Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Maddening Sprint coverage

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by noorvap, Aug 14, 2012.

1. noorvap

noorvap New Member

I joined Sprint in May 2011 and in June 2012 my phone (HTC 4G) started giving me problems (couldn't text, screen skipped around, etc.). Sprint's tech folks told me it was a software issue and I needed to replace the phone, which I did for $35. NOW the phone works but coverage is AWFUL, to the point where calls go directly to voicemail, Maps doesn't work, etc. Sprint can't make up their minds whether its a coverage/tower issue (supposedly storms have knocked towers out for months, upgrades are being done, etc.) OR technical since my husband who also has Sprint doesn't have any of these issues. My favorite is that customer service actually told me to just deal with it. T-Mobile is terrible in DC but not sure where to turn for better, reliable coverage and less dropped calls. I pay good money for this service, but what am I getting in return except excuses?

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Better coverage always comes with a higher price: Verizon or AT&T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi noorvap, and welcome. That is curious that your husband's phone works just fine but yours doesn't. I know that Sprint is going through a network technology change--from WiMax to LTE (and those are 4G solutions). If your husband is using an older phone, his may be working just fine because it is hitting the towers on older network technology. You indicate that you just upgraded but didn't state which phone you have, so I am assuming it is either on WiMax or LTE. When you post back, tell us which make/model phones you both are using.

4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I live in the DC area and Sprint/Nextel is awful. I had a former roommate that had Sprint. He had to go out on the back deck to use his phone, AT&T phones worked in the house with full signal. T-Mobile isn't bad as long as you stay in urban areas. I have AT&T, and I rarely experience problems. There were issues with towers being knocked out in those storms last month, but those issues should be resolved by now. I think the problem you're having is that the phones are using different networks. As mentioned earlier, Sprint's initial decision was to use WiMax for their 4G technology, but it turned out to be the bastard child of 4G solutions. Now Sprint is trying to play catch-up and deploy LTE. Its entirely possible that your phone is using LTE, and his phone is using WiMax.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. chimeraX

chimeraX New Member

I think you are the right person to comment on the following article. techland.time.com/2012/08/20/can-you-hear-me-now-the-10-u-s-cities-with-the-worst-cell-phone-reception/#detroit-michigan
    According to them Sprint has the best coverage in all cities!!!!! Your thoughts…?

6. DM4724

DM4724 New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    My wife and I just switched to Sprint. I've got the Galaxy S3 and my wife has the Galaxy S2. We've experienced some of the same issues and the OP, though things are getting better. We have friends that use some of the "older" Sprint stuff and they don't experience the issues we do.

It's frustrating sometimes but we're willing to be patient and give Sprint time to build out it's network. When we had Verizon there were very few places we'd go that we didn't have excellent coverage, but I seem to remember not to long ago (where I live anyway) VZW's coverage wasn't all that great. I'm hoping that Sprint continues to aggressively roll out the LTE stuff, and improving the 3G side as well. I can't remember where I saw it but I recently read an article that says Sprint planning on using the old frequencies/licenses from Nextel for their CMDA network which will really help out with in building coverage.