Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Just ordered the Galaxy Note 3:

Discussion in 'SAMSUNG' started by Eileen89, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

[​IMG]

After looking at online reviews for the Note 3 for the past week or so I decided to try it for myself using AT&T's 14 day trial period. I had planed on getting the Galaxy S5, but after comparing the specs and features the Note 3 seems like it will be better for my needs. If I decide to keep the Note 3, my iPhone 5S will primarily be used with my T-Mobile prepaid service. I ordered the Note 3 at full retail through my AT&T premiere site and I am still waiting for it to process, so I'll update this thread when it finally arrives.

Sent from my iPad Air

4 people like this.
  2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Great to hear. I'm using the Verizon variant of the Note 3, mostly pleased since the end of Januar

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  3. Eileen89

Did it take you a while to get used to the size? I think this will be my challenge, more so than the OS. From what I read, though, it is light so hopefully this will make up for the size.

Sent from my iPhone 5S.

4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It took about a day of fatigued hands to get used to it. I guess the thumbs and palms needed to stretch out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Congratulations Eileen, hope it works out for you. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  6. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I've had it since it's release on ATT. Paid full price. The only observation that is a negative is that the screen doesn't seem to be as responsive to touch as the Note2 was. Other than that, I love it. About using it with one hand--although I do not use the feature, there is the ability to size the display to about 75% of the screen which makes everything smaller. You can choose left or right handed bias.

2 people like this.
  7. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Good news. Sounds fun!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro

8. Eileen89

I had seen this feature in the reviews and will probably try it as I know the N3 is going to be large compared to my hands. I ordered the iVisor Crystal Clear screen protector from Moshi and 2 Spigen Ultra Fit cases (Black and White) for it. I'm going to hold off purchasing a Micro SD card till I see if I like the N3.

My Note 3 has finally shipped and should be here tomorrow. :)

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad Air

1 person likes this.
  9. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I use this feature for the phone dialer only. It is neat. I also used it on the Note 2.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

10. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    What your motivation for the large Note? Screen size or new system?

Given that a larger screen IPhone is very likely to show up soon?

Just curious. Nothing wrong with a different device, but that's a lot of apps to download, etc.

11. Eileen89

^ I'm actually rather frustrated with my Apple products right now. Since iOS 7 has come out I've had nothing but app crashes and very random reboots on my iPhone 5S as well as my iPad Air. I feel as though Apple is simply dragging their feet coming out with an update this time around. I know people talk about Android devices not getting updates on time, but Apple hasn't been any better. Six months of crashes and reboots is enough for me at this point. How much longer do myself and others having the same issues have to suffer until a fix finally comes out? Anyway, I'm no longer happily with the small screen size on my 5S either. It's too small to enjoy watching my Netflix on or other videos. Yes, Apple will most likely make the next iPhone screen bigger, but the question is, will they make it wider this time to actually take advantage of the screen? Or will we have to continue to rotate the phone sideways as is required now?
    I've seen a lot of improvement in the Android OS since KK was released, so hopefully I won't experience any issues with my N3 after the update. All I know is that it can't be any worse than my sitting here wondering wether or not I'm actually going to be able to finish this post before the App that I'm using decides to randomly crash on me.... I guess I'm just tired of the same of the same old OS and want to see if there is something else out now that will actually be more useful to me.
    As far as downloading Apps goes, most of what I need is already in my Google account and should be as easy as logging in with the Note 3 and redownloading them. I'm a little concerned about my 2 health Apps that I use for Celiac's disease. The 2 that I have are a must for scanning items at the store for Gluten. I've read a few reviews that showed the Apps for Android, but some users had issues with scanning. My 5S is 95% spot on with the scan feature in the Apps.

Sent from my iPhone 5S.

1 person likes this.
  12. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I am disappointed as well by how long it is taking Apple to send out a fix for the crashes and reboots. Supposedly it is going to be this week but even them it is still quite long from when the 5s was launched.

My experience with reboots and crashes on my iPad Air is a one of the reasons I have stayed with my 5. I was real leery during my vacation that it doesn't reboot while transferring photos, so I consciously closed out every app when I was done using it.

Yes Android has come a long way and I hope the N3 works out for you. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  13. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Gosh. I hope that I don't go down that path! Had the 5S for 2 weeks and no crashes, reboots or blue screens. Sometimes Tapatalk or ny times will open and close right away. But that is pretty common with those apps. My wife has had none either.

I've seen no new google results on crashes since Oct 2013. Even then the rates was 2%, only 2X higher than iOS 6. Apple told me that was mostly apps not rewritten for the A7.

You were an early adopter. I've read that Apple is replacing those early units of those that bring them in.

There is still no mention of an update to fix crashes for the update in March. Maybe it is bad hardware on some units. Have you ever tried to discuss with Apple?

Very sorry, not trying to be off topic!

