Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Laptop using Cell Phone as Modem

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by GladNomad, Sep 26, 2006.

1. GladNomad

GladNomad New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX5200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hi,
    I’m a full-time RV’er and have a family plan service with Verizon. I am interested in surfing the net using my cell phone (LGVX5200) for connection (already have a booster!). My old Dell Latitude LM laptop has Windows 98, 40Mb Ram, 3.02GB hard drive with Pentium® processor.

I’m looking to use my FREE cell phone minutes from the plan, after 2100 and weekends/nights.

I’ve searched the Verizon website, they offer a Mobile Office Kit for $39.99, plus you have to purchase the National Access Data Plan for $59.99, in addition to our current charge of $79.99 (plus tax) for the Family Plan. It’s expensive! I’d like to find a cheaper alternate, with your help!

On web, I found the USB data cable and/or serial port cable, the DC car adapter, and free internet access via www.simple.net. What else do I need?

Question – will I get charged for data calls?
    Do I need software to make this happen?

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    The carriers don't let you do the minutes for data thing anymore. You will need some software probably, and you will get charged for data. If you had Cingular service, and a Motorola phone I could give you the Windows dial up networking settings so you didn't need the software, but I just don't know how to make that work with Verizon.

-jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    You can access QNC through Verizon while just using your minutes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    My Blackberry 8700 works as an EDGE modem for my laptop, and is done via bluetooth, so I can leave it on my hip (this is great in the airport, no more WiFi needed). Cingular has a plan call Tethered Blackberry Unlimited that costs $79 instead of $49 a month and gives me the normal unlimited BB/SMS/MMS and web data plus unlimited tethered usage. No usage charges anymore.

5. ringmyrazr

ringmyrazr New Member

My Phone:
    Razr V3I
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Save your time and money. Just get a wifi adapter for your laptop and camp at campgrounds that provide free or cheep wifi access. Data plans with verizon is 70 bucks a month and there slow as s__t. Most campgrounds provide free wifi or a fee of 3 or 4 dollars a day for access.

Ringer,

6. xenophon

xenophon Member

Sprint is cheaper at $40/month to do laptop/phone connections. But with both Sprint and Verizon, you can't use data while on a phone call.

Could also get a separate laptop card for $60/month so that it doesn't tie up the phone. For multiple laptops, you could use a WiFi router that takes a laptop card, such as Kyocera KR1.

More here...
    http://www.evdoforums.com/thread1235.html

7. ringmyrazr

ringmyrazr New Member

My Phone:
    Razr V3I
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    I have a cingular sierra aircard 860 (wireless Modem) for sale. All you need is a sim card and an account with cingular. PM me if interested.

Ringer,

8. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    You'll probably get a better response posting this in the for sale forum...

9. Bugwart

Bugwart Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung SCH i760,
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SKT, Verizon, China Mobile, EPlus
    If you stay in RV parks, then WiFi is the way to go. It is generally faster than cell phone options, and it is available free in many places.

None of the cellular carriers have high speed wireless everywhere in the country. Depending on where you are going, you may not find much cellular service if you venture into remote rural areas. (For example parts of WY, MT, CA's coastal mountains)

10. Civaus

Civaus New Member

Wirles.

Can you give me directions or point me to where I can find "working" directions on how to use my BB as a GPRS modem? I have an 8700c and Cingular service. I have read numerous forums that claim to work, but in the end do not, I even contacted Cingular's support about configuring this and they were of no help. I travel often and it is a pain to have to pay $14 for an hour of internet service on a layover.

11. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    After a couple of minutes searching I found this, I hope it helps you out.

-Jay

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blackberry-guides/2019-user-howto-use-blackberry-modem-laptop.html

12. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    Thanks, Jay. I have been busy and not been on the board much. That is the link I would have provided.

13. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I guarantee you won't like using dialup when tethering. It's so slow, you'll forget what you were doing before the next page loads. You need at least an EDGE type of connection to get some slow but usable browsing. However, at least a 3G data connection is the recommended minimum for some decent speed.

14. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    That's what we are talking about...EDGE. The Blackberry 8700 operates as a modem on the EDGE network and I have benchmarked speeds around 150k up/down :cool:

15. Bugwart

My Phone:
    Samsung SCH i760,
    Wireless Provider(s):
    150kbps Up and Down. If I were you, I would check my bench marks. Try using something like DSL Reports which uses non-compressible files. The reason that I say this is the EDGE is not symetric (neither is GPRS, HSDPA or EVDO) thus you would not expect to see the same rates both up and down.

16. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    If I remember correctly last time I benchmarked an internet speed test I was using my V551 (EDGE) and I think it was 60 up and 120 down.

-Jay

17. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    I should clarify...that is my max average experience for each at different times. Everyday averages are more like 140 down and 80/90 up for me.

