Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Metro tunnels data coverage in Wash DC area? Etc...

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Sword7, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Sword7

Sword7 New Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile MDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hello folks,

I live in Washington DC metro area. I have some questions for you. Will it allow data-roaming in Metro tunnels (subway)? If so, how fast? EV-DO? 1X-RTT?

Also, for outside of Sprint PCS network, will it allow data roaming? If so, how fast? How much does 'extended' data coverage expand so far?

That's why I have ask for you some questions before I am considering to buy Blackberry 8703e. Thanks!

Tim

2. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I was just in DC and let me tell ya, the DC network sucks. i dont know why, but my phone was going from full bars to no bars, even causing occasional dropped calls, in the middle of DC! Also, it is impossible to make a phone call at arlington cemetary. In the metro, verizon is all that works so thank god for roaming!

Just thought id rant about that, i dont really know if it allows for data roaming in the metro.

3. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    To answer your questions,

* Verizon is currently the only provider in the WMATA system (that will change soon). While underground, your Sprint PCS phone will roam off of the Verizon Wireless 1xRTT system. There is usually full coverage in the stations -- but good luck keeping a connection in some parts of the system (ex. under the potomac river on the orange line between FB and Rosslyn)

* I'm all over the state of Virginia and every time my Sprint PCS phone roams I'm able to have 1xRTT data capabilities. (I've roamed off VZW, USCC, and Alltel) My internet, texting, and picture messaging worked flawlessly while roaming.

* Coverage around the metro area is excellent for all of the carriers. Everyone has their dead spots here and there, but it sounds like ace was having issues. I've never been downtown and not had full service.

4. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I dont know. I was having all sorts of wierd issues. The phone did work fine most of the time, it wasnt THAT bad, but i thought i was having too many issues considering i was in washington DC. The real problem was at Arlington, where it was really almost impossible to have a stable phone call. But from the looks of the coverage maps it seems like theyre adding new towers there. Also, one night i was trying to make a phone call and i kept getting a busy signal for a good half hour. Overloaded network? Also, the phone made an odd screetching noise at me on more than one occasion when i was trying to make a phone call. In some areas, i could be looking at my phone and bar count would go from 7 to 0 then back up to seven. It was just very odd.

5. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Just went to Dc on Sunday. Roamed fine on VZW with 1x data roaming. Coverage was lost a few times, so good luck keeping a conversation longer thanmaybe 5 minutes under there. Beats having none though. I agree with Ace, Sprint coverage was disappointing in DC. My phone had a hard time keeping signal in many places (VZ honestly didn't seem much better). My friend's T-Mobile phone did a lot better. EVDO was SLOW in DC as well. It felt like GPRS or slower most of the time, then fast as heck back in Delaware.