Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

it stinks when this happens...

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Hacken, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Hacken

Hacken New Member

this s****k! i can't change my area code from 715 to 414 milwaukee, wisconsin since Alltel say that it would roam in the area because they do not have a Alltel any where near by. what's worst is that my alltel motorola razor 2 phone just recently died on me and i still have 4months of service contract left with them too.....i hope that if or when Verizon does merge with Alltel i can change my area code to 414 and still keep the service with Alltel. I seriously hate switching providers.. too much money spent

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    If you take a Verizon number (414),or a Verizon phone as an upgrade, most likely you will be forced onto a Verizon rate plan in the process.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hi there, welcome to WA.

I agree with Jay, since there is no Allltel here, you will probably have to go on a Verizon plan if you change to area code 414.

I also wanted to comment on Verizon's coverage in this area. It is rather poor, specially indoor coverage. The best CDMA service in this area is provided by US Cellular, if I didn't have to have a GSM phone I would have gone with USCC.

As long as your contract is up in 4 months, I recommend you look into US Cellular for great coverage.

PS: Verizon's coverage maps do not depict true coverage, I was with them for 3+ frustrating years and forced roamed on US Cellular to have a working phone, specially indoors.

Hope this helps and welcome to area code 414/262. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Wrong and wrong, although a number change will likely cost $25. With very few exceptions, purchasing and using a VZW phone will NOT cause you to lose your converted Alltel plan.

5. Hacken

Hacken New Member

I was with U.S Cellular for three years before I left to Alltel just about almost 2yrs now. Sprint and Verizon has poor coverage as far as I know. I might just look into U.S Cellular again..if I have no choice.

6. Hacken

Hacken New Member

great guys! i just bought a SCH-R510 samsung wafer cellphone to replace my dead Razor 2 cellphone and ontop in the corner where the antenna it has a "R" which I suppose it stands for ROAMING. WTH? I call one of the rep to activate the phone and he says "welcome to verizon alltel"... i suppose they are done with merging or something.... ?

7. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Its good to know that everything worked out for you.

8. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

There is no more Alltel. Verizon finished the consolidation of the last group of Alltel billed customers on 10/17. Alltel is no more.

There are still trust markets that will continue under the name of Alltel, but they have already been purchased by separate buyers and are awaiting conversion in billing; no time frame on that but they aren't really "Alltel" customers.

9. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    Not true. There are at least three "holdover" markets here in Michigan which will eventually become Verizon. I understand there is at least one in Wisconsin as well. I suspect that there may be few others where Verizon has to sell their own assets instead of Alltel's. We are not divested markets and therefore not trust markets. There is simply a bunch more legal stuff to overcome before the final transition is made. Meanwhile we remain as Alltel customers on the Alltel billing system.

1 person likes this.
  10. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    Nope. We are still awaiting approval on all of the divestitures, ATN & AT&T.
    They can't officially buy the markets, or even touch them, until final FCC approval.
    (We're on Day 113, and they have 180 days to decide: ATN - Verizon Wireless: WT Docket No. 09-119)

And yes we are officially still ALLTEL until the markets are purchased AND transitioned. ;)

In all about 15-17% of the original Alltel markets are still operating as "ALLTEL."
    I'll be going to ATN, if approved, until then I'm still enjoying Alltel as much as I ever did. :)

11. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Holdback markets may never become VZW markets. Those who hold the rights to the markets are in no hurry to cede them to VZW and no movement AT ALL has been made. I don't count those.

The divested markets do exist under the name Alltel, but they are that in name only. Alltel has had no part of them since January; a trust is running them.

So, effectively, ALLTEL IS GONE.

12. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    First off, they are holdover markets not holdback. Just because you don't count them means nothing. Most of the markets in Michigan which are holdover are such because the AT&T purchase of the Verizon assets in those geographic areas has not happened yet. It will as soon as the FCC approves the transfer--which is complicated by the sale of Centennial to AT&T in some of the same areas.

Yes, there are a few geographic areas that the majority owners of certain Alltel assets have not agreed to terms. That is a different mess.

According to the letter I received from Verizon, the holdover markets--at least the one I am in--will "remain Alltel for now." Their words--not mine.

13. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

My final word: Call it whatever you will. I work for VZW, fomerly worked for Alltel, and it is a fact that ALLTEL as a corporation is gone. The name Alltel now lies with a trust that is just overseeing the markets until they move to other buyers.

The name may say Alltel, but Alltel is GONE.

14. every1nosme

every1nosme New Member

have you ever been wrong? i mean seriously, i still get a bill that says alltel, i still mail a check written to alltel, and when i call *611 i still get a "thank you for calling alltel" right before i talk to a person who identifies themself as an alltel employee. so for all intents and purposes you may be right but it just seems a little contentious to argue something that makes no difference one way or the other.

15. Hacken

Hacken New Member

yes, you are not the only one that still gets a mail with the ALLTEL logo on it every month like me too..

16. Hacken

Hacken New Member

by the way...i called a local verizon up to see if i can just switch right over to them since they own ALLTEL now and the rep tells me YES! no PROBLEM and then the next day i go there and they tell me... SORRY WE CAN"T DO THAT?...he even tells me that i have to pay a deposit to get services with them...screw it!

17. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

You obviously CAN start service with VZW but probably not port your existing number. When they ran your credit to start up service it came back as deposit required. What's so hard to understand about that? It's just starting service with a new carrier, after all. Also, if you are currently under contract with the Trust that runs what used to be Alltel, you would also have to pay whatever ETF they charge as well.

18. Hacken

Hacken New Member

I dont know what you're saying here with the "what's so hard to understand" but maybe you didn't read my previous post clearly. he even said it over the phone that verizon can change it over with no problem so, that is why i went there the next day and he's telling me something totally different saying verizon can't. maybe he shouldn't work at verizon if he doesn't know JACK!

19. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

No disagreement, but we only have your side of this. Maybe you were given incorrect information, or maybe on the phone you weren't clear what you really wanted, or they misunderstood you - many things could have resulted in the miscommunication.

20. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    You might be better off waiting out your contract then porting to US Cellular. If you're having this many issues with Alltel/Verizon, why bother? Is having a 414 number really that important to you?

If you do go with Verizon, you're stuck for two years. Now, depending on the phone you get, you could be paying a higher ETF if you want to break your contract.

Oh, and don't forget, you're dealing with people, who WILL screw up, give you the wrong information, and won't always tell you what you want to hear. Integrity and truth in business is a fickle thing these days. Research and get as much information as you can, as it's better than depending solely on the words of a sales rep at a store.

21. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

I hate it when you get a lousy rep who doesn't know what they are talking about.

22. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

But remember the flip side: Reps hate it when customers are unclear about what THEY are talking about, resulting in misunderstandings as well. It's a two way street.

23. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.61 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

We should change nicknames. Rofl.