Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Jumping Ship: Possibly going to the "Dark Side"

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by TheCellularPhone, Oct 20, 2010.

1. TheCellularPhone

TheCellularPhone New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola DROID2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon - Former: Virgin Mobile, Alltel, SunCom
    I recently moved to Charlotte and I'm getting pretty fed up with Virgin Mobile overall. The customer service is horrible(outsourced, IMO). Coverage is fine except when I'm at home(which, for now, is where I am the most). It's pretty much non-existant except when I'm on the top floor and when I do get a few bars on the lower floors of the house, sometimes I get a "you are within range of a Sprint private network. Please move outside the network and try your call again" message. The only reason that keeps me from making the jump is the plan I have(1200 anytime minutes and unlimited everything else for $40/month).

Anywho, I'm wondering if anyone in the Charlotte area has had a good experience as far as voice AND data coverage as I'm looking at the Droid 2, but not sure if I'll have the cash to put down now(I live in South Charlotte if that helps). I've heard it was excellent, but I'd just like to hear from someone else whose lived or is living here now with Verizon.

A few more questions since I've never set up a cell phone service with a contract online before: I got a Verizon rep(area manager) to run a credit check and was told I didn't need a deposit. Will it be the same thing if I decide to buy online at an authorized dealer like Wirefly or TigerDirect since the phones are MUCH cheaper than buying at a Verizon store? If not, can I get set up at the store with a free phone and then buy the one I really want online after the fact? If I can, will my contract be extended and for how long?

2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Something is going on here. That ""you are within range of a Sprint private network. Please move outside the network and try your call again"" appears when you are on an Airave device. This could explain why your signal is so poor, it seems that you might be on the fringe coverage of someone elses airave.

If you can find out whos it is, and disable it, you might just end up with a better signal.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    Verizon is rock solid in Charlotte! We have Sprint at work and it's horrible! You won't regret switching. I drive a 10 county radius of Charlotte for my job and Vzw is solid. Many times I have to use my personal Vzw line for work calls because I can't call out on the Sprint line. The areas I frequent in Charlotte include Ballantyne, Matthews, Pineville, Carowinds/Steele Creek area and my office near the south end.

1 person likes this.
  4. TheCellularPhone

My Phone:
    Motorola DROID2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    @Yankees368: Do you know if there's any way to disable someone else's Airave? I ask because I don't know anyone in the neighborhood and even if I did, I don't know if they'd be willing to disable it or make it unsecured or whatever. I just know that it's nearby after reading a little bit on Airave(no one in our house has the device).

@djjim: Thanks for the heads up. Is it solid as far as data coverage? (Ex: surfing the Web /downloading stuff with an Android phone)

5. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    That is very weird that you are on another houses network. There is no way to disable another persons airave. However, those people probably don't have it secured, and Virgin Mobile phones just arent allowed to use an airave (glitch)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  6. TheCellularPhone

My Phone:
    Motorola DROID2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Just wanted to say thanks for the info you guys. I have now officially gone to the "Dark Side"(Verizon). A few nights ago finally did it for me. I called my wife and after saying I'd call her back later, I couldn't call until the next day due to someone in the neighborhood coming home and using their Airave. I guess Virgin Mobile phones aren't allowed to, but my brother has Sprint and has the same problem, though admittedly it's not quite as bad(he has a Blackberry Curve).

So, yeah, here's to a good time with Verizon(hopefully) and my new Droid 2, which I got a ridiculously good deal on :)