Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop With No OS

Discussion in 'The Roaming Zone' started by palandri, Sep 1, 2017.

1. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Nexus 6P
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    My old AMD Samsung laptop was starting to get pretty slow with Windows 10, so I started looking for a new laptop.

While I was looking at laptops at NewEgg, I stumbled upon an older, refurbished Lenovo laptop with no OS. What intrigued me was it had an Intel I5 CPU, and a pretty decent price. Even though it was an older I5, I knew it was a pretty decent and powerful CPU. I started googling for information on it and I found the same laptop at Amazon with a lot of reviews. I noted a few people said with it was a real decent laptop with a solid state hard drive, so I bought one to install so I could play with it.

I bought an inexpensive 200GB solid state hard drive for it. When it arrived I installed the solid state hard drive and checked the RAM and discovered it only had a 2GB strip of RAM, not 4GB as advertised, so I upgraded it to 8GB of RAM.

I installed LinuxMint on it to see how it would run and I was amazed. Everything is almost instantaneous with the solid state drive. I was thinking of installing Windows 10 on it, but I am not going to bother now since Linux runs so well on it.

It's really a decent laptop. It's kind of heavy, but the performance with a solid state hard drive is really nice. Here's a link to the one I bought at NewEgg $222.00:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAANW6083116

#1 palandri, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    charlyee and dmapr like this.