Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Kyocera Echo - the First Dual-Touchscreen Smartphone

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by M in LA, Feb 7, 2011.

1. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Sprint Newsroom | Kyocera Echo, Exclusively from Sprint, Revolutionizes the Android Experience as the First Dual-Touchscreen Smartphone

NEW YORK (BUSINESS WIRE), February 07, 2011 - Sprint (NYSE: S) and Kyocera Communications Inc. today announced the first dual-touchscreen Android™ smartphone, Kyocera Echo™, exclusively from Sprint. This Android-powered device features two high-resolution 3.5-inch WVGA touchscreen displays connected by a patent-pending “pivot hinge” that enables the two displays to operate independently, side-by-side or combined to form an oversized 4.7-inch (diagonally) integrated display.
    [​IMG] Kyocera Echo(TM), exclusively from Sprint, shown in Simul-Task(TM) Mode (Photo: Business Wire)

Until now, a single screen on a smartphone could only be used to complete one task at a time, even with limited multitasking capabilities available on some smartphones. Kyocera Echo’s second screen provides the ability to do two things at the same time and get more done – send an email on one screen while surfing the web on the other, watch a video on one screen while texting on the other, comparison shop online with one web site on each screen and so much more.

Images and video of Kyocera Echo’s dynamic design in action are available now at www.echobykyocera.com. Pre-registration begins today at www.sprint.com/echo.
    In its closed position, Kyocera Echo is a pocket-friendly, single-display smartphone. When opened, Kyocera Echo reveals a revolutionary new platform for wireless multitasking and gives customers a new level of versatility in Android. Its innovative hardware and optimized software enables consumers to use the touchscreens in four unique ways:

• Single-Screen Mode with all the functionality of a single-display, touch-screen smartphone.
    • Simul-Task™ Mode with two of the phone’s seven core apps (messaging, e-mail, Web browsing, phone, gallery, contacts and VueQue™) running concurrently but independently on the dual displays – e.g., reading e-mail on one screen and opening a text message on the other; checking Facebook® via the browser on one screen while looking through a photo gallery on the other; or even searching the Web on one screen and checking email on the other.
    • Optimized Mode with both displays supporting a single, optimized app with complementary functionality and enhanced usability – e.g., composing e-mail on one screen with a touchscreen keyboard on the other; watching a YouTube™ video on one display while browsing and queuing additional YouTube videos on the other (with a preloaded Kyocera app called VueQue™); or viewing gallery images on one display while browsing image thumbnails on the other.
    • Tablet Mode with one application spread across both displays for a full 4.7-inch viewing area. Tablet Mode is ideal for viewing maps, videos, websites, detailed documents, and long lists on-the-go.
    “Sprint is proud to boast the most powerful Android portfolio available today and Echo adds to that legacy with industry-leading technology that will change the way our customers use smartphones,” said Sprint CEO Dan Hesse. “Today’s busy schedules often demand that we do at least two things at once. Kyocera Echo is the first device that allows us to do a different task on each of two screens while also providing a tablet-like, larger screen experience that easily fits in a pocket when closed.”

Kyocera Echo will be available this spring for $199.99 with a new two-year service agreement or eligible upgrade and after a $100 mail-in rebate in all Sprint retail channels, including the Web (www.sprint.com) and Telesales (1-800-Sprint1). Pricing excludes surcharges and taxes.

“For years Kyocera has provided handsets to Sprint’s Prepaid Group and MVNOs, as well as to Sprint under the Sanyo brand,” said Eiichi Toriyama, president of Kyocera Communications Inc. “We value greatly our relationship with Sprint and we are thrilled that they have chosen Echo as the standout product with which to reintroduce its customers to the Kyocera brand. With Kyocera Echo, we are proud to give Sprint an iconic, industry-changing device that delivers an entirely new experience for smartphone users.”

Kyocera Echo also includes customized apps optimized for the dual-screen Optimized Mode experience including VueQue™, which lets users watch a YouTube video on one display while browsing, queuing and buffering additional YouTube videos on the other display. Additional applications optimized for the dual-screen experience include:

• Messaging and e-mail: Users can turn the device horizontally and use the top display to view the e-mail/message application while using the lower display as a full-sized virtual keyboard.
    • Browser: Takes the browser experience of a standard 3.5-inch smartphone and enhances it, allowing users to view two websites simultaneously.
    • Gallery: Users can scroll through thumbnail images on one screen while viewing an enlarged image on the other.
    • Contacts/phone: Users can view more of the phone’s contact directory or an expanded virtual dial pad.
    Beyond the dual touchscreen innovation, Kyocera Echo operates on the Android 2.2 system and has access to more than 100,000 apps in Android Market™ – everything from Facebook to Angry Birds. Additional key features include:

• Sprint’s nationwide 3G network and Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)*
    • Wi-Fi hotspot capability, which supports wireless connections for up to five devices
    • 5-megapixel camera with flash, autofocus and digital zoom
    • 720p HD camcorder to quickly capture those on-the-go memorable moments
    • Corporate (Exchange ActiveSync®) and personal (POP & IMAP) e-mail, IM (Google Talk™), text messaging
    • Media player with a 3.5 mm stereo headset jack
    • Stereo Bluetooth® 2.1 (+ EDR)
    • Full HTML Web browser with Google Search™
    • 1GHz Snapdragon processor (QSD 8650 Android)
    • 1 gigabyte (GB) of onboard memory and an 8GB microSD™ card for the external memory card slot supporting cards up to 32GB
    • Voice and text prompts in both English and Spanish
    Kyocera Echo comes packaged with a spare battery (1370 mAh) and a low-profile charging cradle. Along with charging the spare battery independently of the phone, the charging cradle also can tether the spare to Kyocera Echo as an external power supply.
    Additional Google™ features include Google Maps™, Google Talk™, Gmail™, synchronization with Google Calendar™, and access to Google Goggles™ to search with pictures instead of words. With Sprint, Kyocera Echo users have access to Sprint Zone™, providing one-stop wireless account access, phone tips, news, a list of top apps plus TeleNav GPS Navigator, Sprint TV and Movies® and more.

