Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Look Closer, Tmobile plans in CA and NV not so hot

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by ILUVSOCAL, Jul 16, 2002.

1. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    I got looking closer at the plans for California and Nevada, and they aren't so hot once you notice this:

henever, Wherever in the US
    The National Plan gives you:

One flat rate per month

Calls to anywhere in the country with GSM coverage

Calls from anywhere in the country with GSM coverage

No long distance or digital roaming charges

So, what happens if you call an area without GSM coverage? There are an awful lot of areas in the US without GSM coverage.

California & Nevada Neighborhood
    which includes California and Nevada.

Regional Rate Plans offer:

Calls to and from anywhere within this region--you pay no long distance or roaming charges

Calls made from within the region to outside the region incur long distance charges

Calls made from outside the region incur long distance and roaming charges

So, you get charged LD to calls outside this area, and on top of that, if you go outside this area, you pay roaming plus LD. Not too hot in my view.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. rjlawrencejr

rjlawrencejr New Member

That plan still sounds better than what I or most of the people I know have with VZ or ATT. My plan only covers the 5-county LA region + free roaming in SD. Calling the 702 or calls to NoCal would be LD + Roaming AFAIK.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

i think you misunderstood what it means. read closer..

4. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    ILUVSOCAL you are forgetting that VoiceStream's phones are GSM only so therefor on a national plan as long as your phone is picking up a signal there is no roaming or long distance charges. I think the plans are rather good myself but they're not for everybody.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

If you are in a GSM-covered area in the US, then there are no roaming charges to use your phone, and there are no long distance charges to call any phone number in the US, regardless of whether that phone is located within GSM coverage. IF you are not in a GSM covered area, then it makes little difference since your phone is useless.

6. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    as aononymous said - you can call TO anywhere in the US whether or not they gave GSM, for free. Obvioulsy you cannot call FROM anywhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

I LuvSOCAL had it right he was simply breaking down the plans offered by t-mobile.

TNDAN i think he realizes that on the national plans you can roam free on any GSM signal in the country but that this could severely limit your coverage area.......also i think he was pointing out that on the regional plans you will play roaming to call from a GSM area outside CA&NV

and MATT what you said isn't quite true ."you can call TO anywhere in the US whether or not they gave GSM, for free"........as ILUVSOCAL posted and which i double checked on the t-mobile site on the regional plans any calls made from within the calling area (CA &NV) BUT end OUTSIDE THE calling area are charged LD

although i suppose you meant the national plans but ILUVSOCAL was posting about the two types both national and regional.

8. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes I was speaking about the national plans.....sorry for not clarifying. LD is 20c for the regional plan I think. Sorry [​IMG]

9. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    I understand what it means, I was, as Idiot said, just breaking down the plans. This one phrase still strikes me as odd though:

"Calls to anywhere in the country with GSM coverage"

If you take it literally, that would really limit your calling area, perhaps it's just a misprint?

10. CaliphoniaBoy

CaliphoniaBoy Senior Member

with their NATIONAL PLAN

it is calls from anywhere where they have coverage or roaming agreements (GSM coverage)

and it is to any phone number in the continental US (48 states) plus Hawaii.

Attention for those who want to call Alaska: I think they charger long distance for Alaska

And I am positive about that... so Iluvsocal was totally right nor wrong in the first post.

C.

11. Jodi

Jodi Keep on swimming...

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I'm sure T-mobile has a fine reputation across the country, but when something is SO new to such a big area, like CA, you know there's wrinkles which will have to be ironed out. It might be best to keep an eye on their progress until they're stable enough in CA to run with the best of them here.

My 2 cents worth...

12. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    << So, you get charged LD to calls outside this area, and on top of that, if you go outside this area, you pay roaming plus LD. Not too hot in my view. >>

LOL...Iluvsocal...don't tell me you've never seen this before. That's how ALL carriers charge when you go outside of the regional area.

13. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    ^^ Not Verizon or Cingular AFAIK here, it's just that lovely 69 cents per minute rate! Gotta love that [​IMG]

14. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    ^^ which is the same rate you pay on VS. 49cents to roam, 20 cents LD.

15. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Good point, Matt.

16. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Exactly Matt! Cingular used to charge $0.55 per minute for roaming and $0.15 per minute for long distance. All they did was to combine them together and call it "roaming only" but it's the same thing:
    $0.55 + $0.15 = $0.70 (minus a penny to make it look cheaper = $0.69)

Get it?

By the way, Verizon did the same thing and they now charge $0.69/minute. Same deal as Cingular.

17. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Roaming charges are BS IMO. If you are on a local plan, and roam somewhere on your own network, it should be cheaper than to roam on someone elses network. Im glad those national network plans are out!

18. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    There ok

Jack

19. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Roaming charges is how wireless companies make most profit. They don't have to pay as much to the carrier with whom they have the agreement because those agreements are "two-way":
    "If you let me use your network for my customers, I'll let you use my network for your customers."