Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Just loving alltel... NOT!

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by garcghs, Jan 26, 2007.

1. garcghs

garcghs New Member

We just became alltel wireless folks. Got 5 lines for the fam.
    My NOT happy reasons

Axcess, (razor V3m's)
    cannot even download AIM, they say it will be fixed
    even if I could get AIM, AIM is NOT Alltel's property. How can Alltel or any other provider, charge to use someone elses programming etc. It kinda lke making a pay phone call and being chaged for how many words you speak!
    I have 5 phones, texting/messaging cost would be UNREAL or I could pay about $21 a month on each line. psst ALLTEL thats more than service for 5 lines and phone charges combined! HOW ABOUT A GROUP or FAMILY DEAL

cannot have J2 on phone at all, but if we where on any other provider not a problem. This prevents the using of all types of stuff

cannot upgrade software on phone from MOTO, agian provider

HIGH COST SERVICE
    LOW RENT FUNCTIONS:mad:

2. livspop

livspop Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto Q
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Sounds like you need to exercise your 15-day right to return and move to another carrier. If I was this unhappy after just getting a service, that's what I'd do. Bye bye.......

3. garcghs

garcghs New Member

Would love 2, however the 15 days have expired!
    By time everything began to work, ie axcess, was to late.
    Anyway, I live in the boonies, only alltel and cingular have digital service out here. Rest are a crapshoot at best

4. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Try to calm down a little bit. There are some very helpful people on here but I promise they will be more willing to help out with better responses if you're more interested in what can be done rather than ranting. ;)

I'm not an employee or anything but I'll try to provide limited help. From what I understand, AIM should be functional on the V3M by the end of January. Two threads below this one, Shockwave posted information on messaging with the V3M. Alltel charges for AIM in part because AIM charges Alltel to run the program, therefore they must recoup the cost plus pay for providing you the service. Sort of like how Adelphia or Comcast charges for providing you the tv station.

I don't know what J2 is so I can't be much help there.

Text messaging rates with Alltel are pretty competitive compared to other providers. Have you looked at the family choice plan. For $79.99 for the first 2 lines and $15 for each additional line. You can get 1000 total minutes, N&W, M2M, My Circle and either Nights at 7 or 1000 text/pic/vid messages per line. So I'm not real sure by what you mean $21 per line. Are you talking about the all axcess pass? If so, why would you need that many messages for all 5 lines? It's one of the more competitive rates for unlimited messaging if you compare it to other providers. The plan I mentioned one example of a family deal and there are many other plans. Other plans are usually $10 to add a line but don't include texting/nights @ 7. For these plans there are other texting options, 300 for $5.99, 750 for $9.99, etc. I think the biggest problem is that it sounds like you don't know all your options. If you feel like talking about your options feel free to ask away and I'm sure you'll be more likely to get genuine help if you're interested in it.

#4 UFO, Jan 26, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  5. MarkTX

MarkTX New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    While you do have 15 days to ditch em, I think you're still liable for the activation fees. So in this guy's case (even if he was still in his 15 day window) he would be hit with an activation fee for each of those 5 phones, and anyone care to guess what Alltel would do if he refused to pay ?

Can you say dept collector...

6. djjim

djjim Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    Vzw and Cingular are more expensive in EVERY way..geez. Also, text messages at the others are now .15 ppu as compared to .10 ppu with Alltel.

7. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    So the basic are. Alltel is cheaper then pretty much everyone else even with texting. The only real issue is the axcess apps IM not working for you....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I don't think we will here back from the op....Rant and bail

9. greenlime812

greenlime812 New Member

My Phone:
    motorola e815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ALLTEL!!!!!
    i do agree with the poster that it is wrong that alltel blocks java, but then the even worse problem is qualcomm not allowing people to create brew apps because they only liscence the sdk to approved developers

10. garcghs

garcghs New Member

Wrong, out of town
    However, this is how it works out.
    Unlimited plan for internet, texting etc. 19.95 a mo. per line
    Thats $100, before tax per month.
    1200 Greater freedom, $59 per plus tax
    monthly rent on each phone 9.99 plus tax +$50
    Thats $209 a month without buying nothing extra.
    oops forgot $7.50 a month per phone for insurence.
    The guy was absolutly correct, canceling service would have been almost $1000!
    What I am really upset about, is the LACK of axcess service that is provided.
    VERY BASIC, RAZORS are capilable of far more that what Alltel allows them to do. J2 is JAVA, BREW is a very basic JAVA. RAZORS have JAVA2 (J2), except for Alltel.
    AIM does NOT charge for AIM software, however they DO charge for OEM service, such as using BREW instead of JAVA for example.
    Many games will not work on phone (however they still let you download and then charge you for the game) etc. do to same problem.
    THIS was not in the Alltel list of GREAT :censored: service's they offer
    You find all this out later, well in 1 year and 11 months, Verison here I come

11. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wirelessly posted (MOT-E815_/00.62 UP.Browser/6.2.3.4.c.1.106 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Well you could switch to the new national freedom plan. 79.99 for two lines and you can pick between 7 o'clock nights or the messaging pack which is included in the price. Though the three additional lines are 15. Given the amount of features you are getting, you have to make sure it is actually used and worth it. If you think alltel is expensive you will just love verizon....i also believe insurance is a scam but that part is just opinion.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #11 strunke, Jan 31, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  12. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    J2=Java, yeah, I should've made that connection, I do agree with Greenline on that issue. If you download something and it doesn't work on your phone, you should call in to Alltel and they should take it off the bill though.

I also think the insurance is a rip-off. Cancel it, take the $7.50/month/phone and put it in a pot. If a phone ever breaks you'll have more than enough to buy a new one at retail price.

