Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

MacBlogz: AT&T iPhone Tethering Plan, $30/month

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by bobolito, Nov 12, 2008.

1. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    AT&T iPhone Tethering Plan Specifics, No Unlimited Plan?
    Posted by Aviv on November 11, 2008 at 9:35 am PST

AT&T Mobility CEO Ralph De La Vega has recently announced the arrival of an official iPhone tethering plan. While we already knew the plan was in development prior to his announcement, little information pertaining to specific tethering offerings has been revealed.

On October 23rd, a source was able to confirm for MacBlogz, that AT&T was developing an iPhone tethering plan, and that it wasn’t being released due to “problematic issues caused by AT&T’s cellular network, coupled with extreme caution being practiced by AT&T.”

The reason we haven’t heard or seen anything about it, is because AT&T is being extremely paranoid of how the service will run on their network. “Since I’ve worked here, I’ve never seen them be so worried about legalities,” my colleague explained. Regarding the service being available to Blackberry users, he says that it’s a different situation. Blackberry users haven’t slammed AT&T’s network by the millions in one quarter, in such large rushes. “Regardless of how many billions of dollars AT&T pours into their 3G network, it hasn’t been stable enough to handle all you iPhone users,” he explained.

Interestingly, on November 6th, AT&T (finally) publicly announced that an iPhone tethering plan was in the works, and was coming “soon.” The same source that was able to confirm the validity of the tethering plan for me, has shed some light on a few specific pieces of information (pertaining to iPhone tethering) we can expect from AT&T, when the plan is finally released.

• 5GB Data Cap (just like Blackberry users) - AT&T will automatically turn off your tethering connection if you use too much bandwidth. Of note, the 5GB cap might get sliced for all users, not just iPhone users, in order to accommodate all new tethering plan customers (bandwidth demand).
    • Initial connection through iTunes? (not sure if this is every time you connect, or just for initial setup)
    • Expected speeds: GPRS: 30k - dialup speeds / EDGE: 110k - ISDN speeds / 3G: 1000k - slow broadband.
    • You’ll want to disable auto-updates for everything, so as to not go over usage limitations.
    • Will be +$30/month, new iPhone plans may be rolled out with tethering rolled in.
    • Do not pro-rate tethering/bandwidth, it can become a nightmare, instead wait until new billing cycle.
    • For unlimited bandwidth, AT&T will tell you to get a wireless PC card.
    • No idea on a launch date.

My colleague has worked at AT&T for some time now, so this advice should be taken relatively seriously if you are at all interested in controlling your monthly payments.

http://www.macblogz.com/2008/11/11/att-iphone-tethering-plan-specifics-no-unlimited-plan/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...