Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

MetroPCS unveils unlimited international calling for five dollars

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by hank424, Jun 24, 2009.

1. hank424

hank424 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung R720 Admire
    Wireless Provider(s):
    MetroPCS,att mobility
    MetroPCS Inc. (PCS) on Wednesday said its customers will be able to make unlimited international calls for $5 a month, the latest push by the no-contract, flat-rate cellphone-service provider to put price pressure on its larger rivals.
    The company has been benefiting as consumers trade down amid the global recession. Its customer count has grown by record amounts the past three quarters, helping drive the company's U.S. expansion.
    For the $5 a month, MetroPCS said customers will be able to make unlimited international calls to more than 100 countries, including more than 1,000 destinations, without any additional charges. Europe, Africa, and other countries included check here MetroPCS | Rate Finder

As of March 31, MetroPCS had 6 million users. Its stock closed Tuesday at $14.33 and was inactive premarket.

Article - WSJ.com

1 person likes this.
  2. hank424

hank424 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung R720 Admire
    Wireless Provider(s):
    MetroPCS,att mobility
    To be eligible for the $5 unlimited international calling plan, users must already be signed up to an unlimited national calling plan that costs $40, $45, or $50 a month. Making international phone calls from a cell phone has typically been rather expensive with major carriers such as AT&T and Verizon Wireless.

For example, AT&T offers its WorldConnect service for $3.99 extra a month, which gives subscribers lower rates on international calls. This means that a call to France still costs 22 cents a minute even with the $3.99 a month WorldConnect plan. By contrast a call to France using MetroPCS's new $5 unlimited international plan is free.

3. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Or, you could use One Suite Cheap Prepaid International Calling Cards and Discount Long Distance Phone Service - OneSuite and pay 2.9¢/minute. No monthly charges either.

4. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    I don't know why ANYONE would pay the exorbitant rates these guys charge. It's got to be for chumps, seriously! I use 3utelecom.com. You can set it up to where you call a domestic number and you don't even need to enter a pin - just enter your international number after that and you are off and running. The rates are exceptional. I have used onsuite as well - both are very good. The advantage with 3utelecom.com is that it is a legitimate long distance company, so you can set it up as the long distance co. for your landline as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Scrumhalf

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    3utelecom.com rates (no monthly minimum or fees), all calls are billed by the second, not by the minute.

• ustralia: 3.8 ¢
    • Canada: 3.8 ¢
    • China: 3.8 ¢
    • France: 3.8 ¢
    • Germany: 3.8 ¢
    • India: 3.8 ¢
    • Japan - Tokyo: 3.8 ¢
    • Mexico: 6.9 ¢
    • Peru - Lima: 3.8 ¢
    • United Kingdom: 3.8 ¢

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    OneSuite: "ustralia" 2.9¢
    Canada 1.9¢
    China 2.2¢
    France 2.9¢
    Germany 3¢

OneSuite is also PINless as well as 30 two digit quick dials.

7. Scrumhalf

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    I haven't had good luck with onesuite which is why I gave up using it. I kept getting dropped calls, garbled quality, etc. This is from 2-3 years ago. Have you had good luck with it? I wouldn't mind trying them again.

8. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It's been pretty good though a call I made to Israel didn't work too well the other day. Lots of static, but that's not too common. Generally it works pretty well at least for me.

9. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    Here is the text of the Metro PCS press release.

BTW, they were added to the S&P 500 this week causing a jump in their stock price.