Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Just some Sprint news

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Wayne, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Sprint’s Service Gets Poached At CTIA Show
    Sprint PCS customers and the company's chief operating officer discovered they could not send or receive calls at the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association Show this week in Orlando, FL, Reuters (3/20) reported. Sprint PCS said on Wednesday it found at least two companies with exhibits at the largest industry show of the year that were inadvertently infringing on its wireless spectrum and preventing customers from using their cell telephones. "It seems like Sprint was the victim of spectrum snatching," Dan Wilinsky, spokesman for Sprint PCS told Reuters. "Networks understand what happens when 30,000 people show up with phones," said Industry Analyst Andrew Seybold. Seybold said other wireless operators appeared to have few problems at the conference. "From every report I got, Verizon Wireless outdid themselves," he said.

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    This info has already been posted several times. It's old news now. Are you anti-Sprint or something? What did they do to you?

3. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Actually......................hate to say it.............I like Sprint. If I was going to get a cell phone and Verizon was not around.........Sprint would be my choice. Sprint just needs to work on roaming agreements with analog carriers so they can have more coverage. I think some decisions Sprint makes are bad. Yes they have an all digital network.......................and that is great..............but...........alot of the USA is not digital yet. Most other carriers have roaming agreements with analog coverage.............
    I havent been on for a couple of days and i get news reports...........just posting it.......................didnt know that it had already been posted.

4. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    This always seems to be the issue with Sprint... "Why don't they offer free analog roaming like others do". Well VoiceStream doesn't either but it seems no one ever mentions that or seems to care. Why does everyone give Sprint a harder time than VoiceStream about the roaming issue? I mean VS & Cingular (GSM) don't even have analog roaming at all. At least Sprint let's you analog & digital roam and their roaming agreements do cover all areas of the US. Sprint's digital footprint is actually a little larger than VoiceStreams. To me it's not even an issue. I rarely ever leave Sprint's network and when I do I pay the $7 or $8 extra I'm charged to make a few roaming calls maybe twice a year. No big deal. They do have an off network option that can be purchased for $10/month to include a good number of off network minutes. The truth is that Sprint can't afford to include free roaming yet so everyone should just understand that. As soon as they can they will. The reason they can't afford it is because they don't own any analog networks.

5. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

ROFL.........well the reason I do not bring up Voice Stream is that .................well...............I dont consider them to be in the compitition at all. They just dont have the coverage. And soon ATT and Cingular will be converting to that system.................which I think is a mistake....but hey.............more money for me.[​IMG]

6. mcf04581

mcf04581 Senior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile SDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless
    Wayne,

I totally agree with you. Voicestream is about as much competition as Trac Phone. I used to have sprint about 2 years back and went to Florida with it and even at that time, in and around the Orlando area, service was horrible, so its kinda funny to see them fail at the biggest event of the year for cellular.

Larry,

While I dont mean to call sprint horrible service, that is what they are, at least in my experiences. Now that I am with Verizon, I never have the dropped calls or the no-network problem that I had with Sprint. I do have to say that back when I had them, there minute packages couldnt be beat, but now that Verizon has coverage everywhere that sprint has coverage, and then some, plus even better rates, why would anyone want to stay with sprint other than the cool phones.

By the way, Wayne, do you work for Verizon?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Wayne, why do you think Cingular and AT&T are making a mistake with their choice? Are you suggesting that they both scrap their TDMA network and start from scratch to build a CDMA network? I think you are mistaken as to what's going on here.

It's perfectly fine to have a good CDMA network in the US as offered by Verizon and Sprint PCS, but it's also great to have a couple of the major carriers (#2 and #3) go with GSM/GPRS/EDGE -- the world's most widely used standard. As mentioned in AT&T's press release, soon users will have the option and capabilities of using their phone here in the US or under the Eiffel Tower in France. AT&T will has already forged a growing list of roaming partners worldwide. Even if someone won't even care about using their phone outside of the US, there are still some benefits such as economies of scale when joining the world's most popular and widely used standard.

