Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Maintaining old phones

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Scrumhalf, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Presumably like most others frequenting this site, I now have several "backup" phones in my drawer. These include V600, V557 and RAZR V3 models among others.

My question is how all of you store your phones. Do you take the batteries out? Do you periodically charge the batteries to keep them in working order, or do you store the batteries in the fridge as I have read Li-ion batteries ought to be stored?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I keep mine in the cases/covers I bought for them originally and leave them in my desk. I don't bother to remove the battery. I'll just charge the phone up if and when I need it.

I have made sure to keep a back-up Verizon phone (Nokia 6256i, which was one of the best phones I've ever owned, BTW), just in case I need it. It came in handy 3 years ago when a Moto Q I owned went on the fritz.

The irony is I have about 5 unlocked GSM phones from the days I had T-Mobile and AT&T. Since I have neither carrier at the moment, those phones are in a holding pattern, but I've been thinking about adding T-Mobile again, as I miss them...In time maybe. :)

I always keep my phones in great condition, which is why they all look brand new.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I have 2 Verizon backup phones, my BlackBerry Pearl and a 4 year old LG VX3300. I also learned to keep a back up when a phone goes on the fritz ( I went thru 3 fru MotoQ's, a few a930's and 2 Pearls) and becomes unusable. Usually I will charge them as needed...

I have an Alltel prepaid phone that's sitting there since I have some minutes remaining and I wonder what will VZW do to the account. I just turn the phone on, make a call and let the battery die.

I have a few GSM phones lying around as well. My E63 gets the most use as I am using the wifi and music player. The Moto Renew and Samsung a137 are in a drawer since I have no use for these phones at this time. both were fully charged before putting them away..

4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I currently have several backup phones. I have V3's in Red, Green, Blue, and black. I have 2 V551's, my iPAQ, and my Motorola A845. I leave the batteries installed (or else I might lose them). I keep them charged up, and I try to use each spare phone 1 day a month. This insures that the batteries get exercised on a semi-regular basis.

-Jay

5. GemmaKnight

GemmaKnight New Member

I myself also have a few older phones and I keep them in a somewhat air tight small chest of mine. :)

6. hme83

hme83 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    I have removed the battery from my L2 as it's really not used at all right now; but I'm not keeping the battery in the fridge. My other "backup" phones are all used fairly regularly so I just keep them charged but powered off.

7. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik New Member

My Phone:
    LG Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I don't really have official backup phones but I do have lots of test phones!:) As far as maintaining them goes I usually take out the batteries and keep them on the shelf.

8. James30154

James30154 New Member

I keep the batteries in my backup phones. It's just easier. Verizon Wireless is allowing Alltel users to keep their Alltel plans. I had AlltelU 15cent/minute plan with my Motorola M800 bag phone and the plan changed over to Verizon Prepaid plan at 15 cents/minute.

9. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile

I also have an old Alltel prepaid (15 cents/min) as well with an LG AX4270. The Alltel account didn't have an expiration, but when the account converted to VZW last week, the account got assigned an expiration date of 7/11/12 (oh well LOL).