Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

JD Powers awards

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by larry, Oct 2, 2001.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint has won the 2001 JD Powers award for New York Metro.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

well. They might have fooled them, but the fact of the matter is that Sprint's service in the NYC area is terrible. And to top that their customer care center is just as awful.---usual waits to speak with a person is 30-45 minutes, then when you are finally able to speak with someone, they are often unhelpful and unknowledgeable, making many mistakes along the way. Poor service all in all.

3. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

Dear larry:

One question I wonder if you yourself own a sprint phone, but the problem is that no buyers care that they won some award JD Power or whatever. Sprint could win a pullitzer prize but it still wouldn't help that there service is terrible. There are more negatives on this site about sprint than anything else. They might have had alot of activations but how many cancellations did they receive no one ever mentioned that in this forum. I have converted over 50 customers from sprint to various other companys because of there poor customer service, billing and dropped call problem. When customers start talking about the amount of dropped calls in there service I believe that an award can't speak for that.

4. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Now THAT, on the other hand, is a post I can really take to heart. That was a Tony-the-Tiger GREAT post!

Still, since it doesn't appear that Sprint it going away, I hope that someday they work on improving customer service. From Larry's other posts, one positive step in the right direction seems to be website automation they've put in place. I've yet to read of anyone getting replies to customer service requests--whether the reply was good, bad or indifferent. They are also actively putting up a number of more cells (stations), so time may be kinder to Sprint, eventually.

Though the talk of Sprint being "acquired" has calmed down, I'm wondering if that is that is still seen as a viable option by Verizon.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

They should of gave the award to Nextel or Verizon, I mean seriously.... How did sprint win that award..? their service in NY just plain SUCKS and it sound like the the same everywhere else.

6. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Dear CellguyNY,

Since I live in the Los Angeles area I can't really say how the service is in NYC because I've never been there but here in my area the service is excellent. No dropped calls and I have never been overcharged for anything in the 3 1/2 years I've been there. Customer service is not even an issue since I do everything online. Their online automated system is tops! I also know a lot of people out here who have left other carriers for Sprint and are very happy. Oh yeah and one more thing: I will believe JD Powers over anyone in this forum.

Larry

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I can't speak for LA Larry this is true and I am glad you can but think about this for a second if so many people enjoy it out on the west coast then why would they win the award on the east coast when i have lots of unsatisfied customers who don't want to deal with them any more. I am not talking about one or two here were talking about at least 20 to 30 customers who are making a stink. Maybe they should have been up for the award in California. Don't you think so. There are plenty more companys on the east coast that should have one that award, but you cant agree with every award. Just like I believe that the Oscars and Grammy's are a tad fixed so does the JD Power award.

8. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

Just to clarify who the anonymous user is above me that was my post. Login failed sorry

9. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

Furthermore larry i did some looking at JD Powers myself and how come sprint pcs didn't win in the California area i mean you like them so much you live in LA and it seems that AT&T and Verizon own that State Sprint only one two, where verizon and AT&T killed them in the national arena. So if sprint one New york Metro and everyone complains about them and in california everyone loves them and they didn't win there so how viable is the JD Powers award this year for telecommunications. Unfortunately this award i cannot see as a viable source they don't put Nextel in there at all and they only let three compnays compete in NY metro Verizon, AT&T and Sprint. Well obviously they are not the only companys offered in the NY metro area how come Nextel or Voicestream was no represented. The kind of award should express the views of the total populos not just three companys, Don't you think.

10. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Cellguy,

Calm down dude. Larry is nice guy. Lets keep it friendly. I dispise Sprint very much, but Larry is entitled to his opinions about Sprint quality just as much as you and I are entitled to feel the way we do. You and I will continue to warn people against Sprint and Larry will continue to defend a company he feels is worthy of respect and condemned unnecessarily.

Kevin

11. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The reason they didn't win the CA award is because it's very tough to dethrone the old timers here and all the carriers have great service in this region. AT&T and Verizon have an advantage because the networks that they bought out have been around for so long. Sprint and Cingular have built theirs from scratch so of course they need more time. But I bet Sprint will win an award in CA within the next two years. The reason VoiceStream was not entered is because they simply don't have enough subscribers to qualify for the award. Oh well, once they do they will get their chance.

12. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Larry, wasn't it you that posted that Sprint bought out a network in the Central Valley. I really wish you'd stop beating that dog ("Sprint built from the ground up"). Its dead. All firms have worked diligently to improve and further-build their networks. I used to read the ATT monthly newsletter (in my bill) and every month there was info on towers that have been added. Across the board we have to believe that JDPowers awards were based on consumer satisfaction. Though everyone here seems to contest the report (including me), to be fair we have to say that if the award was won for performance in one region, then it must be true in all regions. So the argument that ATT and Verizon won only because they've been longer doesn't hold true because if it was, they would have also won the NYC award.

13. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Kevin, No the only network that Sprint bought was PrimeCo's Hawaii network in 1999. The Central Valley area has always been theirs thru a company called Via Wireless that they hired to build it for them. The license that Via Wireless/Ubiquitel PCS used to build that region belonged to Sprint. I agree that all firms have worked hard to build their networks but still many have had a much easier time doing so because the majority of the infrastructure was already there when they purchased it and you can't dispute that. Now as far as AT&T and Verizon are concerned I still believe they won most of those awards because of what the original companies did for them such as GTE, Bell Atlantic, Cell One, etc. As far as I'm concerned Verizon is a monopoly and AT&T is bordering that as well. Nextel, VoiceStream, Qwest and Sprint have my respect. For example in Los Angeles, I believe that Airtouch deserves the credit for winning the award 6 years in a row before this year. If AT&T won the award this year then LA Cellular probably deserves the credit.

14. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    :)

As long as Sprint, Cingular, Voicestream and other smaller companies remain, it would be very hard to prove the monopoly idea. Just look at Microsoft. Gadzooks, if ever there was a monoply that's one. Yet, look how much that is debated even in court. Verizon is a pussycat in comparison to that lion.

15. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Ok you do have a point there. If Verizon were to swallow up Sprint would they be a monopoly?

Larry

16. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

I am sorry if i got a little out of hand yesterday fellas. Its just that when my customers come yelling back at me for something i have no control of its a little frustrating. So on the other hand i respect Larry on his views and I am furthermore interested on what is going on in California. We can get the whole nations perspective this way and just a rebuttal on that whole verizon take over sprint issue. It would honestly be bad for business and the other companys. I am actually hoping sprint makes there service a little better out here until then i still have a gripe with them ever since i worked for Radioshack my Junior year in High School they were never that good. Look forward to more posts