 900 was at full price and a call to AT&T asking for the unlock code, was the first thing I did with it.

The 820 was under contract but I was able to get an unlocked code after 8 (?) months.

I like the WP OS as well and in my case it was the lack of certain critical medical apps.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    palandri likes this.
  7. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I wasn't interested in either the 820 or 900 at that point in time, since my Nokia N8 was still doing well. The Lumia 1020 was the next one I was interested in due to the camera.

8. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    The 1020 does have a nice camera. My mom has one, after having the 920. She is now looking at getting an iPhone for her next phone. For her it's certain apps that aren't available on WP that is making her want to leave WP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QLR and palandri like this.
  9. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Ars Technica hit the nail on the head regarding phone availability.

For me, WP is merely a cheap backup phone. There is a dearth of apps available. Yes, you have the common apps like FB, Twitter, and Instagram. But if you use anything Google related or financial related, you are SOL. Some of it isn't Microsoft's fault, but when the user base is leaving, it doesn't give developers a reason to create and support apps on that platform.

palandri and M in LA like this.
  10. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I couldn't agree more. I just purchased the Windows Lumia 735 from Verizon as a secondary phone and I've noticed some seriously missing apps (versus iOS and Android). I got the phone mainly to try out Windows and see how Win 10 unifies the phone with my PC. Plus the phone is really inexpensive, so it's an easy option for me. This phone will never be my primary. The iPhone has this from now on.

I don't understand Microsoft's logic with how they've handled their high-end phones, along with all others in between. Many Windows phone apps pale in comparison to their iOS and Android counterparts. If it weren't for my desire to try out a Windows phone, I otherwise wouldn't have bothered with them at all. I'm sure there are many other phone buyers who've done just that. This won't help them gain traction at all.

palandri and QLR like this.
  11. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I bought a 735 also. However, I bought mine because my Note 4 needed to be fixed and I had to ship it off. I needed a cheap backup and I didn't want to get a $120 phone... I felt a $192 phone would be a tad better

I have to say, I am pleased with the front facing camera. Most everything else is take it or leave it. Mostly leave it since I need apps that I had no idea I'd be hooked on.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

palandri and M in LA like this.
  12. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Interesting, my 735 doesn't see the 5GHZ channel on my wifi

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

palandri likes this.
  13. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I've seen post about this 5GHz issue on a variety of forums. Sometimes changing Authentication Method on your router from WPA2 to WPA/WPA2 works