What I don't understand though is why you would need unlimited texting and web access on every phone. Is that really necessary? Alltel has a lot of other texting plans and they're all less than what Verizon charges who doesn't even have an unlimited plan. For $20 per line with Verizon you would have 2500 messages, unlimited only to other Verizon customers, and no web.

Why not consider the plan that Strunke mentioned? You get the first 1000 messages free on every line? For $79 + $15 + $15 + $15 = $125 and you'd have 1000 text/pic/vid messsages on on each line, 1000 National minutes, My Circle, M2M, and N&W.

And if you are in a low-coverage area you should also know that Alltel SID 00054, which covers Cleveland, Akron and Canton, is not available for Verizon customers to roam on in the Verizon PRL. You'd pay more and be a lot worse off for coverage.

13. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

i was advised that if you have a camera phone, text messages are .25 rather than .10 on the 800 number. still like the alltel service though.

14. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    the .25 is for pix and video messages only. Just to send a reg text is still .10

15. garcghs

garcghs New Member

Thanks fellas, major pain this has all been.
    The National Freedom texting deal plan, only allows texting for 1 phone.
    The rest are at regular price. Also, min become a issue, most of the textings and phone usage including pic's etc. will be from phone to phone on same plan, so min are used in plan X 2. and basic phone line becomes $15 instead of $9.50 a month.
    With Greater plan, anytime min are not even counted within plan mobil to mobil. CIRCLE or NO CIRCLE
    (I HAVE 3 TEENAGERS ALL GIRLS! they are born knowing how to text I think they are actually doing it in there sleep! And at 10 cents a text, and 25 a pic or video, that add's up real fast)
    As for refunds on downloads, NO REFUND! only CREDIT on next download.
    Alltel seems to want to funnel all thrue axcess and reap nickels off everything done on web. Did they not learn from Bill Gates

16. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):

The family deal allows for 1000 text/pix on all lines, not just one. I do not know who told you that. That is why they are 15 dollars to add a line instead of 9.99.... If you don't want your girls to text, call and disable text messaging..no big deal.

17. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    National Freedom plan is the same way. You get free mobile-to-mobile as well as My Circle so you won't use minutes. djjim is also correct about the texting. 1000 texts/month works out to 33 1/3 per day per line. My view with my family is if they're responsible enough to have a cell phone then they're responsible enough to limit their texting to a reasonable limit within the plan. If they're not responsible enough to know the limit, then they're not responsible enough to have texting available on the line. Texts can be kept up with online under My Account.
    This is a pain but all the carriers do it. Verizon is the same way, except worse and I know from experience. Verizon's applications work in roughly the same manner except their phones are disabled and locked down not to allow you to transfer pics to your computer for free, you can't upload ringtones to your phone or mp3's for free either. They are even greedier. Services must be bought through them for basic phone features.

18. alltelwirelesstech

alltelwirelesstech Senior Member

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Hey guys I am using AIM on my V3M!!!

19. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well garcghs, looks like problem solved.....

20. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

hope you're right, but this is NOT the advice given by the alltel 800 personnel. they specifically told me that if the phone is a camera phone, even text messages are billed at 25 cents.

21. livspop

livspop Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto Q
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    If that's true, that makes me sick to my stomach. How can a company tolerate such incompetence among its staff? If someone doesn't even have a basic grasp on how text/pic messaging works and what the costs are, isn't that probably costing the company some money? I mean, my 9-year-old even knows that pic messages are more expensive than text messages...

22. Shockwave13

Shockwave13 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto V9m RAZR2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel =)
    I have the Alltel Moto RAZR V3m and you still cannot use AIM on it via Axcess Apps downloads like just about every other Alltel phones. I dont know how you are doing it, but its not even an option for download in Axcess Apps. I called down to the store to make sure I didnt miss something. They confirmed it, AIM is still no go on the V3m they are still having issues getting it to work in testing.
    :mad: which is silly... you can get it to work on the Kyo SoHo and other phased out phones from yrs back.. but you cant get it going on one of your most popular current model phones?

23. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

i suspect that the person on the 800 line was FOS. i had called once before about the "my circle" minutes on the TOTAL FREEDOM plan. as info, that plan supposedly limits you to 1000 mobile to mobile minutes per month. the alltel tech told me that the "my circle" minutes were included in the "mobile to mobile" total and were therefore limited to 1,000 minutes a month. she then tried to sell me extra mobile to mobile minutes for either $5.00 or $7.00 per phone per month. when the bill came the M2M minutes, including the circle minutes were UNLIMITED. so the service is great, but tech support leaves MUCH to be desired.

24. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Mobile-to-mobile is limited to 1,000 but My Circle promises unlimited calling to the ten numbers in your My Circle list and Alltel delivers on that promise.

25. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

i agree with you that the M2M was explained to me at the alltel store as being limited to 1000 minutes, but the bill itself says "unlimited" in the M2M slot where both types of calls are reported as one. i don't think the system actually differentiates between M2M and My Circle calls at this time, making the Total Freedom plan equivalent to the newer National Freedom plan that provides for unlimited M2M. There's still the 1000 minute limit on nites/wkds.

26. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

as i probably should have figured there were a couple of text messages on my son's phone this month billed at a dime each, despite what the 800 operator told me about the camera phones. those 800 operators haven't a clue as to what they're talking about a good bit of the time. still like the service. and i KNOW i'm using more than 1000 mobile to mobile minutes, but they don't distinguish these from the my circle minutes on the TOTAL FREEDOM PLAN.

27. bucs2424

bucs2424 New Member

you pretty much rebutted your own problem......physical presence is what Alltel is about....you get the service, Y complain....at least you have that....the rest is just a bunch of gizmos that the other companies MUST giveaway just to keep their customers because of their poor service....GOOD LUCK....B-