Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

maybe switching to sprint?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by bpage, Jul 2, 2006.

1. bpage

bpage New Member

Hello, I currently have verizon wireless and I live in Meadville, PA.. Which is about 30miles south of Erie, PA.. I am going to be going to college in Erie, PA starting this fall.. I've had verizon for almost 2 years and the service is actually very well, the only reason im thinking of leaving is because sprint seems to have more phones to choose from, and better options and plans.. I am a little skeptical about their coverage and such, when I view their coverage map most of it says its on roam? why is this if so many people have it? and does anyone around this area have sprint who can tell me how good the service is around here? thanks

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint covers all of the major populated areas of the US. You will not be roaming very often. The areas on the maps that show roaming are out in the boondocks where very little population exists.

3. bpage

bpage New Member

maybe i should stay on to verizon for now then.. my hometown isn't a heavilly populated area, and in summer i will most liekly be back here when school is out.. sprint has some sweet phones though, i wish they could cover out here.. is it a possiblity to switch the mode on a sprint phone so it only searches for sprint service so i will never be roaming? and is there a site i can look at that tells me the advantages and disadvatnages between sprint and verizon? that would be sweet.. thanks

4. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    A sprint phone can be set to stay on sprint only or it can also be set to allow roaming or even force roaming. On today's plans there is usually no extra charge for roaming so you don't have to worry about incurring extra charges.

5. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The problem with Sprint's roaming though is that 50% roaming rule clause. Verizon has no such clause. If you are happy with Verizon it's best you stick with them. By the way Verizon is getting better phones. They've had several new models introduced lately

6. bpage

bpage New Member

should i wait for some new phones to be released? i was really considering getting the VX8300.. it looks really nice and all the reviews seem to be pretty good which is usually rare.. it was between that and the razzr, but the razr seems to have many problems.. what are some good verizon phones?

7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint has never enforced this rule and it really doesn't exist. Besides I can't imagine anyone who lives in a Sprint coverage area using more than 50% of minutes off network.

8. bpage

bpage New Member

i wish there was a way i could try sprint for maybe a month or so and then decide.. that would make this a whole lot easier..

9. djcmaz

djcmaz Junior Member

My Phone:
    BLACKJACK / TILT
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SPRINT - (WORK PHONE)/ CINGULAR

uNFORTUNATELY SPRINT DOES... I have dealt with many angry truckdrivers because they were charged additional roaming charges past the 50% rule. What makes it the worst is that the lame sales rep told them roaming is free and did not tell them the 50% rule.

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hmm. With all the sprint users around the various forums I've never heard of a single case where that has happened. Even for truck drivers it would be tough to do as Sprint covers most of the major US highways.

Never count on any sales rep telling each and every detail when signing up for service. It is up to the customer to read all the print of the terms and agreement and make sure they know what they are getting.

11. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    My mom and grandmother have the LG VX8300 and it's a really nice phone. I've played around with my grandmothers and am impressed with it. From what I've been hearing about the phone it seems to be selling well and customers that own the 8300 really seem to like it. I have no problems recommeding the LG VX8300 to someone.

12. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I've read several reports of Sprint actually enforcing the rule. I've never read of them canceling anybody for it but I have read of Sprint charging fees for over excessive off network usage. Cryogenic from Knoxville once got hit with roaming charges for using his Sprint phone off network so much, although I believe he was able to get the charges reversed.

13. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

I can't recall anyone saying they've been hit with additional roaming charges due to the 50% rule either. There are many threads about roaming on the other forums as I'm sure everyone has seen.

14. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I was told by some Sprint employees I know that as of about 4-5 months ago that they no longer enforce the rule at all. So it could be a new thing.

15. bpage

bpage New Member

you said that most plans allow you to call while you are still on sprint? the only thing i can find is that you can get 100 roaming minutes for $10 a month, but u can't get unlimited or anytrhing like that.. am i missing something?

16. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    If the only option you see for your area is $10 a month for 100 roaming minutes you are most likely in an affliate market. In which case I definately would recommend against Sprint. Affliate markets typically have weaker coverage than Sprint corporate markets and less options.

17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sounds like an affiliate market offer. Maybe IPCS or Shentel?

Sprint corporate markets all have the regular roaming included plans.

18. bpage

bpage New Member

hmm.. i did not know that.. if it was the affiliate market would it say somewhere? or would everything still say sprint on it?

19. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Where are you located ?

20. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Affiliate markets operate as Sprint so you wouldn't know the difference. If you give us your location we can tell you.

21. bpage

bpage New Member

I live in Meadville, pennsylvania.. 16335..
    I also tried to put in Erie, PA aswell because it is a larger city just 30 minutes from here but it still gives me the same plan options.

22. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yep I'm 99% sure that's Shentel's area. You can't qualify for regular Sprint plans in that area.

23. bpage

bpage New Member

that sucks.. is tehre any chance it'll come here eventually?

24. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes. In fact Sprint will be buying out Shentel before the end of this year.

25. bpage

bpage New Member

really?.. i dunno what to do now.. i was just ganna stay with verizon cuz i havn't really had any trouble wiht them and htye seem to have good coverage here, but sprint has some really nice features and phones

26. sheureka

sheureka Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    Don't know about those truck drivers, but Sprint has never charged for going over the 50% if the "America" plan was in place (either F&F or F&C). The only penalty for going over is potentially either losing the roaming option or losing Sprint service. But neither one of those has ever happened either. It's just a CYA. - sheureka

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  27. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I agree and I don't necessarily believe everything I read on forums because a lot of it is second or third hand information. Anyone who hates a company can make up things and start false rumors just beause they are angry over something.

28. bpage

bpage New Member

im not really worried about getting kicked off, but if i can only get 100 roaming minutes then that probably isnt a good sign for excellent coverage raound here... too bad though they have really nice features and stuff

29. bpage

bpage New Member

it does look like for $5 a month i can get no roaming charges... my bill would be about $60, with unlim txt, and no roaming charges on sprint with 400 minutes, it would be about $50 on verizon for 450 minutes and unlim in-txt messages+500 aditional txt messages.. can anyone explain the benefits of either carrier and what you guys think about my area would be best for me?

30. lennyj17

lennyj17 Junior Member

How far north are you from Pittsburgh. You could get a 412/724 area code then you know your corporate. With everyone using Cells i would think LD would be a big deal...Tell us what plan you are looking at getting.