Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Merger

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by Yugopro, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Yugopro

Yugopro Senior Member

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    I currently have an even more plus plan, basically no contract.

What should I do to get the best price locked in?

I have T-Mo for three reasons, best customer service, best prices, and European coverage.
    I had AT&T but they were expensive and had customer service marginally better than Sprint.

Do you think AT&T will have to honor contracts?

2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Anything in terms of switching the T-Mobile brand over to AT&T won't happen for at least a year, if ever. If you are under contract, your rate will stay the same until the contract expires. They will have to honor whatever contract you are under during the switch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    since EM+ plans are all no contract plans by default, if you want to lock in you probably need to go to Even More plans, but they cost more (but still probably less than AT&T). Try to take advantage of a great phone deal (like the free smartphones last month) since in order to take advantage of those deals you are forced to agree to a contract.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tmobileman

tmobileman Iphone Hater

My Phone:
    G1v1.5, Dash, Touch Pro 2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    one way to lock in the EM+ plan is to put it under contract, retention is currently able to offer you a credit for the base price of your EM+ plan with a two year contract. Helps the Retention rep...like me...earn a little extra cash with bonuses and gets your rate locked in for the merger win/win

2 people like this.
  5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Actually, it is not until your contract expires. You can continue with the same exact plan and pricing you started even after the contract ends. What they normally do is stop offering those plans and you get grandfathered in to your current plan. It's only when you decide to get a phone upgrade that they try to get you out of your grandfathered plan and put you on one of their new plans. If you decide to do a phone upgrade (whether before or after the contract ends), they'll get you there and will try to force you out of your plan, because when you upgrade you are agreeing to a new contract. But they can't force you out of your plan pricing just because your contract period expires.

6. Blue4Life

Blue4Life Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto G Stylus Pixel 3a XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.1.22296/24.743; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

That's a good thing to know. I've been looking at the EM+ plans since AT&T Mobility/Cingular will no longer grandfather my old blue plan after May 15. The only potential risk I see is if my market were to be divested to a non- GSM carrier (assuming the merger goes through). Is T-Mobile still planning on lowering their pricing on their unlimited everything plans or was that just a rumor?

#6 Blue4Life, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  7. Yugopro

Yugopro Senior Member

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    My concern with this merger is the monopoly AT&T will have with GSM service in the US.
    This is a monopoly as there does not seem to be an alternative GSM provider.
    Is there a competitive GSM service in the US?

8. Blue4Life

Blue4Life Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto G Stylus Pixel 3a XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.1.22296/24.743; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

There are some regional GSM carriers. Unfortunately, none of them provides service in my area. Having only one GSM provider kind of defeats the purpose of me purchasing unlocked phones.

Click here to find service providers in your area.

#8 Blue4Life, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  9. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    After T-Mobile, the smaller GSM service providers seem to offer half-state or several county coverage. No one as big as a US Cellular or a MetroPCS.

The biggest one that I recall getting some talk of here on WA over the years, has been Einstein PCS in Wisconsin. There is no GSM service providers here, after the big Two, in Memphis. There are four CDMA providers--VZW, Sprint, Cellular South, and Cricket.

COtech

10. shalbea550

shalbea550 New Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4S 32GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.975 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Current T-Mobile subscribers should be honored (and if by honored you mean no increase in access rates and charges to current people under contracts and subscribers). When Verizon and Alltel merged here in nebraska, current alltel customers still had contracts with alltel until their two years were over, then they were re-directed to verizon wireless and were to start service with verizon wireless because alltel would no longer be offering service in our area.... When T-Mobile and AT&T are done merging, T-Mobile will redirect you to AT&T to start new service with them most likely..... Does this make sense?

11. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    All a big "IF"... There is no guarantee this merger will happen. If it does, expect a LOT of divestitures. It is far too soon to tell what will happen.