Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Looking for provider in Michigan w/ 1k mins+

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by Amazon Jim, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Amazon Jim

Amazon Jim New Member

Trying to find a phone plan that will work for me. I'm currently Nextel and DO NOT have a contract w/ them. It's 300 out/unlim free incoming 2way etc. I have an office phone, but my job is taking me out of the office more and more. I also use Skype when able.

My parents have a Verizon plan I could go on (I work w/ my dad) 900 mins for them, but I'd need to up their plan by 1k minutes or so. I'm NOT a big fan of V (long story), but I'm open to anyone. I'm only really looking for a bluetooth and maybe MP3 player flip phone. Smallest amount of cash possible - but I guess it doesn't really matter if I like the phone. :)

I'm paying $60/month and wanted to see what other suggest given my situation. I like the rollover from ATT and the phones seem fine too. I wouldn't mind a planner in a phone either, like a Blackberry, but I just don't want to get crazy on prices.....right now, I have multiple telephone lines and voice mails for my business and I spend $200+/month on all that. My cell is the most expensive part. :(

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

James

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Well, Verizon may be a good option if you could just join your Dad's Account and split the cost with them- you would not have to pay for your whole account.
    If ALLTEL is available where you are, I would definitely consider them. They give you a generous number of minutes, and their plans include a feature called MyCircle which allows you to call any 10 numbers (any network, even landlines) for free.
    T-Mobile has generous allotments of minutes and a feature called MyFaves on some of their plans, which lets you call any 5 Numbers (any network, even landlines) for free.

A feature like MyCircle or MyFavs may work out better for you than rollover, depending on your usage.

3. budone

budone Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Where about's in MI???

4. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Saginaw? Go with Alltel you won't regret it at all. In fact you may just love it....

If you wanted to still pay 59.99 for the plan...which turns into about 68 after taxes/fees you can get My Circle, any 10 free numbers completely unlimited, 900 anytime minutes, m2m, 9pm n/w. You can customize the plan more as well if you want. For phones the RAZR 2 (pricey), LG 8600, and LG Wave fit the bill for a phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    OK Chad!! LOL you gotta love their commercials.

6. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    speaking of Alltel my Avatar is an Alltel tower in Frankfort MI.

7. cellular_freak

cellular_freak Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I go to SVSU and I know for a fact that Alltel is the best cell phone carrier around here as far as coverage goes. They have the best call quality too. Anytime my phone (Verizon) doesn't have service (which isn't too often) I am ALWAYS on Alltel unless I'm in the thumb (Then I'm on Thumb Cellular). So I would definitely go with Alltel or Verizon if you're looking for good service.

I used to have Nextel, and I don't even know how you can stand to still have them, LOL. I dropped calls left and right. I don't think I ever made one call without dropping it due to the network being "busy" or I didn't have service.

8. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I will go along with what chad said (I mean strunke) :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    He needs to change his name to MR Alltel or Alltel Pimp. Alltel needs to pay him some commision for all his refers.

Maybe if Suncom, Dobson, Unicel or (insert your previous carrier here) had him they would have stuck around alittle longer.

10. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah Alltel pimp does do a great job. When I grow up I want to be just like him and Moto ;)

11. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Heck yah, I work for one of Alltels rival companies and now I want an Alltel phone. lol

12. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well come on over to the Alltel side. We always want more friends and we have great prices.

13. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Hahah......
    I've had/have every carrier in Michigan and I travel around it a lot. Almost veryone else overage stinks in my humble opinion (more like the big 4). The closest to them overall is Centennial and Dobson. I don't believe they are in Saginaw. And I will never recommend At&t :) However Alltel is not perfect everywhere...

14. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    haha.. that is funny.

At least in my experience, when alltel is an option, they usually have good coverage and better prices than the Big 4. T-Mobile with My Faves and 5 numbers is close but I still prefer the alltel plans with My Circle and 10 numbers. And those are the 2 big factors to choosing a provider imo while phone selection and customer support are also important.

Even though it sounds like a sales pitch, for most areas alltel covers it's usually true. I was looking at the Verizon plans the other day, and thinking now that I have 5 lines, if I didn't have My Circle and paying $69/mo + added lines for 900 anytime mins + about 5000 My Circle mins/month, I'd have to have at least 2100 mins and pay $109/mo or more + added lines with the big V. That adds up to over $480/yr. And coverage is always area dependent, but it also seems like alltel is able to focus on areas that aren't a priority for the others and they are almost always in the 850 MHz band, giving them good airwaves for the potential of good coverage in most areas.

15. Amazon Jim

Amazon Jim New Member

Oh I agree on the Nextel front....drop calls all the time. I figured it was because my phone is 4 years old - i730. I've dropped the phone plenty and it keeps on ticking.

EDIT: Also, I have A LOT of incoming calls....hence the reason I'm mostly w/ Nextel. I'm mostly in Saginaw, so coverage for most of the carriers listed is very good.

16. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    If free incoming is a requirement then you could look at the cdma side of Sprint with a free incoming plan. But other then that your best bet for your money would be Alltel with the 10 free numbers...

17. cellular_freak

cellular_freak Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yeah, mainly it's due to the fact that the iDEN network really can't hold a lot of people at one time on it's towers. That's the reason for all the dropped calls. Also, since iDEN is TDMA based, you get that buzzing in your speakers just like with a lot of GSM phones, which I find particularly annoying. I actually used to have the i730 and i830 so I know it's not the individual phones, it's the network.

Since you do for sure live in Saginaw, I can tell you now since I'm there all the time and I've had about every technology, that Alltel or Verizon would be your best bet. I wouldn't go for Sprint due to the fact that it's not really Sprint in our area, it's iPCS, and their coverage SUCKS, LOL.