14. Chapstickman

Chapstickman New Member

I ordered the Note 3 as well in about the same manner you did (waiting on the s5). I feel hosed though tommy! When the Nexus 5 relased my girlfriend needed a new phone so i ordered one. She love it and i was dumbfounded by the wireless charging. She picked up one of these super cheap Qi charging stands from ebay. Needless to say this had to be on my next phone. So searched a bit about the note 3...but not enough apparently. It's Qi compliant sure, but add in an additional fourty bucks at least. Im ranting here, but i was forced to pay more for a Note 3 wireless charging cover. I love the phone, dont get me wrong. But how can a 300 hundred dollar LG phone come with this equipped but a 700 dollar note 3 you need to pay extra...never again samsung never again. end/Rant.:mad:

15. Eileen89

I understand that there are many others like yourself who don't have any problems with their devices and I think that is a good thing in your case. I've read of many others who did replace their iDevices over this issue and they still had crashing and reboots afterwards which is one of the reasons why I won't have them replaced. I'm convinced there is no hardware issue with my iPad Air or iPhone 5S and will not waste my time having an otherwise issue free device switched out needlessly. This is definitely a software issue that can be resolved with an update. iOS 7.1 does address this and I've read that for many testers out there, the crashing has stopped after this update.

Apple is aware that it is a software issue as well judging from what I've read here and is working on a fix for it: http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...-in-the-works-for-random-ios-7-crashing-issue

Sent from my iPad Air

1 person likes this.
  16. Eileen89

I am sorry, but I have a hard time understanding why people buy a device knowing what it is and isn't capable of and later complain about a feature such as wireless charging not being supported. If wireless charging is something that you absolutely had to have, why did you buy the Note 3 knowing that this feature wasn't supported for it?

Sent from my iPad Air

1 person likes this.
  17. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I saw that link too (and posted it somewhere in WA in the past). I did so because it implies that the occasionally reboot problem is from iOS 7 on any iPhone, 5 and 5S. Not just devices with the A7 chip.

That is why I'm thinking, like most things, these outlier problems are multifaceted. Partly hardware and partly software. I'm not seeing anything major on the speciality forums either, that iOS 7.1 has fixed reboots, but I just did a quick scan.

I'd be curious to go to Apple and see what they say...one could always chose not to swap out...but I've never had a problem doing so, for a defective hardware device.

But in the end, " I know nothing", as Sargent Schultz would say.

Let's keep the fingers crossed, as iOS 7.1 is due in the next week or so.

Okay, last post off topic...before someone moves it. -)

Enjoy your new Note 3...and writes lots of notes on WA with it for us....

#17 viewfly, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  18. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    i don't see Tapatalk open and close right away as being pretty common since I have never had it do that on my iPhone 5 or iPad 2, it does however on my iPad Air. So I believe what you are seeing is the same thing the others are complaining about. :)
    i absolutely agree with you on all you have posted. When I went in to get my iPhone 5 battery changed, I had asked about the Air and was told that Apple is aware of this widespread issue a software update is in the works.

Ok this is the last off topic post, Eileen hope to see Note 3 posts from now on after you get it tomorrow. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  19. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I gotta have the last word here, since I think I was misunderstood. The problem with Tapatalk occurred on my iPhone 5...and has carried over to the 5S. So not a hardware issue. It is the worst App I've ever had.
    What we have here are some Apple guys saying it is hardware, and another group of Geniuses saying it is software. I'm just saying it maybe both or one or the other for some.

Here is hoping that 7.1 fixes your crashing problems. If it took this long for Apple to issue an update, either 1) it doesn't occur for a lot of people (>1%) or 2) it is more insidious than most think, and took a long time. There is no upside for Apple to have tons of users with A7 crashes and delaying a software fix. Clearing the iPhone 5S and Air's are flying off the shelfs like free hotcakes, so its not a huge problem.

#19 viewfly, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  20. Eileen89

My Note 3 arrived this afternoon and as you can see from my screen shots, I haven't put it down. It came 50% charged. I think the battery life is going to be great going by my first day with it. I'll review the Note 3 after I've had a chance to test it out. So far though, I love this device! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3.

1 person likes this.
  21. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Nice. That is one argument for going to a larger screen: the energy consumption of the device doesn't increase as rapidly as the battery capacity does with volume. All iPads get phenomenal battery life. As does the larger sized androids. That may be the one argument for a larger iPhone I can understand. Up to a limit in size though.

Enjoy your Note 3! Will you getting the matching watch too?

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk Pro

1 person likes this.
  22. Eileen89

Thanks. I'm definitely enjoying it so far. I love having the ability to Swipe again instead of typing things out. I ended up getting almost 6 hours of on screen usage out of the 50% charge that it came with which was very good.
    I won't be getting the Watch since I wouldn't use it over my Polar FT4 HRM anyway.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3.