18. Civaus

Civaus New Member

When I try to follow the directions @ http://www.blackberryforums.com/blackberry-guides/2019-user-howto-use-blackberry-modem-laptop.html

I get to step 7 and when I query the modem, I get an error stating that the device is currently in use by another application. I am a fairly advanced Windows user and I am not aware of any applications using my modem. However, I have stopped many services that I had previously deemed as unnecessary (which may be my issue), Telephony is running though. Also if I go into the Blackberry Device Manager's Properties, I do not see a standard modem entry (COM 4 for me) as a device connection.... should it show up here? or only as the USB connection?

Can anyone tell me the required services and if the standard modem needs to show up in the BB device manager?

Thanks in advance ...

19. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I have maxed out at around 150kbps on EDGE downloading, and about 50kbps uploading. But on average, it goes around 90kbps down, 30kbps up. GPRS maxes out around 55kbps down, 25kbps up.

However, the problem with EDGE is not so much the speed, but the latency. Because of the latency, a 100kbps connection on EDGE feels a lot slower in a computer than an plain old-school 56K dialup modem on an analog telephone line which maxes around 50kbps. This is why 3G is the only decent option for computer/laptop internet use as the latency is much shorter.

Even EVDO is not as good as HSDPA in terms of latency, so normally it feels faster, but EVDO Rev. A is supposed to fix that.

20. Bugwart

My Phone:
    Samsung SCH i760,
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I agree that HSDPA and EV-DO Rev A should work well. They are both far better than the 2G or 2.5G options, however I still say that WiFi is the way to go these days.

I often tether my Dell Latitude to my Moto Q via Bluetooth. Frequently, I have excellent results with EV-DO, however when I am in a high usage area the connection suffers. When I am in a none-EV-DO area (like the Central Coast) 1xRTT works OK, if I am only downloading text files to outlook, but graphics files are slooooooow.

I use WiFi whenever I can because the speed is faster and the latency is better. I have been away from home for most of the past 7 months. I have been in more than 21 states, 17 airports and 3 countries in Asia. Except for a few of the airports and Arkansas, I have had numerous WiFi connections in restaurants, coffee shops, hotels, libraries, and shopping malls. Some of the hotels had LAN connections rather than WiFi. Sometimes the WiFi connection suffers from overuse (like my rep's office in Shanghai), but normally the speed is faster and the latency is lower than I get with tethering.

21. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I've had the same experience that you've had, I worked for a contractor of Georiga Power for 7 months starting in March of this year, I was out of state Monday - Friday every week, we stayed at various motels/hotels in various areas of the state. I have to honestly say, I've only stayed at one motel that didn't offer a decent network connection, it was what I consider a roachtel though. Having used Edge while travelling down I-75/I-85, in various parts of the middle of nowhere (field laptop access) and at various diners which didn't offer Wi-Fi access (even this is starting to become rare with the middle class eating establishments,) I can honestly say that area's where there is congestion on the Cell towers are noticeably worse.

It's scary to see how connected of a society we've become, I personally am an addict, I can't stand to not be online when I'm on my pc or when I'm in lazy downtime (that's why I have a pda so I can stay connected) yeah I should get help :p

22. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    I am often in places where there is no WiFi or I dont have access to it (proprietary/secure network). That is why my tethered EDGE connection is important to me. It is for slight more than Blackberry functionality with my Outlook or Firefox.

I agree that WiFi is a better connection, but I don't think it was ever challenged in terms of speed/performance.

23. Bugwart

My Phone:
    Samsung SCH i760,
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I've been to similar places. Even some of these places have broadband.

24. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Even if they don't, if you're on a large ISP, such as Verizon, Comcast etc, they usually have some sort of Travelling dialup number.

25. gubak

gubak Junior Member

It's very expensive, so I think you won't find better prices than this!

26. gubak

gubak Junior Member

You can easily set your phone+laptop to use internet, I did it too, but every time I've used internet in this way I had a big problem with speed. The speed is very unstable!

#26 gubak, Nov 30, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  27. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    I'm hoping to get a Samsubg Blackjack and try this on UMTS/HSDPA. If/When it happens, I will post up speed and experience.

28. Bugwart

My Phone:
    Samsung SCH i760,
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Great with

Let us know what sort of speeds you get. It will most likely change with time of day and location.

29. GopherWireless

GopherWireless Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 7520
    Wireless Provider(s):
    NEXTEL, T-Mobile
    Anybody here try using your cell phone as a modem in Central MN?

What kinda speed ya gettin?

30. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That is entirely dependant on your provider, the technology your provider has deployed in your area and your phone bud. You should have read enough to know that. All breaks down to W-CDMA vs. EVDO vs. GPRS vs. Edge vs. 1xRTT and your networks backhaul