Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Low Cost Wireless Availability for Low Volume Data from a PC?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by a0128958, Dec 7, 2012.

1. a0128958

a0128958 New Member

I could use some help finding a low cost wireless service that I could use to provide an Internet connection to a fixed in place workstation PC running a special application.

My monthly upload volume is less than 100 KB. A slow upload/download speed is fine.

I need an Ethernet connection to the whatever modem I use.

I need to 'port forward' 5150 to the PC's LAN IP Address, for TCP and UDP.

I need the service for ZIPs 75074 (Plano, a suburb of Dallas), 77803 (Bryan, near Texas A&M Univ, Texas), and 70119 (New Orleans).

CLEAR's 4G WiMAX $35 500 kbps upload service works fine, including offering a modem with 2 Ethernet ports, and allows for port forwarding of 5150 to the PC's LAN IP Address. But it's very expensive, relative to the monthly data volume, at $35/month.

I looked at DataJack's $10/month service. Their coverage includes the 3 ZIPs I listed above. But their modem/router doesn't support inclusion of an Ethernet connection (only WiFi).

I don't need a 4G WiMAX or LTE based service. Don't have a lot of data to transfer.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Why does it need to be wired ethernet? I can think of cheaper options, including just plugging the phone into the computer's USB port, and connecting through the USB cable.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. a0128958

a0128958 New Member

Actually, it does not need to be wired Ethernet. I can hook up an Ethernet-to-WiFi Bridge and connect to the computer via WiFi.

The computer's purpose is very limited: it transmits building energy related data (HTTP WEB posts) to 'the cloud' (off site data processor and collection server). Volume of data transmitted to the Internet is approximately 40 MB per month. The computer posts about a 1000 bytes of data every minute, and thus a very low speed wireless connection is adequate.

The computer also functions as a Web Server to enable configuration changes. When configuration change work is performed remote to the LAN the computer is on (i.e. from the WAN), the computer uses port 5150 to 'talk' to it from the WAN. I.e., the computer needs port 5150 forwarded to the computer's LAN IP address.

The computer does not have a USB port. Only a wired ethernet connection (or a WiFi connection if I plug into the computer a WiFi-to-Ethernet Bridge).

I'm currently using CLEAR's 4G WiMAX service, using their modem/router that includes 2 Ethernet jacks. This router does include the ability to configure port forwarding. I.e., I have port 5150 forwarded to 192.168.1.161 in the CLEAR's router.

Everything works fine technically. The big problem here is I am paying $35 per month to transmit only 40 MB per month. I'm trying to find a lower cost service if possible.

I looked at DataJack's $10/month service, that uses a MiFi modem/router. Unfortunately it doesn't have any router configuration feature to forward a port to a LAN IP Address (can only forward a port to an application).

An example of what the computer accomplishes is available at Web Energy Logger: .

Hope this exanded explanation helps. I'm looking for a lower cost wireless service that can serve the 3 ZIP code areas I noted above (suburb of Dallas, Bryan TX, and New Orleans.

Thank you and best regards,

Bill

4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    No USB ports on the computer? How old is that thing? You can get USB cards to put in the back, and just use a low cost prepaid USB dongle. Only thing cheaper than that, is to hook it to a landline, and have it dialup once an hour transmit data, then shut down.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. a0128958

a0128958 New Member

It's a special purpose computer that uses an Ethernet-ready computer core from ZWorld. The computer periodically reads many sensor inputs, scales and filters them, and then posts the values to an external Web site, using standard HTTP V1.1 CGI protocol.

The primary destination is an off-site HTTP Web Server.

The computer has a tiny on-board Web server of its own. It provides a simple interface to any Web Browser connected to the computer's LAN. And via port 5150, it provides a simple interface to any Web Browser connected to the computer's WAN.

No USB port.

I'd use a land based connection (of any kind) with no hesitation if it was available. Unfortunately each building I want to put the computer into does not have any communications wires. My connectivity (low speed and low volume as it is) must be wireless.

Thanks for the interest in helping.

Best regards,

Bill