Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Kyocera 7135 vs. Old 6035

Discussion in 'All Other Brands of Wireless Phones' started by CaptainLoose, May 20, 2003.

1. CaptainLoose

CaptainLoose Member

My Phone:
    RAZR2 v9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    For those PDA/Phone users who have switched to the new 7135, what are your observations -i.e., what should I expect in day-to-day functionality vs. the old familiar 6035 (aside from being able to see it!)? I'm trying to justify the price/size; money's not an obstacle, I'm just not convinced I want this phone.

2. TechTomVzW

TechTomVzW New Member

The 7135 is almost the same exact software as the 6035..The color display and top pager notification lcd give it
    a little advantage..We have had a few returns for software freezing and scrolling problems..I would stick with the
    6035 for as long as your eyes can take it...

3. CaptainLoose

CaptainLoose Member

My Phone:
    RAZR2 v9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Interesting information, thanks. I guess my eyes can take it awhile...my biggest problem is I can't find a new case for it anywhere!!!

4. willcall

willcall Junior Member

WirelessGalaxy.com has some good stuff. A co-worker of mine was looking for one and I recommended checking them out. He bought the Rhinoskin and liked it. I've bought stuff for a Samsung A310 I have and they got it to me quickly. The prices are a little higher than most but there's also "no shipping or taxes". You pay for it one way or another. Here's the link for the 6035 accessories. Hope it helps

http://www.wirelessgalaxy.com/ac/kyoceraqcp6035_ac.html

5. willcall

willcall Junior Member

You can use discount code 9010 and get 10% off with WirelessGalaxy.

6. PatP

PatP Junior Member

I've found considerable difference between the 6035 and the 7135. I had a loaner of the 6035, and it worked pretty well, but it was lacking in features compared to my SamSung SPH-I300.

My 7135 has more features than even a gadget freak like myself can effectively use (but I'm working on it)! The ability to add memory via SD or MMC cards is a huge plus. I use a number of large databases on a regular basis that wouldn't even fit on a 6035. I sometimes like to play MP3 files, which also take a fair amount of memory (much more than I could allocate out of the 6035's limited RAM).

I also like the clamshell design of the 7135 much better than the candybar/clamshell hybred used in the 6035. This gives me the ability to wear it on my hip without looking like more of a geek than I normally do!

The color is nice, the web browser support is much better, and subjectively the 7135 just "feels" better to me than the 6035.

-PatP

7. CaptainLoose

CaptainLoose Member

My Phone:
    RAZR2 v9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks PatP for your input. I'm probably a rank amatuer in the gadget category but do like and want a PDA functionality in my phone. I'm just a lazy, casual Web user. I like the functionality of the 6035, just can't take the weak screen and size any longer.
    I've looked at the 7135 several times and haven't commited to purchase. Lot's of people seem to have software issues and, frankly, the Samsung i500 has some size appeal. I was very interested in Walt Mosberg's WSJ assesment this week; he seemed more favorable toward the i500 than his earlier review of the 7135.
    Since I'm on the fence w/ Sprint and Verizon, I'm going to check out the i500 in a few weeks. If I needed the memory card and MP3 features, I might be more inclined to focus on the 7135. But, since I don't and the Samsung is much smaller (clamshell) and Sprint is more cost effective, I'm leaning there.

8. PatP

PatP Junior Member

To each their own...

I had a SamSung SPH-I300 on Sprint for about 16 months. I never really determined which was the larger problem: the SamSung hardware or the Sprint (lack of) network

The new Free and Clear America plans will help a great deal (or possibly eliminate) Sprint's roaming problems. They couldn't tell me how it would work if I was roaming in areas where they claim to have PCS service (like downtown Chicago, Kansas City, Detroit, Minneapolis, etc)... It seems that roaming is roaming to them, which fits well with their take on other customer service issues.

It is possible that I had a bad phone which contributed to the problem. Three different Sprint technicians, in three widely separated Sprint service centers had "blessed" the beast, but SamSung's Sales reps now loudly proclaim that the unit couldn't have been operating correctly.

Just be careful to understand exactly what you are getting before you sign any contracts.

-PatP

9. PatP

PatP Junior Member

Check with Dan's Cell Phones at danscellphones@aol.com or 203/629-1360. I'm sure that he can find what you want, and usually at a significantly lower price than you can find it elsewhere.

-PatP

10. CaptainLoose

CaptainLoose Member

My Phone:
    RAZR2 v9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    PatP. Agree that Samsung doesn't have the best rep. I was encouraged by Walt Mosberg's favorable comments on I500. I'll keep my VZW account until I check it out! I think the I300 was generally a bad phone...the I330 seems better and I've talked to lots who like it...I just want a flip pda. Re: Chicago and Detroit, I've used both Sprint and VZW in both cities. Don't have problems with either. I was told that Sprints new Free & Clear will pick up the strongest available signal...this may actually work against you in areas where both Sprint and VZW have coverage...in fact, I keep my phone on PCS only unless I'm in a known roam area. I did some traveling recently and carried both a VZW and Sprint phone along. There were areas where Sprint analog roam kicked in along w/ VZW...I was surprised to see many areas where VZW used to be analog only and is now digital. As always, Sprints signal drops more frequently and overall VZW's signal is better....but, there's a huge cost premium still. I think the the competition for VZW and Sprint is just heating up...July may bring some changes.