Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

LG Losing Credibility

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by KevinJames, Oct 26, 2001.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I recently learned, much to my disappointment, that the release of the LG TM520 has been delayed until sometime (unspecified) in November. If this were an isolated case, I would be more than willing to be understanding. Every company has delays and hiccups. But when considered against the backdrop of other undelivered products, there seems to be a trend that consumers don’t appreciate. LG had promised the connectivity software for the TM510 for quite some time and, to-date, has never delivered. From posts I’ve read they also promised the same software for another one of their phones that also proved to be vaporware.

I understand that many circumstances outside the control of the company may be affecting their ability to deliver, but they are also affecting the customers that trusted them. If LG is concerned about its reputation, perhaps they should not promise things in the first place until they actually have a firm date. Right now, their promises seem to be more of a carrot-on-a-stick (held in front of a dumb animal to get it to go where you want) than a commitment to quality. The various (though minor) flaws in the TM510 demonstrate that “quality” hasn’t prevented them from releasing products in the past.

Personally, if they fail to make the new November delivery date of the TM520, I will conclude that they are a company that cannot be trusted to meet their commitments.

Kevin

2. Tony

Tony Junior Member

I know this won't affect you Kevin but Verizon's 2.5G network will launch around Dallas before the new year.

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Tony,

Any idea on the timeline for 2.5 in northern Calif.?

kev

4. knupla2

knupla2 New Member

Interesting post. I own a 510, as does a friend. We have no complaints about quality. We both have a *minor* complaint - his, stronger than mine - about the lack of promised software. That being said, he tested some beta they had and found it was not ready for prime time. The beta was on the LG site for a while and they ultimately pulled it - from what he tells me. That tells me they are indeed working on it and have plans to follow through with it. I think it's important to recognize this phone hasn't been around that long - April 2001 is when it first started hitting the market - and that the developer is not planning on releasing software that is bug ridden - ala, Microsoft.

Personally, I really want that software - but I'd rather wait until it's ready and stable before I start to trust it with my data. In the meantime, I have it keyed in and it's working fine.

This is a far better phone than the Nokia's or StarTac's I have tried and in the case of the StarTac, still have. Call to Call comparisions to the same client say the 510 wins hands down - everytime.

It's a good phone.

Steve