Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

LG VX-1 problems

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by Guest, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I just recently purchased this phone from a chinese dealer and been having problems. i got it for a total of 80 dollars and joined verizon's promotional plan.. All this hype i hear about how good verizon really is, is just crap...
    My calls on my phone sound like they are on analog mode on my old AT&T 8260.. My old nokia had far better call quality and virtually no static. When I place a call and it rings, I can hear some small amounts of static. And when I walk around my house and am talking on the phone, I still get a little bit of static sometimes. I mean even though its in digital mode and my reception is good, the calls are not clear compared to my 8260 on AT&T.

But.... when someone else is talking to me , they claim that it doesnt sound like im talking on a cell phone. Could it be that my phone is just having issues? because this is bullshit.. I personally like the phone for attractiveness and features, but little stuff like this pisses me off.

I currently live in east oakland, california. everyone has verizon and doesnt complain. but recently, people have been telling me that more and more people are joining verizon and overloading the networks. so some calls do not go through. but as far as sound quality goes , no one is having a problem. and i do not know anyone else who has the same phone as me..

all the reviews for lg vx-1 have been positive for sound quality.. hopefully i didn't get cheated into purchasing a refurbished phone...

some feedback and personal opinions would be greatly appreciated. =)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Since you bought the phone for $80, I'd say something is wrong with it. I don't know if it's refurbished (most likely the case) or what, but I have had Verizon for 3 years strong now and I've never experienced anything like you speak of. I even have the older version of the VX1--the LG-TM510.

Mentioning a "Chinese Dealer" would either mean that you're making a stereotypical remark or that you bought it from a Chinese source that you don't trust/doesn't look legitimate, etc. I'm going to assume the 2nd, and say that's what happens when you buy from an outside source. I'm sure many on this forum have done so, but you're taking a 50/50 chance in getting a quality phone. ALWAYS buy directly through the service provider (Verizon store/online, Cingular, Sprint, VoiceStream, etc.) or an authorized dealer of it. Since you simply said "Chinese Dealer" I'm going to assume it wasn't an authorized dealer.

If you have service with Verizon and everything is legal, you should have something called a "15 Day Return Policy" where for 15 days after activation you can return the phone and cancel the contract without paying the $175 cancellation fee. Or you can simply get a new phone from them. I suggest you call them ASAP, before this deadline is up, and to make sure whomever you bought the phone from is doing good business. Chinese or not, everyone cheats.

P.S. -- The VX1 is a horrible phone, period. I sent it back myself. Verizon knows it has countless problems that most users of it don't see, and they've taken the phone off its market and are soon to replace it with the improved VX-10 as well as other new, more remarkable phones. The VX-10 is identical except for the few changes on the exterior and many changes on the interior. If you have a VX1, anybody, and are still in that 15 day grace period, I suggest you send the phone back. If you aren't having problems now, you will soon. I am willing to bet there is a slew of other things that they know about that we don't.

3. zippy73

zippy73 Member

Hello there Anonymous,

You said you've had your account for 3 years. Did you have the LG 510 for most of those years? I just got it and am disappointed with it because I can hear noises in the background when it's in use. (I've mentioned this before in another post, it sounds like when you turn up your stereo really loud during a silent moment and you can hear all the "fuzzy" noises in the background.) I've had some people mention that they think it's the phone. I've ordered another one but what should I do if it does the same thing? The VX-1 was my alternative but you've changed my mind. Do you have any other phone recommendations?

Also, when I get an answering machine on the Verizon connection, the beep sounds distorted. It doesn't sound like a normal beep. When I use my AT&T service, the answering machine's beep sounds the way it should. What gives? Have you noticed this? It's not my phone because I tested it on a Nokia 3285 with Verizon connection and it gave me the same distorted sound. ( I live in the Castro Valley/San Leandro area of Califonia.) I know Verizon is bigger than AT&T but I'm kinda disappointed with them so far. Thanks for the advice.

4. CoreyTheGent

CoreyTheGent Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Silver V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I am the Anonymous person you were referring to, Zippy. I just wasn't logged in at the time.

