Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

M505 Error - Any one know how to resolve this?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by AzRzr04, Jan 25, 2007.

1. AzRzr04

AzRzr04 New Member

Provider: Sprint
    Phone: Razr

Q1: Why won't my music application work? Simply selecting Music in the menu results in Error M505: Unable to read Memory Card...

I replaced the microcard with a new 1G micro card...no improvement.

Sprint Techs say its a device issue...problem is I've checked two display models and a friends Razr and all show the same error message.

Q2: Must I purchase MPT if all I want is to download songs from my PC to the microcard using a card reader? (I'm not really interested in any other functionality...I use my workphone - Treo - for everything else).

When viewed on my PC the microcard shows files have indeed been transferred but the Rzr won't even open the music application "Sprint Music Store" that I assume I need to use to play the songs. I even placed the microcard in my workphone (Treo650) but that player doesn't see the song files either?? When I try accessing Sprint Music Store via the web function I can't download songs because of the same microcard error. I'm stumped!

Many thanks for anyone who can help me on this! AzRzr

2. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Have you tried a different brand of microSD card? I know it might sound weird, but sometimes devices just seem picky about certain things. I have a computer that will not read TDK DVD-R's, but it will burn to a blank one just fine. The disc works in other computers too. If the prioblem is happening in any Motorola I would guess there is some issue realted to that. You shouldn't have to use MPT to put music on your phone...that would defeat the purpose of removable media in my opinion. Has Sprint done something to the pone to prevent people from loading their own songs? That would be pretty rotten were it the case.

Also, I presume the Razr is capable of using 1GB cards (i.e. the max supported size is not, say, 512MB)?

3. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    there is no way to plug your phone into the comp and put music on it you have to remove the memory card............also..........if you go to Menu>Settings>Security

select format Externel memory

that might work although i doubt it since youve tried 2 different microSD cards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That's bizarre that you can't do it without removing the card from the phone.

5. AzRzr04

AzRzr04 New Member

Can you believe it my problems got even worse. The phone has slowed to a crawl...phone or multi-tap entries result in double entries. Forget the pictures or songs...I just want to dial a phone number. Too many problems...I took the phone back and settled for a Samsung. The Razr is a great looking phone but doesn't matter any if I can't use it as an actual phone. The kid at the store confirmed that folks have cancelled their service due to frustration with the Razr...for any of you that still have the phone after the initial 30 days hopefully the software upgrade will be out soon to help resolve some of this phones problems. :mad:

6. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i've had my RAZR since November........i love it.......havent had any problems with it that were because of faulty hardware........all were fixable.......dont ever bluetooth music to your phone cuz it becomes read only.........then you need to do a hard reset to get rid of it......haha :biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. AzRzr04

AzRzr04 New Member

Glad to hear it...hopefully just a few of us in Arizona got a bad batch of Razrs. Damn cool lookin' phone...sorry I had to give it up.

8. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah they are pretty awesome.......good lookin

9. jlinchec

jlinchec New Member

I just got a new RAZR today, and I have the exact same problem. I called support, and they said it was a hardware issue.

The person that suggested this:
    'select format Externel memory'
    It's a good idea, but this option is not even available from the security menu. There is no option like this at all.

I've tried:
    Reformating the card in my computer
    Putting files on the card from my computer
    Updated the software on the phone

Anyone ever resolve this?

10. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i never had trouble with my memory card but if its just not reading the memory card properly then i would guess that its your phone and they sent you a faulty device....

11. jlinchec

jlinchec New Member

I figured this out today.

By comparing my (brand new) RAZR to another RAZR at the store, it was obvious that my RAZR came with a factory defect. Looking inside the memory card slot, at least 2 of the pins were missing from the left hand side. Looking at the store's RAZR, I could see it had a full line of pins from left to right.

So if you are having this problem, I suggested looking at the pins and possibly taking your phone back.

12. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    you should point this out to the store cuz they will probably exchanges something liket that