Besides, Qualcomm just released a new GSM1x standard that's being tested right now:
    "GSM1x enables convergence of a GSM/GPRS core service network with CDMA2000 radio access. GSM operators can seamlessly integrate this new solution by leveraging their existing GSM/GPRS core network equipment while enhancing the data capabilities and spectral efficiency of their radio access with commercially available CDMA2000 1X infrastructure. Using existing spectrum, GSM1x offers GSM operators increased voice and data capacity, supporting peak data speeds of up to 307 kbps in a 1.25 MHz channel. Common data throughput achieves up to 70-90 kbps, two to three times the throughput of standard dial-up modems. Additionally, the GSM1x solution seamlessly supports the CDMA2000 1xEV-DO air interface, allowing peak data rates of 2.4Mbps"

8. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

What happened with Sprint PCS at the CTIA show is kinda in the same category as what happend to Bill Gates at the Comdex show/presentation in Chicago. In front of everyone, he received the "blue screen of death" on his machine/laptop. I can't remember if it was a Windows 2000 OS or what.

9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    << Wayne,

I totally agree with you. Voicestream is about as much competition as Trac Phone. I used to have sprint about 2 years back and went to Florida with it and even at that time, in and around the Orlando area, service was horrible, so its kinda funny to see them fail at the biggest event of the year for cellular.

Here we go again. If you had their service 2 years ago then you really can't comment on what it's like today. I had Airtouch (Verizon) 5 years ago and it was horrible. Does that mean that they're still horrible today? NO. 2 years, even 1 year can make a huge difference.

Larry,

While I dont mean to call sprint horrible service, that is what they are, at least in my experiences. Now that I am with Verizon, I never have the dropped calls or the no-network problem that I had with Sprint. I do have to say that back when I had them, there minute packages couldnt be beat, but now that Verizon has coverage everywhere that sprint has coverage, and then some, plus even better rates, why would anyone want to stay with sprint other than the cool phones.

By the way, Wayne, do you work for Verizon?
    >>

Text

10. Apoc

Apoc Senior Member

Voicestream sucks i use to hate Sprint PCS until they really pulled there stuff together but the whole thing about the Trades show. Do you think Col. Sanders liked the first deep fried drumstick when he became a fast food chain? nope so it happends i make an idiot of myself everytime i try to compare services. point of the story it will soon occur to anyone look at AT&T back in 1987 big crash of TDMA =) I really Hate ATTWS and btw i dont care Kevin or any other ATTWS Goons!

11. Apoc

Apoc Senior Member

j/king about the ATTWS crack i dont mind'em =)

12. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

I dont think this reflects badly on SPrint PCS at all. Just read what is said, OTHER COMPANIES infringed on sprints spectrum. The only companies that should look bad here are those, not sprintpcs. I dont even know what all theses posts following are really all about. The point is moot that sprint failed at the conference. Other companies failed. No brainer

13. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Sorry................been gone for the weekend. Kenny...............to what you said about scrapping the TDMA and building a CDMA network, naaaa.........there is already enought CDMA out here in the USA. I just think they should keep the TDMA for right now instead of changing it over at this point and time. There is just not enough of thier network to cover like the CDMA does. Build up the network..........then change it that way customers are still happy that they could use thier phone where they are used to using it................ Most people will not keep a product that they cannot use it in analog areas. True people will be able to use it over seas...........but most people in USA do not go over there. I am not saying it is not a good idea..........................but right now I think it is a bad decision.

Cant we all just get along ROFL[​IMG]

14. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

By the way, back in February a brilliant Verizon CS rep told me that one of the advantages of Verizon is that they use the TDMA system! Hahahahahaha -- I almost cracked up laughing on the phone!

15. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

omfg......................LOL...............well............uhh........I said we have a good network...........not smart employees heheh[​IMG]

16. mcf04581

mcf04581 Senior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile SDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless
    Larry,

Just responding to your response.

Here we go again. If you had their service 2 years ago then you really can't comment on what it's like today. I had Airtouch (Verizon) 5 years ago and it was horrible. Does that mean that they're still horrible today? NO. 2 years, even 1 year can make a huge difference.

I wasnt saying anything about todays service, I was just informing that I at one time had them and back then they were bad. And what do you mean I can't really comment? That is the whole point of a discussion forum.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I meant that as a figure of speech. What's important is the quality of service that you have today, not 2 years ago. I don't think what happened two years ago has any bearing on today. You're exact words were:

"While I dont mean to call sprint horrible service, that is what they are, at least in my experiences".

I think "are" should have been phrased as "were" because you were talking about your experience 2 years ago weren't you? "Are" would refer to the present. Just my opinion. [​IMG]

I think the most beneficial information on this site is first hand recent experiences not old ones.