Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

LTE not automatic?

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by KevinJames, Sep 4, 2013.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    The day I bought my Unite wireless hotspot, I noticed my Samsung Note2 started showing LTE. When I visited the East Bay (Pleasanton, Dublin, San Ramon) or when I went to Modesto, my phone would show LTE, but when I was in Tracy (hometown), the LTE indicator was not active. I assumed that it must have been a coincidence that LTE came online the same day I got the hotspot. But in speaking to a sales clerk at the ATT store, they said that LTE is not automatically given to phones, even if they are capable of it. That doesn't sound right seeing as I did get it in other towns, but he claimed that when I upgraded to the new family-shared data plan (free voice & text but metered data), they activated LTE. That seems a bit deviously shrewd on ATT's part if that is true.

2. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Sounds screwy to me :confused: Normally operators try to push users to the newest technology because it's faster, more efficient, etc. than the older technologies. Most new phones I have bought were also configured to choose 3G first and take 2G as a fallback. So it sounds strange that AT&T would want to limit access to their LTE network :confused: The only reasons I can think of for that, would be that the engineering department is not confident in their LTE network yet and are phasing users onto it slowly while they are still tuning and tweaking it. Or their marketing/sales department runs the show and decided only to give LTE to customers who pay more $ ? :confused: But angering half your customers doesn't sound like a very good marketing strategy to me (but then what do I know, I'm an engineer...;))

My guess is this AT&T rep you talked to doesn't know what he's talking about. Talk to somebody else at AT&T and see what they have to say.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    RadioRaiders: I think your last sentence, "rep you talked to doesn't know what he's talking about," is probably the most accurate. I don't feel a need to follow up on it anymore. I was just posting so that any that have LTE-capable phones, if they are not getting it and they know the area is equipped, may want to go have a "friendly chat" with their customer service dept.

Regarding the dependability of the support force: Both in-store and 611 seem to be clueless at times. I just spoke to 611 today. I asked why my two Unite Hotspots are not sync'd when it comes to reporting data use. At first they said they would both show independent use. I then challenged: "Why should that be. They and my smartphones are all feeding off the same plate (of data portion). They should all report the total use." The rep then retracted and said i was right. I've had a number of other experiences that way. Good thing I used to work for ATT and have a fairly good understanding of tech, otherwise I'd believe a bunch of falsehoods they passed off as fact.