Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Just switched from Cingular to Verizon, good choice?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Kal525, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Kal525

Kal525 New Member

I live in Boston and have had Cingular for the past 4 years or so and have been satisfied with them for the most part up until now. My latest phone from them is the Nokia 7000 series phone that has a slide cover on the keypad (i forgot the exact model number since it's been the worst phone i've owned). My previous phones were the Nokia 82xx and my favorite, the 6120, god i loved that phone.

For about the past 4 months i've been experiencing many dropped calls, blocked calls, and just poor reception in general. In addition to this, my nokia phone would randomly shut off at times, which i did fix, unfortunately a far more serious problem seems to plauge this phone (or cingular). In about 15% of the calls that i make, it will go through and i'll be able to hear the person on the other end perfectly, but they won't hear me at all and i don't believe it's a reception issue.

After these problems and the general su ckiness of the 4 phones Cingular does offer, i decided to look at what verizon had, and it was at that point that i decided to let my nokia go along with cingular and head over to verizon to get my hands on the LG vx4400. I am definitely pleased with the phone and it's a nice change from the mundane nokia menus i've been used to for the past 4 years. My only gripe so far is that the sound from the jabra ear piece i have for the phone is very muffled, other than that, it's a fun new toy that will probably keep me entertained for another month before it's just a phone again, but hopefully it will be one that works.

Now i'm asking if the switch i made is good or not mainly because i am thinking of the future of both of these companies. After doing some reading it seems that Cingular is implementing a GSM network, although it's not available in my area so that's probably why i hadn't heard of it. Also, i read that Verizon will be switching to WCDMA by 2005 and has some deal with vodaphone and that it is supposed to be better than GSM. Basically what i don't want to happen is come a year or two from now see that cingular's GSM network is superior to Verizons and regret the switch i made. I've read through this forum and all the different standards seem to be pretty confusing. I understand CDMA, TDMA, and GSM for the most part but am pretty confused about the plans that Cingular and Verizon have for the future. As for other wireless carriers i'm pretty confident that the reception of Cingular and Verizon, in my area at least, is pretty much unsurpased, i'm just hoping for less blocked/dropped calls with verizon. I also think it'd be great to be able to use my phone overseas and use phones from overseas since my family and I travel a lot, although operation in this country is of course most important.

I'd appreciate any thoughts and avice you can give me on this matter such as what the two providers plan to do and in the end who will probably have the better/gobally compatible network.

Oh, and how do i get free WAP and ringtones on the vx4400, i read about that too and if you have any recommendations for an earpeace that'd be great, the Jabra one verizon gave me s ucks so i'll probably return that one for one that goes over the ear instead of in the ear.

Also, why is s uck considered a "forbidden word"

Thanks

2. Codepyro

Codepyro Senior Member

ok a few issues that will help you clear things up...
    1. TDMA is currently an inferior technology with respect to cdma and gsm...(2G)
    1. GSM is bieng implement by cingular...(2.5g with gprs and/or edge)
    2. CDMA is bieng implemented by verizon...(2.5g)
    3. The debate about which technolog is better whether is GSM or CDMA has long been debated...and i don't think it will serve any purpose into going into that debate just look up previous threads on this deabte..
    4. will verizon switch to wcdma..defintely not...BUT...it will be offering speeds and functionality at the same speed(more or less) then wcdma...verizon will be using CDMA 2000 1x and CDMA EV-DO...this technology is considered (3G)...the next gen technology (4G) is suppose to bring all the dirrent technologies together under one standard...(2007)
    5. about international roaming...only gsm providers will be able to offer international raoming...now the gsm provider has to have agreements with countries abroad to provide international roaming...in any case the roaming is very expensive i've tried it my self it comes to somewhere between $1-$2 per minute...the thing is if you roamin with a gsm provider that has a agreemnt with another company abroad...you get to keep your number when your abroad..what is often cheaper and more efective is going to an international company and just changing you sim chip(very easily done) and using prepaid internationally...when using prepaid internationall its FAR cheaper to make phone calls and you get superior coverage...the bad part is u can't use the cell phone number that you have been using...you have to use the cell phone number that the gsm provider abroad gives you...
    6. my perosnal take on it...i have verizon at home and when i go abroad i have a cheap dual band(don't get american dual band get offshore dual band from ebay) GSM nokia($60)..and i just use prepaid sim card in the country i am in...since most countries won't allow you to roam in other countries it works well for me..i get cheap phone rates and great coverage...cingular probably has roaming agreements with a few european countries but i doubt it goes futher than that...corerct me if i'm wrong...having that cheap nokia also saves me the headache of worrying if i loose my phone....

my 2 cents....

3. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    definitly verizon......i was a dihard cingular addict till i explored verizon.....neone that knows my posts on the forum will agree.....verizon was definitly a good choice !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Kal525

Kal525 New Member

thanks for the input, i'm already seeing improvements with verizon. I get better reception in my house than i ever have before, and while i couldn't get service in remote parts of my university with cingular, i get a strong signal with verizon.....which is odd considering i've read that the two offer almost exactly the same coverage and the places where i now get service is inside a building, which i thought TDMA was better at handling than CDMA.

Now as for verizon not adopting wcdma, why does this article say they are going to: http://news.com.com/2100-1033-268198.html

And if they're not going to be adopting this technology, what exactly are their future plans and are they more attractive than a fully functional nationwide GSM coverage from Cingular once they get things up and running.

Codepyro, i've been doing exactly what you've been doing when going abroad, just get a cheap phone and stick any sim card i can find in it, but if i had a phone from the US, wouldn't i be able to get free incoming calls?

