Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Laptop using Cell Phone as Modem

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by GladNomad, Sep 26, 2006.

1. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    i have very limited experice, but wlan is better for me. 11mbps or 54mbps both are very good.
    when i theter with my lg cu500 i get 115kbps, which in good enough for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    WG, that's because you are using EDGE, it will be much faster when UMTS gets to your corner of the world.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    It's apples to oranges, IMO. The handset tethered as a modem is ideal when Wifi isn't available or the time and requirement for use doesn't warrant the $9/hr charges.

4. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    i agree, 100 percent, :wink:

5. mr5racing

mr5racing New Member

i have verizon with cdma phone v60s motorola with mobile office kit and go on the internet for free at speeds of 28.8k which is slow but for what i use it for its fine. i upgraded to the lg8300 phone which is an EV-DO phone. when i got the new office kit and tried to hook up i was asked for a password. when i called verizon they told me i had to pay now 59.99 for the plan. i told them i had the slow free set up and they told me with the EVDO phones high speed is the only thing offered and if they didnt charge for it, you would be able to access it free with the mobile office kit. i need a password to get on. so i went backwards to my old phone set up so i can stay online what a shame. get a non EVDO phone and you can go on mobile office all you want for free at 28.8k. anyone else have any other suggestions let me know.

6. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    Since this thread has been resurrected....

Here are my speeds with my Blackjack in a 3G (HSDPA) area tethered via bluetooth:
    [​IMG]

7. patchas

patchas New Member

I recently became a Verizon customer and have a LG5300-non EVDO phone. The Verizon folks told me that the option to use an office kit and use minutes to connect to the internet at slow speeds is no longer available. Is this true?

8. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I don't know about Verizon specifically, but many carriers have stopped doing that, and the ones that still allow it limit the data speeds to the point that a 56k dial up connection is much faster.

-Jay

9. mr5racing

mr5racing New Member

10. mr5racing

mr5racing New Member

i agree, my speed is nothing to brag about but when you use this service for everything but downloads it runs at 28.8. you get the mobile office kit then go to venturiwireless.com to upgrade the speed from 14.4 to 28.8k which is fine for me on the road.

11. r21gloria3

r21gloria3 New Member

Hello there...I'm in the market, and researching my next phone/data connection. I am in the infant stage, and see that there are a lot of vocabulary new to me, like the speed technology lingo (W-CDMA, EV DO, GPRS, Edge, 1xRTT, NETWORK'S BACKHAUL, UMTS/HSDPA, ETC.

I am very limited and need a lot of encouragement, but open-minded and easily learn new things.

I want to make a very techologically informed decision next time around, cause when I commit to 2 years of contract, get a phone and pay $100 plus every month, I need to know every aspect of my service and tech ability of the hardware/software.

I hope I can learn in a short time, cause I need to get a new phone pretty quickly.

I have just purchased a laptop, a Sony Vaio with Vista Home Premium pre-installed.

I am weighing options about taking the laptop with me when I am over-the-road for Internet surfing and research, as I do this a lot, and it takes a very long time to do it well....so I am wondering what is the best method to connect....with or without the use of the phone...if I should just get a basic phone or a PDA with Internet access....whether I should connect to the Internet with the phone plan or buy a separate plan with PC card.

For me, it's all a big jumble of information right now....I need and request some other person's experience for me to be able to make an informed decision...I want to make the right one! It's a lot of money that I do not really have right now, so it's a gamble, and I'm not the gambling type, so to speak.

I hope this forum will be able to help me along, and I am happy to have run across it before jumping into new contracts.

Thanks in advance everyone.

r21gloria3 :)

12. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Probably your best bet would be a PC card. I would recommend either Cingular or Sprint, depending on who has better coverage where you live.

-Jay

13. mr5racing

mr5racing New Member

Here are 3 of the options, theyre are more.

1. the to use a pc card you are going to have to pay around 60 a month.
    2. use your new evdo cell phone as a modem with mobile office kit and broadband service will let you use your laptop and a pda for around 60 a month also.
    3. use an older cell phone non evdo phone with mobile office kit. google what that is if you dont know. its for broadband service only. the non evdo phone and a mobile office kit will allow you slow free access to the internet. half the speed of dial up but free until they discontinue it. the mobile office kit is a one time price of $40 or less. just google your options and read.

14. patchas

patchas New Member

I just bought an office kit for an LG5300 on ebay for $15 +$7 shipping and it works just fine using the UBS connection. How long? Who knows? I can't seem to get the blue tooth connection to work but am still playing with it.

15. stufried

stufried New Member

I prefer to use a data cable (such as the mini-sync cables from boxwave.com) and tether my phone. Wireless data takes a toll on a phone's battery. With a USB sync cable, the laptop is recharging the battery as you go. Once you've got it down, I think you can connect faster via cable than by bluetooth, particularly if you normally leave your Bluetooth on the phone turned off.

16. TehJoE234797

TehJoE234797 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung D807
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/at&t
  17. edoc

edoc New Member

I own a WRT54G and would like to validate an idea ...

If I connect to the Internet via my Motorola e815 cellphone and then
    tie the cellphone to my laptop via the USB cable can I hang my WRT54G
    off the RJ45 10/100 connector on the laptop and share access with our
    other laptop?

While I would prefer to do all of this under Linux (and there are some
    efforts to make that happen elsewhere, e.g.
    Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Motorola e815 cellphone works as Linux (ubuntu) Modem )
    I am willing to make it happen under the MS version of windows called XP.

Is there any reason this would not work, please?

Anyone done it and have the process spelled out?

Thanks! doc

18. edoc

edoc New Member

Re: Laptop using Cell Phone as Modem - SOLVED

*We have found the solution!*

The essential elements of the solution are here:
    Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) With All Things Windows

We will be posting the detailed steps for making this work on WinXP computers
    with a cellphone instead of a dialup modem July 15th, 2007 here:
    >KD4E AMATEUR RADIO RESOURCES<

We used a WinXP laptop as the server and then connected another WinXP laptop,
    a Puppy Linux laptop, and a Puppy Linux desktop. They all ran well with no discernible
    difference from Verizon DSL.

We are also hoping to get this working, cellphone connection to the Internet and
    networking that connection, under Linux.

Hope this helps others!

doc

19. Jackmiles2006

Jackmiles2006 New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Curve 8330
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    you can buy a blackberry and use te usb cable with the laptop from VZW

20. MisterBill

MisterBill New Member

So what is the current status of this? I've got my VX5300 working as a modem with a data cable. Will I still only be charged for minutes since it's non-EVDO? I need to use it on vacation for the next couple of weeks.

Thanks..

21. mmmmna

mmmmna Junior Member

My Phone:
    Droid X2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    FWIW, I see a lot of software needs Windows XP, so if the person who started the thread is still running Windows 98, I'd be worried about XP drivers not being compatible with 98.

22. stufried

stufried New Member