I can tell you that the LG-TM510 isn't a PERFECT phone. One of the reasons you can hear those sounds is because of the microphone's placement. If you look at the bottom of the front of the phone whether it's opened or closed, you can see the small hole directly in the middle. Either the placement or just the overall way it was made allows extra sounds to escape in.

Now that I think about it, I've actually had Verizon for 4 years. My first phone was the BAM 330 I believe it was called, a candybar phone with a little flip to cover the keys. I loved it, got it from Radio Shack for one cent with the activation. I lost that phone, then got a worse phone: the Audiovox CDM-9000. It was okay for a while, but I become tired of style-less phones quick, and as soon as I saw that LG-TM510 on the Verizon website I fell in love with it. I had never seen a phone that flipped open and closed, soon finding out it was called a "clamshell" since the StarTac. Even then, there was no outside caller ID display. It was $200 and I got it two years ago.

I love this phone because it lasted so long, but I hate it for other reasons. Right from the start I will tell you I only have it because I am waiting for Verizon to get some new phones that're coming out soon. Otherwise it would be gone. Some problems you will have Zippy are that phone call distortion, but the biggest one for me was that silver "Verizon" piece on the front. It looks nice now but soon it will become eroded and change colors, like a cheap piece of jewelry. The phone doesn't look so pretty then.

The menu and display overall are really out-dated. Just boring, basically. No games, no animations or anything. But two years ago, this phone was at the top of its class.

I just now noticed that beep thing when I called my Voicemail. I don't believe it beeps at all, I think that's the sound of you hanging up when you're done recording the answer message. For some reason it picks that up. I could be wrong, and it could be a messed up beeping noise, but I doubt it.

That LG-TM510 was good two years ago, but for someone like you who just bought it? I suggest you send it back before that 15 day return policy is up. If it's not up, go back to your old phone and continue to go month to month, or just cancel your contract altogether. Why? Because Verizon has a load of new phones coming out that are much more worth your money.

The first two I know of are the Samsung SCH-A310 and the Motorola T720. I am waiting for them and more before I make my next purchase, and I just did a mini-essay on what I feel about these new Verizon phones with a lot more info for you. Under the "Navigation" menu near the top of this window, go to "Samsung" phones. My post, under "CoreyTheGent" should be at the top titled "A Good Word on A310." I've got a day off today and am highly bored, can't you tell?

Overall, send that TM-510 back if you can. And if you really dislike Verizon, maybe check out the Sprint PCS Vision service. I wouldn't make the choice now, though, because Verizon is about to make some big moves as I said in my other post. Maybe even some extra services we don't know about yet. If the Wireless industry does one thing well, it is keep secrets and have you asking yourself "Why didn't they tell me that earlier?"

5. zippy73

zippy73 Member

Hi Corey,

Thanks for the info. I'll go check out the other posting. The answering machine beep that I was refering to was not my own voicemail. I was talking about placing a call to someone and getting their answering machine. You are supposed to talk after the beep but the beep sounds distorted. It was a strange thing that I noticed only the Verizon phones did. No big deal, just curious why it sounded like that. With AT&T, it sounded like a normal beep.
    Thanks again.

6. CoreyTheGent

My Phone:
    Silver V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yes, with all voicemails on Verizon I think it sounds the same, including yours and mine. I believe it's not meant to be a beep. In order to record your voice message, you go through the selections in your mailbox, say the message through the phone and hit a number to end the recording and save it. I think when you hit that number, you record the sound of it in the process, and it's heard whenever you or someone else calls your voicemail.

And no problem. It's what I'm here for. [​IMG]

7. zippy73

zippy73 Member

I think you've misunderstood. I was not talking about entering my own voicemail. When I mentioned the distorted beep, I was talking about placing a call to a landline's answering machine. That was the beep I was refering to. [​IMG]

8. CoreyTheGent

My Phone:
    Silver V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

There is an option on the VX1 to turn off "Audio AGC" (Auto Gain Control); this is what's causing all of your statics and lack of clarity. I bought this phone last week and was wondering also why my calls all sounded worse than my old StarTac. Disable Audio AGC, and you will hear much better [​IMG]