Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

LG love/hate.

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by mmmmna, Jun 10, 2009.

1. mmmmna

mmmmna Junior Member

My Phone:
    Droid X2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    This week was my time to upgrade my Verizon Wireless phone.

I haven't had bad service, just bad phones and I had some issues with the software which Verizon puts into the phones, so I decided 2 more years wasn't a bad idea, provided the software has improved somewhat. I also wanted a phone that responded quicker than the original enV VX9900 that I have been using.

I went to a Verizon Wireless corporate store in Rochester NH and I tested 4 LG phones:
    - enV 3,
    - Dare
    - Versa
    - enV Touch

My wife has (well, I should say she HAD) the Voyager Titanium.

The bigger issues for me were the keyboards: how quickly the phones responded to my input, the presence of an outside keypad, and what was offered for the 'qwerty' keyboard. The camera factored in as well.

- enV 3 lost my interest out mostly because of the response speed, the remainder of the disinterest was because of the outside keyboard.

Response speed: The enV 3 really is considerably faster in response time compared to the response time of the original enV I will leave behind. What do I mean by response time? You know, you press a button, and you have to wait before the next screen loads. Deleting 40 text messages took close to 2 seconds on the original enV. The enV 3 responds noticeably faster, but was not really a rocket when I compared the enV 3 to the remaining LGs that I tested.

Why did I reject the enV 3 external keyboard?
    I decided in the store that I liked having a touch interface more than the buttons on the outside of the original enV, and these buttons are also on the enV 2 and the enV 3. This dislike was mostly for the reason that the outside buttons of my original enV phone were always a concern when I had the original enV in my belt holster: I had a few times when the original enV managed to get unlocked while it was in my belt holster (and then it speed dialed) and the problem of the original enV unlocking itself was much much worse before I changed away from a magnet latched belt holster to go to a zipper based closure. The original enV was sensitive to the magnet in the belt holster closure latch! How do I think a touch screen make a difference? The touchscreen taking the place of the buttons on the outside appears to be a great way to answer the problem where those outside 'buttons get pushed' because you have to slide along the touch screen to activate it.... I don't think anything will be sliding along the touch screen when the phone is in my belt holster. Time will tell. In any event, since I preferred using the inside 'qwerty' keyboard for texting on the original VX9900 original enV, I did not use the outside buttons for very much at all, so right away I saw that the outside buttons were almost useless and they had, in fact, actually proven to be more of a nuisance, so why would I bother getting yet another external button phone?

-Dare lost my interest because of response speed, and the lack of a real 'qwerty' keyboard.

Response speed: slightly slower than the enV 3, in my brief testing, but still faster than the original enV. The Dare seems to be an early LG touchscreen (I'm guessing here), and my experiences with early versions of electronic devices have shown that later versions were created using faster systems because customers told the designers to make things faster than the original version. I believe I am looking at the earliest of the current batch of LG touchscreens, but in any event, the Dare is slower.

Also, the Dare uses the touch screen to create a virtual (or touch) version of a qwerty keyboard. 2 members of my family have just begun with the new Blackberry Storm, one user hated the virtual keyboard on the Storm, the other said it takes getting used to. While the LG phones I tested probably have zero in common with a Blackberry Storm, I'm not fond of designs that barely address a need, or even fail miserably. The original enV that I upgraded from was a barely capable attempt.

-Versa lost my interest for the 2.0 megapixel camera, for the virtual keyboard on the touchscreen, and for the wimpy REAL keypad which seemed like an after thought.

The Versa camera is the same resolution as my original enV, the original enV seems to take pictures that are chromatically blurred (odd color ghosts), I feared the Versa camera photos would look the same as the ones from the original enV by way of POSSIBLY using the same camera system (I can't tell until I see the pictures on my computer monitor, and the monitor is not the problem). I figure that if I'm purchasing a camera inside a cellphone, I'll definitely want to use it in place of a normal digicam, so there is no excuse for paying for any bad camera: if you put it there, it better be good because my money should not be buying poor designs.

The real Versa keyboard is thin and not very substantial - I'm a kind of rough guy.... And I could misplace the regular back cover since it is detachable.

-enV Touch stole the show, for me.

Faster than all of the LG phones I tested, the enV Touch has a 3.2 megapixel camera, has a real 'qwerty' keyboard inside the case AND offers a virtual keyboard on the outside, it has a LARGE screen outside and the inner screen is a bit larger than the original enV had inside. After the sale, I discover the camera can do panoramic modes AND can stitch the individual shots together.

As I reviewed the phones, my wife fell in love with the enV Touch as well..... she upgraded her phone at the same time I upgraded mine, but she had the Voyager Titanium and loved it.

