Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Larry if you are out there....

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Calador, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Calador

Calador New Member

How would I update my PRL on a sprint phone. My boss's phone has not been updated since he has had it and I know they have added roaming agreements etc in that time. The phone is a Samsung 8500

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes it should be updated about twice a year at least. Two ways to do it. Take the phone into a Sprint store and they can do it while you wait or just by calling *2 and asking claire for a "PRL update". You then will be transferred to a live rep and tell them you want to have your phone "flagged" for an over the air PRL update. Once they set it up they will tell you to call *2 again in about 10 minutes and select 1 for english and then the update should take place in less than a minute or two. It will tell you when it's been completed. On rare occassions you will need to repeat the process if it doesn't work the first time. Make sure you view the PRL in your phone to make sure it worked. Current PRL is 10015.

3. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

How do you check the PRL, do I have to press 6 ones and then press ok. I really don't know what to do.

4. Calador

Calador New Member

Thanx Larry I tried it and it it says it updated but I don't know how to check the PRL on this particular phone. My boss is gonna try the phone tonight and let me know if it works better. I don't think it has been updated in over a year and a half.

5. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

on the 8500 goto

setup/tools

then Display

then to Version

the SPR DBDM:

is your prl.

6. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    On the Kyocera 2255 you do press six ones and then ok to check PRL and software.

7. IdiOTeQnoLogY

also on the 8500 you can press

Menu 8 2 4

and it will take you to the Version

also I replied to your other post Calador.....take the 8500 into the store and get a software upgrade it should help

8. Calador

Calador New Member

Thank you Ideoteqnology, I'll tell him to take it in to the store. I was just testin the phone to see if it was as good as my verizon Timeport p8767, and it wasn't. Not to say the service was bad but the phone seemed kinda cheap to me. Mebe I'm just not used to a samsung every cell phone I have had is a motorola. My GF on the other hand loves Nokias.

9. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    motorolas are good phones. Sprint does not currently sell motorola but they did have a version of your phone for sprint

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Keep in mind that the signal strength meters will vary by each manufacturer. They all have their own ideas on what constitutes a bar. Some phones show the gross signal strength while others show the actual useable signal strength.

11. IdiOTeQnoLogY

strange. one thing i liked about the 8500 was that it felt like a well built phone. i dropped a few times and it was tough.

hey larry some good news. ive heard that new users of samsungs are reporting good signal holding ability....several users of the a400 who upgraded from the 8500 seem to concur with this. hopefully samsung fixed the problem.

12. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes and the Samsung N200 is said to be better than the SCH-3500 it replaced.

13. Calador

Calador New Member

Just to update, another coworker of mine has the exact same phone and I watched it for a couple of hours. It does not display this bouncing effect. This particular phone is 4 months newer. Perhaps it has the newer software. And as for my opinion of the phone it's all soo subjective. I'm just used to motorolas, I have always had a motorola. While my GF hates my phone and wants only Nokias. If I switch from the big V I will definately try for a phone like the nokia 3360. I always hit the danged antenna on my Timeport. I figure with an antennaless phone I wont have to worry about bending the bugger.

14. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    There needs to be more antennaless phones for the verizon/alltel/sprint/quest and any other cdma network

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...