Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

lg vx6100 shut off

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by lizardliz, Sep 6, 2005.

1. lizardliz

lizardliz New Member

My Phone:
    LG vx6100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I've had my vx6100 phone for about 4 months now and only within the last few weeks it has been shutting off on me with the battery fully charged. I have noticed that it mostly happens when I lose signal or it's searching for service...I go to flip open the phone and it just turns itself off. It's really annoying because it also happens when I receive a call that I try to answer but the phone dies on me. One time even after I turned it back on it turned itself off again a few seconds later. :eek: I'm thinking it's some kind of power save feature and I'm wondering if there's anyway to turn it off.
    There's also a new firmware upgrade? T6NVZV03 ? Hmm, I wonder if that will fix it. Do we have to go to an actual Verizon store or can it be done at any kiosk at the mall? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I would go to a Verizon store if possible, unless you know for sure that the Kiosk is a regular Verizon corp. and not a reseller location, this way you don't have to worry about if something goes wrong by a reseller or if they have the abilities to upgrade the software if that is the problem, at the store they may just replace the phone, since it's under the 1 year warranty.

3. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    The battery may be shot even if it shows a charge. Did you try cleaning the contacts on the battery and phone? IF no luck, its got to go back to the VZW store or LG.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    ONe thing Verizon requires before doing any exchange is that the phones have the latest software, so the OP would definitely need to get the latest software, if that doesn't solve the issue then Verizon will exchange the phone with no questions asked.

5. lizardliz

lizardliz New Member

My Phone:
    LG vx6100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thank you guys so much! I thought I would post an update on what's going on...so what I ended up doing is removing the battery and taking a look at the contacts. There wasn't anything noticeable on them but I cleaned them anyway and reinserted the battery. Now, a few days have gone by and my phone hasn't shut off! :D Now I just need to find the time to visit the VZW store closest to me and have the firmware upgraded...is it really necessary? Has any one noticed any major changes to the new firmware?

6. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Save yourself a trip; call them first and tell them what version you have. If you have an old one then go ahead. Its not always necessary depending o what features you use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. twood2800

twood2800 Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Curve
    Wireless Provider(s):
    U.S. Cellular
    whats the "firmwire"??

8. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    From phonescoop:

Firmware

Firmware is something in-between "hardware" and "software" - hence the name "firmware".

Hardware, in high-tech devices like phones, is any part of the phone that is physical and cannot be changed unless physically replaced. For example, Verizon phones are CDMA, while VoiceStream phones are GSM. The two systems are incompatible. The Verizon phone contains a CDMA chip that was designed specifically to deal with CDMA. It is permanently wired that way, and could never be changed to GSM with any kind of upgrade.

Software, meanwhile, refers to things that can be changed. In a computer, you can of course load new software whenever you want. You can even load a whole new operating system. The software is stored on in memory chips while in use, but as soon as the computer is turned off, whatever was in the memory chips is gone, but a copy is saved on the hard disk.

Phones need to store various non-permanent things, too, such as an operating system, roaming instructions, and your phone book. But there is no room for a disk of any kind, and it wouldn't be good if your phone lost its operating system (and thus became useless) every time you turned it off.

Which is where firmware comes in. Firmware uses special memory chips that can hold information even when the phone is turned off and battery-less. It's sort of like hardware, because it acts just like a permanently-wired chip, but it's also like software because it can be changed at any time.

So firmware is technically how your phone stores its phone book, but when most people here talk about firmware, they are talking about the roaming instructions (PRL) or operating system.

You can have your PRL updated and your phone will be able to roam in new areas. Sometimes operating system updates are available that fix bugs in the way the phone works. Sometimes updates even add new features, such as ERI or 2-way text messaging. These are all firmware updates.