Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

CENTRAL U.S. -- Looking to get a certain phone, curious if it will work on ATT?

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by AkiraT, Jun 26, 2011.

1. AkiraT

AkiraT New Member

Long story short, I am absolutely in love with this phone and would like to get it:

2.8 Dual SIM mobile phone FM WEITU X8 cell phone...USD 58.01/Piece Wholesale Price at DHgate.com

I'm currently on ATT and have been swappin the old SIM card from phone to phone, and it appears this one takes a SIM no different than the others.

However, I'd like to confirm that it will work on my network. Since this is out of HongKong I've heard things about different countries running on different frequency bands. I was hoping some of you fellows could shed a little light on that for me?

2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hello and welcome to WA.

You were right to question, the phone that you want has 900/1800 and at&t uses 850/1900 frequency, so unfortunately it will not work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AkiraT

AkiraT New Member

Ah leave it to us Americans to have the oddball frequency.

The thing that left me mostly questioning was this conversation:
    Noblesse Oblige Phone, would you own one? | Facebook

Where Alyssa gets one in Chicago and goes with it no problem. Of course it IS the internet, so who knows if she's being truthful. Nevertheless.. it's interesting.

In all reality THIS is the one I really want..
    [​IMG]

But from what I've found it never made it out of prototype stages and into the market in Japan let alone the US.
    Such is life.

4. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Alyssa is wrong, a 900/1800 phone cannot work in the US or Canada. In fact the phone's own websites tell you that. She never did post a video of it working as she said she would.

In general I would stay away from Chinese knock offs, they are more trouble than they are worth usually. Somehow the price on that phone went from 50 something to 500 something, I would even question the legitimacy of the whole site.

You are absolutely right, it is the Internet and for all you know Alyssa works for them.

Sorry you can't get your dream phone, if it makes you feel any better, it is an entry level phone with pretty dismal specs.

Btw, nice to "meet" another poster from WI. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Dismal specs doesn't deter people from buying a cool phone. The original Motorola V3 had poorer RF and slower data than other high end phones of its time, and when released, it cost hundreds of dollars and people still wanted it. The first generation iPhone is another example. Had slower data, poorer battery life and poorer reception than many other high end phones of its era, yet it sold for hundreds of dollars.

Both phone's initial success was due to people thinking it was cool, so they had to have it.

6. efparri

efparri Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    The phone would never have worked in Japan since Japan does not have a GSM network.