Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

NORTHEAST U.S. -- Leaving Verizon for T-Mobile? Considering..

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by comptalk, Feb 22, 2009.

1. comptalk

comptalk New Member

I was considering leaving Verizon to go to T-Mobile. Anyone know if T-Mobile is as good as Verizon in the New York area (outside the city of New York). I would also like to leave before my contract expires in six months. Anyone know of a way to do so without paying for the contract termination fee?

Thanks all.

2. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Depends on where you are. T-mobile has pretty decent coverage in Upstate NY when your in the big cities (Buf, Roc, 'Cuse, etc.) and on the interstates (though the northway is still an issue for all carriers.) As you get outside of the cities, then your going to run into huge coverage gaps with T-Mobile. Verizon is the king when it comes to reception in the Upstate NY area hands down.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. comptalk

comptalk New Member

I found a way to circumvent the situation. I am staying with VZW for the time being.

4. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Regarding what you mentioned about leaving your carrier early, you'll have a rough time getting out your contract without an ETF. Unless you lie, you're stuck. Even then, there's no guarantee.

Since you have only 6 months left on your contract, just wait it out. Keep in mind the carriers have decreasing ETF's based on the number of months into your contract you're in at the time of cancellation (prior to contract expiring).

Since you mentioned you're staying with Verizon, this information may be moot, but if you end up deciding to leave early anyway, just understand what you're getting into.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. comptalk

comptalk New Member

No doubt. My phone broke and the replacement is not working very well. Wanted to buy a new one from them. ANY NEW ONE. They would not bend the rules and let me buy one at a discounted price. I found one on eBay. It is a Verizon cell, so I do not presume there will be a problem activating it on my account. After my contract expires, I am switching month to month so they will not have their hands on my nuts; so to speak.

6. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Have Verizon check the ESN number to make sure it's not blacklisted. If it is you won't be able to activate it. This is the one big issue when buying CDMA phones off eBay.

7. comptalk

comptalk New Member

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

8. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Why not go to the store manager, not the service manager and ask for a refurbished phone for $50.00 with no contract extension.

9. comptalk

comptalk New Member

Asked if I could do that, they said it would make no difference. They would not exchange the phone for me until October 2009 unless I paid the retail price. This may be better though. No more contracts after October and I could leave whenever I want.

10. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    That is interesting. That is a almost standing Verizon policy since your are in contract, to offer a $50.00 refurb. Not to just exchange. I have done it several times over the years so have many others. You need the right manager. Again not the service manager. Good luck in what ever you do in this regard.

11. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Jerro's right....just gotta be the sqeeky wheel.... =p