A Software Development Kit (SDK) and developer guide for Kyocera Echo will be available before the launch on the Sprint Application Developer Program (ADP) website at http://developer.sprint.com/android. The developer guide will provide details on developing for a dual-screen handset and Android 2.2 device. It also will provide information on how to take advantage of Kyocera Echo’s unique hardware and software capabilities on the Sprint Network. The Sprint ADP has been providing tools for third-party developers since Sprint first launched the Wireless Web on its phones in 2001.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    There's a reason the post icon I chose for the press release above is an "embarrassed" smiley. Sprint stated last month they were going to make a big announcement that would be the next revolution in smartphones...

And now we know it's the Kyocera Echo...:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but Kyocera? Yes, Sanyo and Kyocera are the same company now, but why was it Verizon stopped carrying Kyo's? Because they were junk and decades behind every other phone on the market. I made the mistake once of buying a Kyocrappa phone and ended up selling it. It was a piece of :censored:. Sorry for the censored language, but that's the nicest word I could find to compliment the phone...

Kyocera's are barely passable as low-end simple phones. Any phone of theirs with an aim higher than basic has never worked out. Only small prepaid carriers have carried Kyo phones. That's saying something.

My concern is whether this phone will work properly or not? With two screens, will it be able to handle the heavy use Android commands? Knowing Kyocera's track record, I doubt it.

I have nothing against Sprint, and this is, IMO, the most embarrassing phone announcement I've ever seen. Apparently I'm not the only one who feels the same way about Kyocera and this so-called "revolutionary" phone. See comments after the story in the link below:

Announcements: Sprint Announces First Dual-Touchscreen Smartphone, Kyocera Echo

See! It ain't just me: http://gizmodo.com/#!5754281/kyoceras-double+headed-echo-is-nothing-more-than-mutant

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung Moment: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9670; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.407 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

I can't believe Sprint thought this was such a game-changer that it was worth all the pre-announcement hype and hiring David Blaine.

Sprint has embarrassed themselves.

4. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    I stand by my original statement. Anytime you have to pull an act, like David Blaine, you are distracting from the lack of content. Sprint did the same exact thing at CES 2010.

5. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    They're shipping the thing with 2 batteries. That's an admission that battery life is awful. Two screens will do that. Batter capacity simply isn't ready for this device.

6. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah. And the battery is only 1370mAh at that...less than the batteries that shipped with the Epic (and the EVO too, I think).

7. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    Here are some more pictures.....looks a little like a Nintendo DS

Attached Files:

8. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It might appeal to a certain segment of users. As long as they come out with some other new options like an Evo 2, Palm Pre 2, etc, I think they will be fine. Why they made such a big deal about this one remains a mystery to me but who knows made Kyocera can prove that they are better now.

9. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I would rather use a single screen that is smaller than use that thing with a big black bar running through the center of it.

10. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I'd rather use a tablet and a regular cell phone then this Kyo. :D

11. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Exactly. I think this is a case of something that tries to do both, and will either end up being worse than both alone, or just another upper-middle tier Android phone.

12. Yugopro

Yugopro Senior Member

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    Poor Sprint, always a loser.
    Can you hear a pin drop?

13. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Always a loser? :loony: Sprint posted good results in the 4th quarter (netting 1 million customer adds) and probably had two of the top devices of the year in 2010 (EVO & Epic). And as far for this new Echo phone, it's still too early to tell if it will be a good seller or not. It just might surprise some of us. At least it's something new that no other carrier has and that can sometimes be a good thing.

14. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah, I think that is a bit harsh. I think Sprint was beyond stupid for calling the press conference like they did and making such a stunt out of the announcement of this phone. But that doesn't make Sprint a loser and it doesn't mean the phone won't sell well (though personally I will be shocked if it does). If the phone sells poorly, that's on Kyocera, not Sprint.

15. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Sprint does offer nice phones. I have had an opportunity to play with the EVO Shift and was quite impressed. Unfortunately we were at a place where I couldn't call out from so couldn't test it out a bit more.

I hope this is the *New & Improved* Kyocera and hope it is successful.

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-ca; SonyEricssonX10a Build/2.1.A.0.435) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

#15 charlyee, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  16. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Well Hyundai improved a great deal so maybe Kyocera can too.

17. nicktt

nicktt New Member

I've seen mid March in the earlier press release. Looks like that has been deleted. Any word on when this will be available?

Being not 4g is actually a plus for me...saves me 10 a month

18. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wirelessly posted (BB Style: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9670; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.407 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

April 17th!

19. isler45

isler45 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

I think this may have changed. It seems like they charge the $10 for any android phone now.

20. nicktt

nicktt New Member

Yes that's true for most sprint plans. But the SERO plans still have the same rules, 4G $10 extra, no surcharge for all 3G phones if you have the SERO premium or SERO plan.