FWIW, I have already posted here about NOT liking the LG brand - I started with the LG VX8300 and left it because it sounded poor and it felt very flimsy, from there I went to the original enV VX9900 which felt substantial and was a significantly different phone than I was accustomed to using. I posted after I came to hating the original enV failures (14 failed original enVs in a family of 4 within the first year). From there, I had pretty much decided that LG stood for "Lousy Garbage" and I've posted as much. The biggest reasons why I have changed from not wanting another LG phone is 2 part: first, a non corporate Verizon retailer told me he had never seen a worse phone made by LG than the original enV, Second, my family gravitated away from the original enV to the enV 2 and the Voyager Titanium and their problems stopped.

My current original enV was from August 2008, and I think it has lived the longest of all the enVs our family had. That said, I had to try and believe I had seen the worst that LG had to offer, and that there was a reason why Verizon Wireless keeps adding more LG phones.

Hoping for the best :confused: and hoping my 2 cents offers some reader some insights for their next upgrade.

2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I had a similar experience with SaMSUNG phones as well... I moved from a a930 to a Q to a Pearl and I am back with the samsung glyde. Despite the overly negative reviews, it looks like i didnt get a dud... hopefully the glyde will do its job until next upgrade... The pda phones i had were nice but i got tired of the glitchy q and the expensive pearl... Good luck with your lg... I wanted one but they were overpriced and i wanted to ditch the blackberry!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mmmmna

mmmmna Junior Member

My Phone:
    Droid X2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Well, I now have another 2 points to add about to LG skepticism.

My enV Touch VX11000 can barely get one day on a full battery charge.
    The fault here lies in the battery capacity: The VX11000 offers only 950 mAh.

My former VX9900 original enV has the same battery rating, 950 mAh, and it often lasted over 3 days, although I had several of them and had one battery for that model lasted as short as 2 days.

Why is this battery not lasting? The 2 display screens on the VX11000 enV Touch are at least 40% larger compared to the VX9900. Also, I'm not certain if these are the same technology (LCD or OLED), so maybe a technology change is part of the cause for the VX11000 eating it's battery, but the result of whatever difference is VERY clear: this VX11000 enV Touch might not make a good choice if the user CANNOT get it charged EVERY day. And it might not make it that far, from my early experience.

Which brings up another IMPORTANT point.

Because there is a new standard for charging cellphones, the new cellphones are using standard USB power to charge the cellphone battery.

My VX11000 enV Touch came from LG with the following charging items:
    - an AC adapter which has no cord, it only has a USB connector.
    - a USB cable (LG part number DLC100).

It is clear that we are expected to connect the USB cable to the AC adapter, and connect that cable to the cellphone. And that IS how the cellphone is charged. All that, so far, is NOT the problem.

The problem comes when you realize that the phone isn't going to last the whole day. You decide to charge it using the automobile USB charger that you can get from MANY locations, both online and brick & mortar.

Umm, you don't want to carry with you the USB cable from the home charger.

Being as you are an intelligent person, you drive to your Verizon Wireless corporate store (or any of the aftermarket support companies that support wireless devices); when you get there, you ask them for a cable for the VX11000 enV Touch. They say: "What do you want to do with the cable?", you say 'charge the phone'. A few clicks on their computer and they say: "Ah yes, be right back". As they walk away, you catch their attention: "Get 2 of the cables, my wife has the same phone". They come back, you check the connectors are the right shape, you purchase the 2 cables (OUCH! $15 EACH??), and you head to your car.

If you were me, in your car is your aftermarket USB charger which charges your MP3 player. You open the package of your new cable, you unbundle the cable, you pull the tape off the A end of your new cable, and you plug things in.

In ten seconds, you are fuming mad. Your cellphone battery indicator shows a charging condition, that isn't the problem. Your cellphone pops up a message, and this is where the problem lies. The message reads something like this: "The cable which is connected to this phone is not the correct cable. Please disconnect and use the proper cable".

Sure glad I didn't drive away, I have to go back in.

Verizon Wireless argued about my situation: "These are the only cable we list, they should work fine"; but after I talked to the manager, they took the cables back and issued full credit. I told them: "I've spent almost 25 years in Electronic Engineering and I don't know if these cables might void my warranty, this phone is 3 days old. Since the manufacturers cable doesn't give me any error message when I use the same USB charger in my car, these cables which you are selling are clearly different and the cellphone knows how to detect it. That means in the next few months, as the VX11000 enV Touch continues its roll out, Verizon will have millions of potential returns of these cables or the phones, so you'll want to get this information pushed back up the command channels as soon as possible - these phones WILL show an error with the cables you are selling". They respond: "I'm sure these are the correct cables, they are the only ones we list for the phone" and again you respond: "The phone sees them as different and displays an error. Someone needs to know this, your call."

Boy, did these people look at me funny!

#3 mmmmna, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  4. mmmmna

mmmmna Junior Member

My Phone:
    Droid X2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Last December or so, I stopped into the local Verizon Wireless corporate store, and I pretty much concluded that the Samsung Glyde would be my next phone. this was based on my stepdaughter having zero problems with her Samsung Juke (if you look at the Juke, you might see that the swivel might be the first thing to fail, but she has had zero problems).

When I went in last week to renew, the store did not have the Glyde, so I had to choose from the phones they had in stock.