As for the 1x bit, my phone says 1x on it, but is this 1x service the same as the 2000 1x service you were talking about, and if so, does it have any affect on call quality or does it just affect data.

The reason i'm so concerned with future plans of these companies is because i want to have the same cell provider for as long as i can if possible so that i can get hooked up with good deals in the future when they see that i've been a customer for 8 years. So 5 years down the road, who will have the most cutting edge technology? Can that question even be answered?

5. Codepyro

Codepyro Senior Member

the article was writen in June 11, 2001 alot has changes since then...

basically they really don't need to update to wcdma nor would they want to because its much cheaper for them to upgrade to cdma 2000 ev-do than to wCDMA...even with just 1x you get high data speeds(144 kbs - 60kb average) which is better than GSM and equivalent to EDGE(like cdma 2000 1x for GSM)....

the 1x does not affect you voice calls at all..basically it means u can use high speed internet in this area...most people with laptops and pdas really benefit from this..since 1x is widely deployed in most cities..

in the coutrnies i've visited i have never seen a provider offer free incoming...and if your comapny (cingular for example) has a roaming agreement with that coampny i still doubt u would be able to get free incoming...incoming was always les than making the call but it was never free for me...the only benefit i think is u MIGHT(not sure about this) be able to keep your cell phone number...but i don't know how thier agreements would work or what not...i've had friend travel abraod using ATT gsm phones and they were told they need to get a new phone number...this was a while ago...

GSM is more widespread than CDMA but CDMA is growing at a faster rate than GSM or any other standard...other countries have recently started adopting CDMA such as japan(kddi second largest there)...korea(ktf largest mobile company there)...india(reliance infocomm).....china(china unicomm)...russia...thailand..and most of the americas

http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2003/03/19/rtr911921.html

thats verizon's future...currently i think verizon is the only one who COMERCIALLY offers speeds upto 2.4 mbs....average 600kb

Its really hard to predict whats going to happen in five years...but here is what is think is happening
    the NEW GSM provider are playing catch to thier TDMA ...T-mobile who already has a large gsm coverage will
    convert to EDGE. THEN probably end of next year all the coampnies will start converting to wCDMA...ATT HAS to have wCDMA in atleast 4 cities...

For CDMA providers they will continue upgrade all the analog towers and thier own system to 1x probably by the end of the year...at the same time they'll start deploying ev-do in more cities this year....

there have been talks about phones that can hangle gsm and cdma...and 4G is suppose to unite all standards...i think in five years 4G will be deployed..
    Verizon has the largest market share(more users than any other company)...i doubt its going to disppear or fade anytime soon...i'm sure tehy will stay competive...

6. Suliman

Suliman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Katana (2)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Millenicom
    Your answer is in your 2nd post - you have noticed a positive difference with Verizon. I switched from USCC and I can't believe how much better VZ is. USCC wasn't bad but VZ connects me in places that USCC couldn't. The best carrier is whatever one works best for you.

Suliman

7. MVL

MVL New Member

You'll probably be better off in the long run with Verizon.

Verizon strategically positions itself as the quality leader, pricing a bit higher, but offering better call reliability and customer service.

Cingular has been trying to be more of a value company, cheaper plans with a lower quality service. Cellular One used to be one of the quality-minded (business-user focused) cellco's in Boston, but since the Cingular merger they have been slowly switiching to more of a discount model. Various postings will attest to the signigicant drop in quality that you are experiencing.

-MVL

8. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It does seem true that cheap people choose Cingular. They get the cheap home plans (which aren't a value on TDMA anyway) and a free cheap nokia. What gets me is, they sign 2 year contracts, when in the long run it's better to do that with Verizon, at least you get something for it.

9. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    When you lack spectrum you cannot afford to make the transition from TDMA to GSM without disrupting existing customers. That's the reason for the quality drop in Cingular's TDMA networks. The same is happening to AT&T wherever they are installing GSM in existing TDMA towers. Once this transition nightmare is over, service will be much better than what TDMA is today.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Codepyro

Codepyro Senior Member

bobolito u think you would switch to verizon after your contract is up and you found that after using ur trial period u like it better...or are u diehard cingular?

11. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    interesting question...im kind of curious myself

12. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    I am definatyely curious about this too. So Bobolito, your answer?

13. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    LOL. I think someone asked me the same question a couple of months ago and I will give the same answer...

If I had any problems that would make me believe my service is not reliable, then I would dump Cingular in a heartbeat. However, this is not the case. It would not be worth my time and energy to spend money on a new phone, giving up my totally national plan, and engage in the task of giving my new number to everyone when I am not having any problems that will justify a switch. There are a few sporadic hiccups in the TDMA network here and there in the past few weeks as a result of the GSM overlays. However, it is not often and nothing to justify a complaint. As long as I can use my phone where I need it (indoor or outdoor) that's all I care about and Cingular TDMA has been providing that so far. I don't have to keep running outside or getting close to a window and pray so that my signal doesn't fade, unlike many people with PCS services around here. Therefore, I consider my service worth keeping.

By the way, I am not even under contract anymore, so there's nothing attaching me to them. But like they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

14. Kenster

Kenster Senior Member

Wow, that was a very political correct answer! [​IMG]

Let me translate and paraphrase what was said above:

"Although I do have some issues with Cingular's tdma service, it has gotten to the point where it is bothering me somewhat. I am not in a contract and do not wish to sign up for one with Cingular. The company has not done anything to entice me to stay with them in terms of spicing up the plans. I better see some improvements over the course of the next few months, otherwise, I am just hopefully waiting to take advantage of the number portability deal later this year."

I hope my translation and paraphrase was dead on correct. [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    LOL....That translation was more like a joke representing what you wanted to hear [​IMG] [​IMG]