Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Long Island, NY Coverage

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by ajulius, Jul 23, 2002.

1. ajulius

ajulius New Member

I am curious as to how the Cellular Carriers in the Long Island market are in terms of non roaming coverage.

Most people that I know in Long Island have SprintPCS or Verizon. Verizon had a huge headstart in the Long Island market. But SprintPCS has built out coverage very fast and is now alot better than it was when it first came out. SprintPCS when it came out had no contracts unlike Verizon and had more competitive rate plans. I dont know about how prices compare today. Does Verizon still have better coverage or have SprintPCS + Verizon relatively caught up with each other or have better coverage in different areas of Long Island?

In terms of Voicestream/Cingular (as they share coverage in NY), AT&T and Nextel, how is coverage on Long Island for these carriers since I do not know anyone with them in the Long Island area.

Northcoast is going to be another carrier entering this region (they are owned by same company as Cablevision), but obviously they will have a hard time competing with the other carriers as they have not yet even built out in this area.

Would it be correct that in terms of marketshare for current or upcoming carriers for Long Island, NY the following would be correct:

Verizon
    SprintPCS
    AT&T
    Voicestream
    Nextel
    Northcoast PCS

Since Cingular shares the Voicestream network, I would consider that part of Voicestream above.

2. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Northcoast PCS is not run by cablevision. It is run by a Dolan family member who used to work for cablevision. I want to see how Northcoast PCS will do.

3. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Interested to see that myself dobby.

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

I live in Long Island. I've had VS, AT&T and Verizon.

Stay away from VS, there service is intermitten and they are not willing to help their customers. Very unprofessional company. I live in Garden City and if I were to travel 5 minutes away from my house I wouldn't have service. For the most part I don't have service in my own house. It's ridiculous. (If you want to know more about VS, I wrote a long post in the topic "VoiceStream for my needs or no".

Verizon and AT&T both give excellent service. The reason I left Verizon was because of a little billing problem and left AT&T because VS offered more minutes and were suppose to give me coverage in a large area-which was not true.

If I had to pick one I would go for Verizon because in my opinion they provide the best service in NY and the east coast.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

VS IS ONLY INTERESTED IN COLLECTING YOUR MONEY..