Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Just curious...how many "root" their phones?

Discussion in 'ANDROID Phones, Tablets and Devices' started by kjo, May 14, 2015.

1. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    i must admit this is the one part of "wireless" that I've never dealt with much. I have so many questions and thoughts about this particular subject.

All I know is I like my phone but long for a few features that are in a later version of Android. The term brick comes in and then I throw out thoughts of even attempting custom rooms, etc.

I purchased a mytouch awhile back that had a custom rom. Perhaps I should practice on that one before I attempt on my Galaxy s2. My biggest concern is if it will mess up sim unlocking. I'm using my unlocked tmobile phone on cricket service. If I screw it up then I will be forced to buy a new phone either from them which will then require me to go into a pan with Data. I'm currently home recovering from a spinal fusion so I really don't need anything other than talk and text as I have unlimited access over my wifi. I should probably leave well enough alone LOL but the phone is barely used as I only had it on tmo's prepaid for emergency services mostly when out and about. Got rid of home phone so went with Cricket to consolidate all services. But the bug of wanting a new phone with a newer android. Specifically kit kat is coming up. So I either buy a newer phone from cricket or buy unlocked or figure out a way to update my phone software.

I apologize i'm just a total clueless newbie at this and scared I will just mess up the phone. With all the medical right now I've really had no choice but to just basically "shut up" and use what I got. Even with insurance medical bills are a killer to the new phone budget. LOL. Meaning there is no budget. Ha ha

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated. I'm really curious to know how many just automatically root their phones and do the whole cynomod or custom rom route?

Thanks for listening to me ramble :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Tamaracastillo1990, JFB and our3rotts like this.
  2. our3rotts

our3rotts An Iowa Gurl...

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    I am an admitted geek - and almost from the first month I got my first android (HTC Eris) I rooted it. I like rooting to get rid of the bloatware that the vendors decide you just have to have. I like having a new ROM when they are available for the phone, not when the carrier decides to release it. Of course, that means you don't experience the native overlay that Samsung, Moto, LG or HTC have built on top of android.
    Rooting now is not quite a hard as it was 4 or 5 years ago. Several developers have "one-touch" root apps that pretty much do the entire thing for you - like Towel Root.

When you root, you want to have a custom recovery to make it easiest to flash your phone - like TWRP. Then you can pretty much download any custom ROM built for your phone to your internal or SD memory. You boot into recovery, make a backup of your current system, then wipe and flash the new ROM. Sometimes it might take a little while for the first boot up - but once you're back running, it's like having a brand new phone.
    Do a little research on the main Android modding forums - XDA is my go-to. if you have questions - make sure you search the forum before you ask it - they hate when you ask them a question that was easily searched.
    I've never had an issue with my SIM card or a full brick of my phone. I have been stuck in a boot loop when the new ROM just won't take, but you power down & boot back into recovery, restore your backup or plug it into your computer and add another ROM to try.

I have not rooted the S6 I got this week (yet) So far I've found I can remove or disable some of the apps I don't want or need. I'm sure at some point I'll decide that I needed more than 32G (but didn't want to spend the $$ for 64 or higher) and I'll root it to maximize the memory.

Hope that helps - good luck & I'll try to answer any questions you have!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thank you so much for the detailed information. I will do some research and read up before I attempt anything. Trust me :). I definitely wouldn't mind getting rid of the tmobile bloat. I've managed to turn a lot off and I use battery docter to help close up excess apps, etc. thank you again. I will look up some of these things you have mentioned like towel root. I fix computers and such, but I'm just all thumbs and somewhat paranoid to ruin my phone. I know it can make it better and once I figure it all out I will be much happier.

4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I never root my phones. Just never has the desire to do so.

5. Zemmyi

Zemmyi New Member

My Phone:
    Android
    For more and more phone users ,they want to update or install any new applications ,so they use the common tool to rooting phone device every time, but they have shoul encountered the same issues,like some phone application sotp to working or get the messages "failed to root ,device not supported"me too, then i see ,it never granted root access, what i need is a professional tool to rool Samsung,above all,the rooing tool can't harm any phone app,

6. Yankeyi

Yankeyi New Member

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Andeoid
    I agree with you , if i were the users ,i would spend some money to buy a professinoal software to root Samaung,waht the ipmortant things is it can promised to protected the phone device from harm after rooting,