Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Just curious.....is jailbreaking still a thing?

Discussion in 'APPLE iPhone, iPad Tablets and all iOS Devices' started by kjo, Jun 6, 2020.

1. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hey all. I hope you are staying safe. I’ve been seeing lots of videos talking about how you can jailbreak easily on iOS 13.5 I have not updated to 13.5.1. I’ve got the app on my phone to do a jailbreak but not sure it’s a good idea.
    I did see they will be supporting 7 plus On iOS 14. Sounds like that will be the last one I’ll be able to update too. My phone is only 2 years old. Not ready to get rid of it yet.

so other than saying hi wanted to spark a conversation. Jailbreaking sounds fun but scary all at the same time

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    palandri likes this.
  2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Howdy! Hope you're staying safe, too ;)

Personally I'd only consider jailbreaking a phone that wasn't a daily driver for me. I don't root (Android equivalent of jailbreaking) my phones anymore, and even when I did it wasn't until after all official updates for it ceased to exist.

So I suggest you ask yourself why you want to jailbreak? Just for fun or curiosity? Definitely don't do it with the phone you use actively, wait till you get a new phone and then jailbreak the old one. Does jailbreak offer something you feel will make your phone a better device and you're willing to trade off something for it? Go for it, but first read the https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iphone/is-jailbreaking-my-iphone-or-ipad-safe-3491721 and check out the pros and cons section.

kjo and palandri like this.
  3. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    ^^^ Ditto What dmapr said^^

I've rooted a few of my Android phones. and have read a few post about jailbreaking an iPhone. I think a lot people do it just to get free apps from an illegal download site. Later they realize their phone is full of malware and their credit card number has been stolen.

kjo and dmapr like this.
  4. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thank you for the detailed reply! I will definitely check out the article. I’m thinking if it to have like call bar and all the things that you dish you could just tweak you know. I will wait to do one day on this phone after I upgrade. But I still will look it up. Also I think part of it is I just am curious how and figure it’s a “knowledge” of sorts I never learned much about. I’m not ready to upgrade for awhile so I will just behave ;). Thanks again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    palandri and dmapr like this.
  5. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Just for fun perhaps, but I never jailbreak. Just let’s evildoers into your phone and probably instability.

Sort of like managing your own stock portfolio. Unless you are going to keep up with the changing software, best to let the experts (Apple) do it theses days.

VF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

palandri likes this.