Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Loudon NH tower - is it a cell tower?

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by mmmmna, Aug 21, 2007.

1. mmmmna

mmmmna Junior Member

My Phone:
    Droid X2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I have been laughing at this local radio tower, but maybe I'm nuts when I think it looks weird.

It is on the side of NH route 106, on the northbound side, near the beanstalk store. This is a 'disguised' tower... it looks to me like a Redwood or Sequoia (we know those are so VERY native to NH, lol!). Anyone seen the tower I've mentioned?

If not, I'll snap a shot of it someday....

2. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    The one that sticks out like 50ft over the surrounding area and has a fairly shiny, non bark textured trunk and antennas that don't match? Yea... it's an ugly one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    I know exactly what you are thinking of. I have noticed a few of these cell towers along various highways in NH. The fake pines are generally much taller than any surrounding trees. The big fake trees just bring more attention to the site. The monopines in New Hampshire leave a lot to be desired, but it's better than having no coverage. I assume local zoning requires camouflaged cell sites. A traditional monopole is less noticeable than these massive trees if you ask me.

I will get some pictures this fall. It is quite funny to see these thinks poking up 50 feet above the other trees.

4. mmmmna

mmmmna Junior Member

My Phone:
    Droid X2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    And they do NOT look like any native tree I've seen!

ok, edit time: I just visited the National Geographic site about cell phonies Cell Phonies Photo Gallery - National Geographic Magazine, and the phony tower in "Lake Elsinore in Riverside County, California" is pretty much the same as the Loudon tower.

#4 mmmmna, Aug 28, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  5. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    They're both Sprint sites (actually the one near you is is a Synergy site.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Shame on Sprint. I am glad that they are adding sites, but the huge monopines look so out of place when they tower over the nearby trees. The really bad monopines that I saw were Verizon and I can remember thinking, 'I hope Sprint can do better than this'. Oh well. I am happy every time I see a Sprint site, I just wish it wasn't in the shape of a 120' tall fake tree.

7. SprintTek

SprintTek New Member

unfortunatly, in "all" cases, it is not up to sprint to put these up. It is required by the zoning commitee's in that neighborhood in order to get the cell site approved. No Tree, No Tower. And then the company is at the mercy actual manufacturer of such tower modifications.