Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Lost Cingular Phone

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by OsyaBender, Mar 7, 2005.

1. OsyaBender

OsyaBender New Member

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for an advice on how to proceed about getting a replacement phone for my Cingular Service. As you guessed from the title of this thread, I lost my phone over the weekend. Of course, I didn't have any insurance and I'm about 6 months into my 1 year contract. What suggestions anyone might have for getting a new (not used) phone relatively inexpensively?

I have a $70 Family Plan. Would adding an extra line for $10 a month qualify me for getting a new phone free or at a discount price? Will it automatically extend my contract? If this can be done, will I be able to transfer my number to a newly acquired phone? Any other ideas?

Thank you,

O.Bender

2. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Adding a line will qualify you for a new free/discounted phone. It will require a contract on that line...I am not certain if it will require a contract extension on the already existing lines.

Using the new phone with your other line will not be difficult. I hope you reported the phone lost/stolen so that CIngular could deactivate the SIM card. If not, you should do that first. You will need to buy a new SIM card for the phone number that was assigned to the phone you lost, I think it is $25. ONce you do that you can simply put that card into your new phone.

Another option is to look at new phones on eBay or a place like myworldphone.com.

3. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

Adding a line will get you a great price on the phone for that new line. It won't do a thing for you on your old line. You can call and plead your case, hoping to hook up with a sympathetic rep, but they don't have much room to play with.

You can also check on Ebay and see what kind of deal you can get there. Unfortunately, your choices are few. that's what insurance is for!!!

4. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wirelessly posted (Blackberry: BlackBerry7100/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Not entirely true. Once a new line is added there is nothing to stop anyone from putting an old sim into the new phone. Only problem in this case is that the OP will need to buy a new SIM card to replace the one that was lost.

5. OsyaBender

OsyaBender New Member

Thank you guys for responding so quickly.
    I was extremely lucky to recover my old phone. My 4-year old accidentely threw in into the trash couple of days ago. It was simply by chance that the trash has not been picked up by the sanitation people and no fluids were in that particular trash bag. Saved myself $150-200 big ones.
    Earlier today, I went to the CIngular store and picked up a new SIM as the old one was apparently fried, since I reported the phone lost. The people in the store were very nice and did not charge me anything for the new SIM card.

Best regards,
    O.Bender :)

6. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Glad to hear everything worked out ok for you & they didn't charge you for the new SIM. Are you getting insurance on the phone now?

7. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Did you store your contacts on the phone or on the SIM? That would stink to lose your info.

8. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I'm glad you found the phone!

9. vzw4400

vzw4400 New Member

It would stink either way - He found the phone in the trash!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

10. dallison

dallison Senior Member

:rolleyes: :D

11. zzyzx

zzyzx New Member

I lost my cingular phone too, and i don't think I can find it in the trash or something. What options do I have here? My upgrade is ude in late July, can I negotiate with Cingular to get the phone upgrade sooner? Who should I talk to to negotiate, the customer service or cingluar store manager?
    THanks,

David

12. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If you don't have insurance, your only option is to just buy another one. You can buy from Ebay or Cingular directly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. orioles150

orioles150 Senior Member

My Phone:
    e815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It is always worth trying to talk to cingular and see if they will let you upgrade early. Is your contract up in July? A lot of companies will let you upgrade before your contract is up as long as you sign a new one.

14. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Cingular let's you upgrade 3 months before the 2 year anniversery. I did in Dec for a early April 2 year renewal.

If your father along, buy a $20. 6340i or something similiar (GSM phone) and use it for a few months and then upgrade. I did the same for a broken phone.