Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Italian tower setups

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by ShoresGuy, Feb 26, 2006.

1. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    As many of you may have noticed, I added a large amount of pics. The pics are mostly sites located along the A4 highway between Trieste and Venice. While traveling to and from Venice during my visit, I noticed 3 distinct types of tower structures. The most common setup is the latticed tower setup with a triangle-shaped structure which accommodates either 1 or 2 rows of either GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 900/1800 or GSM 900/1800/UMTS 2100 panels.

The second most common structure was the monopole. These were often located only a mile or so apart from larger, primary lattice towers. The hardest thing with roaming in a foreign country and taking pics of the towers you think your phone might roam on is that it's hard to ascertain who exactly uses the tower. TIM, Vodafone and WIND all have GSM 900/1800/UMTS 2100 licenses. The educated guess principle can't be used here either since 3 Italy also uses UMTS 2100 towers only while using GSM fallback roaming with one of the other networks. Italy is one of the few European countries to also offer EDGE (TIM Italy).

Rooftop sites were also available in abundance but not as densely spread out as here in Cologne.

For those who are interested, the pics are available here:

http://gallery.wirelessadvisor.com/...orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&cutoffdate=-1

Enjoy :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...