Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

WEST U.S. -- Max capacity of MetroPCS in Van Nuys

Discussion in 'PRE-PAID Cell Phone Companies and Plans' started by runchadrunc, Jul 31, 2008.

1. runchadrunc

runchadrunc New Member

I am helping set up a temporary office for a political campaign which will only be in operation for 3 months. One of the things we do is make phone calls to voters. The economics and convenience of installing land lines vs cell phones has swung in favor of cell phones. We have gotten a very good quote from MetroPCS but I'm concerned that there might not be enough capacity to support all the calls simultaneously. We got a quote for 100 phones, though we wouldn't be using all of them at the exact same time, using 3/4 of them at the same time is possible.

What I'm wondering is this:
    Will we be able to run 75-100 MetroPCS phones from the same location
    If we do overload the system what happens, does everything get jammed so none of the phones work?
    Would we be better off splitting up the order to 2 or 3 different wireless companies?

The specific location is in Van Nuys, CA, near the intersection of Vanowen and Van Nuys Blvd. There are at least 2 buildings that I know of a block away (AT&T CO and the former Valley Federal tower) with cell antennas on them.

Thanks.

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I would think that running 75-100 phones at the same time shouldn't be a problem. I doubt Metro PCS has already signed up too many subscribers in that area after only being here for less than a year. But I couldn't say for sure. I know Metro is still expanding and do have some dead spots here and there. Are you sure that some of the antennas a block away are Metro? I know Sprint and Nextel both have antennas at Van Nuys & Vose St. but I think it is a monopole tower.

3. runchadrunc

runchadrunc New Member

The AT&T and Valley Federal buildings are at Van Nuys and Hartland, which is very close to Vose. I have no idea who they belong to, I was just pointing out that *someone's* antennas are there :)

We are going to get one Metro PCS phone to test out in the area before we make a big commitment.

4. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Oh ok those are not Sprint or Nextel so maybe they are Metro PCS. I don't think they are T-Mobile either. By process of elimination there's now a better chance that they are.

Sounds like a good plan to get a Metro phone and test it out.

5. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 27 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    The only thing I would suggest you grill MetroPCS about is their coverage for the ENTIRE metro L.A. area versus coverage of the other carriers. Metro's L.A. map has some noticeable holes in areas they should have service (more in the fringe areas, but still, those areas are part of the greater L.A. political circle).

I'm sure you want maximum coverage covering the most population. You might want to make sure Metro can adequately do this for you before you plunk a good sum of money for service.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I've never been a Metro PCS store but I hear from others who have looked into getting their service that their phones are expensive. Since they don't lock you into a contract they can't subsidize the phone prices like other carrier's do.

7. runchadrunc

runchadrunc New Member

Our office will be in a single location and that's where people will be using the phones, so as long as there is coverage there we aren't worried about coverage elsewhere.

8. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 27 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    OK, I see what you mean. I was thinking if you had people traveling all around the L.A. area then what I posted would be a good caution, but since you will just be in the Van Nuys area, if Metro works for you (price, service, and the like), go for it! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    The nearest Metro site that I'm aware of near you is at Van Nuys and Friar, near the government center. I don't recall off the top of my head where the next one north is. Seventy-five users at the same exact time is a decent sized load for a carrier and they have the ability to handle it, but in that area you do have to factor in a large amount of regular traffic besides yourself, especially during the evening hours. So depending on the exact configuration of their network, they may block some calls, or process them all flawlessly.

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    That place has a bunch of antennas doesn't it? I believe Nextel and Sprint are also there.

11. shango

shango Junior Member

My Phone:
    M800, v266, w315
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    That many cdma phone all the the same room all on the same channel/carrier tend to interfere with each other. Never mind the capacity problem. I would think you may run into capacity problems as well. Metro is fairly new to LA and I dont think they have the tower density that the others have. With Sprint you have access to 4 towers just about everywhere in LA in any one place. Good Luck!!!

12. markuhde

markuhde Junior Member

I agree I wouldn't try running 75 phones from any carrier in the same place at the same time...

If it doesn't cost a lot more it just seems more reliable to get a couple of carriers...