Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

LGVX 8600 vs KRZR

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by vicken, Mar 20, 2007.

1. vicken

vicken Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I need help deciding between these two phones. I want the one that gets better reception(ability to pull in a signal and call quality) and is going to be the most reliable phone. I need to make my decision by this weekend.

2. vicken

vicken Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No opinions? I need to make my decision by Sunday because my 15 days is up. Any experiences to report?

3. lildrummerboy

lildrummerboy Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samung 740
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon
    These are both two very good phones in my opinion. But for my money I like the krazr. I've had a couple of 8600's exchanged for reception issues. Motorola is typically known for good reception. Feature wise they're virtually identical, so you can't really go wrong with either one. perhaps this link will help, http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/compare.php?id%5B%5D=999&id%5B%5D=1005. The 8600 was rated better here so you'll have to decide. At least this will provide you a chance to read some reviews.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Ellen

Ellen Guest

I would take those reviews with a grain of salt, especially those phonescoop reviews. MOTO haters will always post bad reveiws on the Motorola phones to bring the numbers down and LG haters do the same thing to the LG phones. Case in point, read the early reviews on that site between the LG 8300 and the Motorola E815. I personally have found the review on Cnet to be more reliable. http://reviews.cnet.com/Cell_phones/2001-3504_7-0.html?tag=glnav I do agree with you that Motorolas do tend to get better reception over LG's. I use both and all my Moto's get a better signal than my LG's do.

5. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    From my personal experience LG does better in the CDMA dept. than the GSM one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #5 Tony E!, Mar 25, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  6. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    My personal experience with CDMA LGs on Verizon has been excellent.

Although I don't own the 8600 but I plan on getting it to replace the LG 7000 in June. The LG 6000 was my all time favorite CDMA phone with phenomenoal rf, problem free Firmware and great UI.

Over and above my great experience with Verizon LG' s they offer the ease of manually going on "Extended Network" in poor reception areas and since I live in Verizon's "Black Hole" this is a must for me.

Ofcourse the fact that I had the worst Moto ever (T720) just before the LG 6000 makes me a little biased. ;)

In any case today was the decision making day for the OP, so I am curious to know what you got vicken. :)

7. Ellen

Ellen Guest

I would agree with you as far as past LG models went for GSM service, but Cingular has changed that with the roll out of the CU 500. That was the first LG mobile handset released to the US with HSDPA high speed data. The CU 400 although not equipped with a memory card is also doing very well in the reviews that it has received so far.

8. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Just out of curiosity, is this from your personal experience with these models or from the reviews you read?

9. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Both LGs and Samsungs, the typically CDMA heavy hitters have come a long way in their GSM lineup.

Unfortunately, even though the CU 500 is the first HSDPA device in the US it does not stack up in the reception department to any of the other Cingular offerings.

From my personal experience it drops calls in areas where none of my phones V600, V557, PEBL, 6131. or my Blackjack ever have.

There are a handful of WAers who are not too happy CU500 owners & one of the returned it due to the frequency of dropped calls.

I also find the built quality to be rather flimsy.

I have no personal experience with the CU 400, so I can not comment on it.

Ok back to CDMA :)

10. Ellen

Ellen Guest

I tried the CU 500 but I returned it in less then 8 hours because I hated the camera on it. I do admit that I didn't fully test it for that reason. Never tried the CU 400 after the CU500 picture quality. But if you read the reviews for both of these phones, they are both doing better than the past LG GSM models.

11. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I see, it made me wonder since i only recalled seeing T-Mobile and VZW as your service provider and T-Mobile doesn't offer the CU400 OR 500 but i see that you have Cingular as your provider as well now.

Wonder why T-Mobile doesn't carry any LG phones? perhaps T-Mobile prefers the GSM quality of Samsung and Motorola?

12. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Actually Cingular and TMobile have been in my profile since day one on here. Because TMobile doesn't offer me coverage every were I needed it I had to take out a Cingular PP line over a year ago for backup coverage.
    Verizon and the LG 8300 is the new one that you see added to my profile on here. I now have service with all 3 carriers. :D

13. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    wow, that's alot of phones to carry.....lol

14. Ellen

Ellen Guest

LOL, I only carry one phone with me at a time depending on what time of day it is. Verizon OR Cingular will be leaving my profile shortly.

15. vicken

vicken Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well, I decided that I am keeping the 8600 and not pushing my luck to exchange it for the KRZR. I was looking at howardforums and all the posts on both phones, I also searched CNET reviews and PCMAG reviews, and also spoke to different customer service reps.

The consensus on howardforums was that the 8600 is by far the better phone and actually gets better reception than the KRZR. A lot of complaints about the KRZR's software and battery dying too soon. This was confirmed when talking to the customer service reps. They told me to stay away from the RAZR and KRZR. One guy told me that those two phones are the most returned and complained about from customers and he was very adamant about not buying a MOTO phone. He said LG's are built better. When I looked on CNET and PCMAG the 8600 was rated better than the KRZR on CNET and the same rating on PCMAG. Though PCMAG also said that as far as reception goes the 8600 was comparable to the MOTO e815. CNET said the 8600 had very clear call quality and people couldn't even tell they were on a cell phone.

So anyway I'm keeping the 8600, I am happy with it, it is an excellent phone. I paid 49.99 for it with a 50.00 mail in rebate which means they will end up giving me a penny for the phone (employer discount).

By the way, Verizon' service rocks!!

16. Jawilars

Jawilars New Member

My Phone:
    Moto W755
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Amen.

I'm now eligible for an upgrade, phone-wise, and this discussion has swayed me towards the 8600. Thanks.

I'm curious whether or not I can get the phone from somewhere other than Verizon? I ordered my E815 (which is now battered and broken, but was a great phone otherwise) from Amazon and it came without the Verizon UI. I was pleased at that.
    I'm a bit apprehensive to sign contracts as well. I'd like to stay contract free. Is it worth the extra cost for the phone?

17. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

I know this is OT for the thread, but on the general topic of LG phones. Charlyee is certainly more knowledgeable than I am about a far wider range of phones. However, I have had good experiences in general with the LG CU500. So much so that I even brought it with me to T-Mobile when I switched from Cingular.

The CU500 definitely had dropped call issues when it was released by Cingular in the summer of 2006. I believe that at least some of these issues were addressed by a firmware release for the phone (released in October 2006, if I remember) and the general maturation of the Cingular 3G network. That is, I'm not convinced that the dropped call issues were intrinsic to the phone itself, vs the particular firmware version and network equipment. I'd be curious whether people are still having dropped cal issues with the CU500 or these were experiences from some time ago.

Again, not to antagonize my friend Charlyee, but to me, build quality on the CU500 is fine. The only thing I could quibble about is that the flip hinge does loosen a bit over time. This does not bother me personally, as it still feels sturdy enough. The keys, screen brightness/sharpness, body material, external screen and buttons, charging system are all a pleasure to use.

IMO the CU500 camera is OK, for a phone camera, but not great. It has no flash and is not very good in low light conditions. I have taken some good pictures with it, but almost all of these were in bright sunlight. I do like the rotating design of the CU500 camera and the external controls, as this lets you be much more flexible about how you hold the camera when you take the picture. Not that I would ever try to take a picture secretly. ;) :D

I will try to post some of my recent CU500 pics in the next few days.

SW