Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Keep it simple, stupid

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by subcellular, Jul 27, 2002.

1. subcellular

subcellular New Member

I'm looking for a cool-looking phone that doesn't have a lot of features that I'm not going to use anyway like internet access, games, and text messaging. I think that the simpler the phone, the fewer headaches I'm going to have. I'm obviously new to this and need help.

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    What each person considers "cool" is so diverse that answering you would be impossible.

Each of the carriers have their own websites and show the phones they carry. You make no mention of where you are (though I looked at your profile to see you are in New York) nor do you mention what vendor you want to do business with.

My suggestion to you is look first for a vendor with good service in your area and look last at the phone you want. Choosing the other way around may yield you a cool-looking paper weight (a phone without service).

3. subcellular

subcellular New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Right now I'm thinking about Verizon, Cingular, or ATT, and I will check the phones on their websites. All I meant by "cool-looking" was that I didn't want an old clunker just because I want a simple phone.

4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If you need a cellphone just to talk, then Nokia's are simple-looking phones. They are small, easy to use and look nice in my opinion. Many of their models don't have antennas to mess with, their menu structure is very straight forward and fool-proof and the keypad is not confusing. Voicestream, Cingular and AT&T sell Nokia. You might want to look at models 3360, 8265, 3395 and 8290.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. subcellular

subcellular New Member

Thanks so much. That's exactly the kind of information that I was looking for.

6. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    what provider are you looking for a phone for.

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. subcellular

subcellular New Member

I'm researching carriers and haven't decided on one yet, but am leaning toward Verizon.

8. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    If you're leaning toward Verizon, the Kyocera 2135 and 2235 are both well made, simple to use, and fairly inexpensive phones.

9. kyocera2235verizon

kyocera2235verizon Junior Member

Yeah I have Verizon and I use the Kyocera 2235. It's awesome and its very easy to use, and the low price is definitely a plus. Also in Verizon, the Nokia 3285 (I believe) is a very nice phone. If you could find a Motorola Startac (they don't make them anymore but you could probably find a few, they are in my opinion, the simplest phone. The higher in pricing you go, is pretty much a more complex phone with a lot more features. My personal opinion is to stay away from the Motorola v120c, I don't like it at all and I think its more difficult to navigate through the menu's. Hope this helps..

10. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    I have to agree with 2235 Verizon. The V120c does have a steep learning curve, much more so than the Kyocera models. The 2235 is a great phone. Definitely give it a close look.

11. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Also, the V120 has one of the highest radiation emission ratings if not the highest in cellular history (1.55 watts/kg). It just missed the FCC limit for approval of 1.60 w/kg.

12. subcellular

subcellular New Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions that are really helping me make some sense out of this confusing business. Can't believe that I forgot all about radiation emission so thanks, Bobolito, for the reminder.

13. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I will agree with the 2235

Jack